SD Card and Firmware issues

Eternalblue

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dear all,

it looks like latest Firmware for Q800Pro is having some issues using SanDisk Ultra A1 SDHC cards.

I was using 400GB fine for more than 1 year. As i got some power issues with my Cam which figured out to be my Cellink Neo having some bad soldering which i could fix i did upgrade Firmware to Version q800pro_66_1.02.01.
Once i did insert the card it says SD-Card error occured, Format is required. It says format successful, does a restart and says new FW found and looks like update is succesful.
After restart same error about SD-Card error. So i thought this 400GB card is damaged after recording continiously for over 1 year so i bought 64GB Version of it.
Same problem! Ok, i got another Q800pro from Amazon and could not properly connect to Wlan. So i did upgrade and get same error like above.
Last option i put those SD-card which came with the camera and no error, Wlan working, Camera is good for now.

Might go back to Version 1.01 and see if my other cards are working. I'm going to report back once done.

Cheers,

let me know
as i used a 400Gb A1 up until the card died

I've tried 64Gb and 128Gb Sandisk High Endurance cards now, and i get the same problem
Thinkware card back in, no problems

im on version 1.02.00

im in need of a bigger card, but the A1s dont last long as they are not designed for 24/7 recording

thinkware 128Gb is like £90, which i think is a rip off, but im getting the feeling they will last LONGER than the sandisk max endurance cards...

Before doing anything drastic, you should have a read of the specification of A1 vs A2 cards. The latest cards are A2.

The Application Performance Class 1 (A1) was defined by SD Physical 5.1 specification. Not only for storing maps, pictures, videos, music, dictionary and documents, it also enables user to be freed form sluggish for editing and updating data.

The Application Performance Class 2 (A2) is defined by SD Physical 6.0 specification. It makes SD memory card much higher performance than A1 performance by using functions of Command Queuing and Cache. Efficient flash memory management can be supported by Maintenance functions. Application Performance Class can be applied to UHS SDHC/SDXC Memory Card product family.

If you look at my recent posts, I am asking if anyone has successfully used the class 2 (A2) cards such as the

SanDisk Extreme 128 GB microSDXC Memory Card + SD Adapter with A2 App Performance + Rescue Pro Deluxe, Up to 160 MB/s, Class 10, UHS-I, U3, V30

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B07FCMKK5X.
In all the latest dashcams A2+ V30 seems to work without problems.

Last edited:
thinkware 128Gb is like £90, which i think is a rip off, but im getting the feeling they will last LONGER than the sandisk max endurance cards...
SanDisk 128GB max endurance cards have 10 year warranty, the thinkware card has 12 months warranty

SanDisk 128GB max endurance cards have 10 year warranty, the thinkware card has 12 months warranty
While this is true, it is worth noting that they may not honor your warranty if you tell them it was used in a dash cam.

"This warranty does not cover use of the Product in connection with the following uses or devices (as determined by SanDisk): (i) normal wear and tear, (ii) video monitoring, security, and surveillance devices, (iii) internet protocol/network cameras, (iv) in-car recording devices/dashboard cameras/black box cameras..."
SanDisk Warranty Policy

High Endurance and Max Endurance cards are warranted for dashcam use, they even feature dashcams in their advertising material for these models, but yes their other models like the Extreme U3 cards are not warranted for dashcam use

I try Sandisk 128GB Extreme mircoSDXC before, A2 U3,160MB/S SDSQXA1-128G-GN6MN, the Firmware is 1.02.01.
The result is " Please format the SD Card" after format 3 times and remove and plug-in the card again, it seem work.
But after a few trip, the " Please format the SD Card" come out again.
I also format the SD card with PC to fat32, but can't solve the problem.
I also try Sandisk 256GB Extreme mircoSDXC A2 U3, same problem.

