Screensaver in latest fw

dvas

Reaction score
Country
Israel
I have installed the latest fw for v3 and i am missing the option to turn off the screensaver. Am i missing something or that feature is no longer available?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know mine shut down the screen after a minute, and i am sure i run the latest firmware.

I know mine shut down the screen after a minute, and i am sure i run the latest firmware.
I look the oposite like i had before the update. I want the screen on all the time.

Aaaa i think that was taken out, but better highlight the man to see what he say @jokiin

no plans to put it back, can give you a firmware version without it but all future updates will not have this function
That would be great. How can i get it?

I'm curious about the reason for this decision. Lower heat and lower power consumption perhaps? Or longer screen life?

I don't think very many will want always-on but having a full slate of choices is always nicer than having no choice ;) Given how much goes on in such little data-space it's understandable when that limited space is better used for other purposes. Oh for the perfect cam to be made :whistle:

Phil

I'm curious about the reason for this decision. Lower heat and lower power consumption perhaps? Or longer screen life?

Phil

that certainly comes into it, it serves no real purpose to leave the screen on all the time and it will get screen burn after some time, it can shorten the life of the screen, it adds unnecessary heat, the main reason we have stopped this function though is because the new models coming will all have 2 years warranty so it's more of a preventative measure to not have things that will break things for no valid reason, in most places it's a legal issue to have the screen on all the time as it's a distraction if the driver can see it and it's not a driving or navigation aid, not the primary reason but also was a consideration

It is silly to have that little screen going, i only use that on test samples to generate as much heat and power drain as i can.
But in day to day driving its like those people with the nav unit going too, though they are driving to or from work on the same route they been using the past 23 years, and you can see it cuz the are no route plot on the screen its just there and turned on as owner want to display how IN he are with the gadget scene.

Thanks Jokin (y)

Dashcam displays aren't legal here in SC if they are visible from the driver's seat when the car is on the road :eek: OK when parked, but not when driving ;)

Phil

those people with the nav unit going too, though they are driving to or from work
The satnav gives you reminders when you speed up inadvertently, also tell you where the fixed and mobile speed cams are situated, and if there are traffic conditions ahead, etc.
Even if there is no traject active. I have both (embedded dashboard and add-on Garmin) ON at all times, like the dashcams, with the contact, never touch them.

OT:When going travelling in unknown regions I add the Tomtom. Especially in UK one gives me speed/distances in miles, the other in Km.
And for planned traject, one gives me the path to follow, the second time and distance to go "back home", wherever it happens to be that day.
So we can decide, after each location visited, if we carry on to the next or break it and continue tomorrow.
In other countries they have the same destination, one with, the other without toll roads/highways , so I can see the difference and decide if we bear the costs or not.
And now that the cars brake, accelerate and hold speed, stay between lines, and read road signs, I consider sending the car on vacation alone, and afterwards check what the dashcams have captured.

Hehe i forgot about that, but things like speedcams can only be supported on newer models,,,, i think.

We Danes are actually getting some fixed speed cams now, 11 places in the country and 3-4 of them looking in both directions.
I however have no doubt they will get vandalized pretty fast and i estimate within a year we will only have a few left.

I have never owned a NAV unit myself, the first of sorts i got was tom tom on my HP PDA then there was a large gap and then i got a smartphone i used, and now i use my tablet for NAV duty
But it is rare events as i never go unknown places, my 9 hour long drive around Jutland this summer was the first time in a decade or so i had a use for navigation.

Thinking about it one NAV app i tried on the tablet also had those overspeed warnings, but they was often out of tune with the limits on roadside signs, and the occasional beep from the app just annoyed me.
So i do my speed manual the old way, and if my timing are bad well then i will get a fine, but for the most i think i am good and i have my waze like app going to warn me of speed traps ( assuming it will support the unmanned speedcams too when they get installed )

But the way many Danes drive with the NAV unit on, then i dont think it is speed traps they are thinking about, of if it is they just brake in the last moment so they can arrive at their destination 0.00003 seconds earlier.

In general i think its the same as with so many other things, they can be used correct, or in whatever manner people choose to,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and that's also alright with most things as it dont endanger other people, but i reserve the right to laugh at the things i find silly.

...And now that the cars brake, accelerate and hold speed, stay between lines, and read road signs, I consider sending the car on vacation alone, and afterwards check what the dashcams have captured.
:D

I see an opportunity to save a lot of money on food and lodging. (y)

Imagine the drive thru of the future :D

Well, the car drives by itself up to the counter, the front windows gets down and the radio says:
35 liters of unleaded please.

Back