Screensaver Behaviour

billbob2020

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just got me first dashcam and its the 522GW. I turned the settings to screensaver on as I thought it would be less distracting than having the screen on all the time. This does indeed turn the screen off shortly after starting, but then weirdly every 4 or 5 minutes the screen turns back on again for 10 seconds or so, before going back off again. I can't see any reason why it would be doing this? It hasn't triggered a protected recording. I have also lowered the g-sensor sensitivity to low.

Is this normal behaviour for the model? It is quite distracting and I will end up turning the screensaver setting off if I can't get to the bottom of it.

Thank you for any replies!

I've never heard of this issue before... May be worth trying the re set button, or try to re download the latest update firmware...

Motion detection?

en off shortly after starting, but then weirdly every 4 or 5 minutes the screen turns back on again for 10 seconds or so, before going back off again. I can't see any reason why it would be doing this? It hasn't triggered a protected recording. I have also lowered the g-sensor sensitivity to low.

Is this normal behaviour for the model? It is quite distracting and I will end up turning the screensaver setting off if I can't get to the bottom of it.

Thank you for any replies!
Hi there,

This sounds like a Firmware bug. What Firmware are you currently on please? If you could direct message me your full name and address, I'll get the newest Firmware sent out to you which should remedy the issue.

Regards,
Millie

Hi Millie,

I am currently on firmware version R16.3 which is the latest on nextbase support page.

I looked at my car clock each time it happened this morning and it was basically every 4 and half minutes to 5 minutes the screen lit up, staying on for about 30 seconds.

I am not sure how to direct message you on this site? I see start a conversation but I don't think that is private?

A conversation is private. It's what other sites call Private Messages.

Me… a new member? Hardly! Still, it’s been a while, and I can see that no-one’s dusted in here since I was last in.

Any road up, I’ve just acquired a 522GW (since having a few years good use from a 312GW), so I’m in the process of putting it through its paces.

I’ve noticed a few threads mentioning a problem with the screen saver and I have a similar problem on my 522GW.

My car has the ‘stop-start’ system and it appears that whenever the engine restarts after a ‘stop’ the 522GWs screen comes on, and then goes back to screen saver 20 30 seconds later. Not much of a problem unless I’m queuing in traffic where the car is constantly stop-starting and the screen comes on and goes off.

The 12v socket (where the dashcam is plugged into) obviously stays ‘powered’ when the engine does a stop-start, but I notice that the blue LED on the charger plug dims when the engine restarts. So I was wondering if the slight voltage drop from the engine restarting might, in some way be triggering the 522GW’s into sensing the car is powering off? That being said, the recordings don’t appear to be interrupted throughout the stop-starts.

I guess that I could just disable stop-start on the car but for some reason, my car re-enables it again whenever I first start the engine with the key.

Firmware installed: R19.1
SD Card: 128GB Nextbase U3

Last edited:
I agree with Frayxius, for me same thing, screen comes on for 30 seconds when stop-start happens, doesn’t appear to be a problem, not worried about it

R16.3 R19.1 (just updated)
SanDisk 128GB

Last edited:
Clearly not much of an issue. TBH having read how the benefits of stop-start are more about car manufacturers keeping their emission figures sweet, and less about the car owner actually making any kind of savings, I wish I could permanently switch mine off.
The screen coming on and going off isn't so much of a problem on my normal long commutes on the motorways, but it can be a bit of a distraction when driving in busy city traffic - I'll just have to remember to press the deactivate stop-start button.

Last edited:
Clearly not much of an issue. TBH having read how the benefits of stop-start are more about car manufacturers keeping their emission figures sweet, and less about the car owner actually making any kind of savings, I wish I could permanently switch mine off.
The screen coming on and going off isn't so much of a problem on my normal long commutes on the motorways, but it can be a bit of a distraction when driving in busy city traffic - I'll just have to remember to press the deactivate stop-start button.

I had the same issue which annoyed me when the cam turned off and on with the stop/start when in traffic. (due to a battery issue which will be sorted when the shops open again !! ). I didn't realise that the fuse location I used was only live when the engine was running :rolleyes:. I just relocated the fuse to a ignition on/ live feed, the one for the 12v socket in the dash. It was my own fault for wanting to use a 'free' space in the fuse box as opposed to piggybacking. Hope this helps.

Mind you I had a weird thing happen to my 422gw the other day, mine is set up via the USB connection so I un plug it every time I stop for a certain period of time. Instead of booting down like usual when un plugging the 422 just kept on recording until I had to physically touch the power button & stop the recording myself...

Mind you I had a weird thing happen to my 422gw the other day, mine is set up via the USB connection so I un plug it every time I stop for a certain period of time. Instead of booting down like usual when un plugging the 422 just kept on recording until I had to physically touch the power button & stop the recording myself...
I find that happens to mine now and again as well ...when I switch the engine off the battery symbol on the dashcam has the lightning sign in it (to denote charging) even though there's no external power to it. I have to press the stop record and then power off button, otherwise it keeps on recording until the dashcam battery completely drains. Firmware fault?

I updated to the latest firmware version about 2-3 months ago, it's happened before this time aswell on the odd occasion... Never experienced it on my 412gw

Mine has the latest Firmware (R19.1) and it does it. Not a big deal - I'm sure NB have more pressing matters to deal with.

Hi,

What SD card are you using please? And how often is it formatted?

Regards,
Millie- Nextbase
Mine has the latest Firmware (R19.1) and it does it. Not a big deal - I'm sure NB have more pressing matters to deal with.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J 522GW 3
PikesPeakTRD 522GW 7
T 522GW 2
C 522GW 1
Back