Something is wrong for sure with new Firmware. While A1 400GB did work well before updating and a new 64GB card of same type also could not work for sure it is not a card issue.(Why this card did work 1 year and failed after firmware update. Dashcam should report format error and not say it needs to be formatted and then says all fine and next start or just a few days later the error kicks in again.)
By the way i could use those cards fine in my Gopro and on PC, no error with both.
Looks like Thinkware has lots of stock for their cards and need to sell them.
I get 128GB endurance this week and will report back.

High Endurance and Max Endurance cards are warranted for dashcam use, they even feature dashcams in their advertising material for these models, but yes their other models like the Extreme U3 cards are not warranted for dashcam use

Thanks for that information. Very useful.

Peter

High Endurance and Max Endurance cards are warranted for dashcam use

Yes. why i also recommend them, TBH i think people should buy cards with such warranty, but of course the damn things still have to be compatible with your system, which for some dashcam brands seem to be a challenge.
The Adata premium pro A2 card i have in my memory card test suite are also okay from the factory for dashcam use, though it is not listed as a endurance card.

productImage10376.jpg

Last edited:
I should maybe say, i have no idea how a Adata card would perform in a Thinkware camera.
But the 3 other brand cameras i have tested it in have been fine, a 4 one was a bit hit and miss ( zenfox t3 ) but i am sure that was the cameras fault cuz even cards that worked for other in their T3 did not work for me.

Personally i think i will never get a Thikware system due to their memory card issues, you should not be in a place where maybe 2-3 memory card models work in a camera, ideally most memory cards should work.
And in other brand cameras i have tested it is also rare i have experienced a memory card not working, making me think Thinkware go to great length to make it opposite in their cameras.

Last edited:
my Sandisk High Endurance cards will be going back for a refund 64Gb & 128Gb models

i have a Samsung Pro Endurance 128Gb on its way to try next

my Sandisk High Endurance cards will be going back for a refund 64Gb & 128Gb models

i have a Samsung Pro Endurance 128Gb on its way to try next
How are you getting a refund? What reasons are you giving for return? Amazon or eBay or who?
On my Thinkware u1000, I am using 2 x 128 GB Delkin ADVANTAGE cards DDMSDW660128. They are rated V30 for 4k. I used them extensively with a QVIA AR790 dual camera setup without problems but did have a problem with them on a QVIA 790S single-camera setup.
I would like to hear how you get on with Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB pro endurance cards.

The read / writ speeds on cards are usually as stated by the factory, but in this regard i have hit a wall some times.

So some camera recording, it is pretty easy to figure out what speed it have been writing at when you know the length and size of a output file, and in this case you often get to pretty small numbers line 4 MB/second or at least single digit.
So it would only be sound reasoning in my book that then the memory card i have with 15 MB/s write speed would be more than enough, but nooooooo :rolleyes: thats not the case i have found out some times, and i have had to put in a memory card with a 25 or 30 MB/s write speed, which just play havoc with my knowledge and reasoning.

How are you getting a refund? What reasons are you giving for return? Amazon or eBay or who?
On my Thinkware u1000, I am using 2 x 128 GB Delkin ADVANTAGE cards DDMSDW660128. They are rated V30 for 4k. I used them extensively with a QVIA AR790 dual camera setup without problems but did have a problem with them on a QVIA 790S single-camera setup.
I would like to hear how you get on with Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB pro endurance cards.

Hi

Its irrelevant where i bought them from because, 1) they are classed as "faulty" because they don't work, and 2) sending them back within the 14 days Consumer Rights Policy

Yes i think just incompatible are a good enough reason, at least within the first 14 days.

Got my Samsung Endurance Pro in 5am this morning and its still working perfectly
time will tell
but at this moment Intime

i recommend it

I have the latest Firmware

hmm, now i have an issue

unplugged the camera today (left my car at a car wash)
when i plugged it back in the rear camera gets disconnected and randomly reboots

put the thinkware memory card back in, all is ok

They really don't want us to use any other cards

im quite tempted to sell it and get a blackvue now

Just got off the phone with SanDisk support, they said for us to use Sandisk High Endurance or Max Endurance. I asked which was better and he said the MAX Endurance.

Back