SD card Issues when removed from DR900S

edmscan

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900S-2CH
I have a question for those here .. as well, maybe I am not the only one that may have had this issue.

I tried to do a firmware update using my Transcend 64 GB High Endurance SD card, and well .. it is shot. I cannot do anything with it. I put it in my pc and it shows nothing.

It is showing as 32 kb and not 64 GB that it is. At $80 for a new replacement card .. I am not that keen to buy a new one.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how I can fix it ?

For now, I am going to use a cheap 8 GB card .. running the latest firmware for the 900S 2 Channel.

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:
Have you run an SD test for fake sd card software at it? A free program called FakeFlashTest is one of them from HERE

So you put it in your PC and formatted it as Fat32 I presume. IF so it will only show 32Gb because thats all a windows format can show You either need to format it in the camera or use an utility like gui format x64 or similar

No .. it will only show 32 KB. The card is pretty much fried .. I am going to try a low level format. Guess we shall see what happens. Sad the card is like 2 months old and not a cheap card.

I just removed the card from the dashcam to do firmware upgrade to 1.008 ... the firmware update was fine on another card. But right now .. I would like to fix my SD card so I can use it. But it is not looking that is likely to possible.

EDIT .. the card is shot cannot low level format it. I threw it out and now using a SanDisk Extreme card. Too expensive to replace the $80 card with one of the same.

Last edited:
I replaced the card with a Samsung Extreme 32 GB card, the dashcam is much happier now.

I tried to do a firmware update to my High Endurance SD card, and well .. it is shot.
Kevin

I understand the frustration.
What brand and model was this fried 'High Endurance' SD card?

Transcend High Endurance 64 GB card. I think that I accidentally had the ignition on .. when I popped the card, thus corrupted it.

Luckily, with the latest firmware v1.08 - you can now update the firmware remotely over the Cloud - so no need to remove the SD card and do it manually.
You can currently do it with direct WiFi connect and the App - but from v1.08 onwards you can also update firmware over the cloud - so you don't need to be anywhere near the camera to do it.

Thanks .. but I don't cloud. I will just be more careful next time.

Hi. I have pretty much the same SD card. Went for the Samsung 128GB Endurance card cause it's cheaper than any equivalent card Blackvue sells. Samsung is a good brand. I believe the ones Blackvue sell are custom made Samsung SD cards or other brands.

You can (or should be able to) format the card straight off your Blackvue 900S. 1st time I put it in, it said "check SD card". Hold the wi-fi off/on button for a few seconds, it will say something like 'hold to format SD card'.

If you are still having issues with it, send it back to the retailer you got it from or to Samsung, for a refund or replacement. In NZ/Australia we have consumer legislation rights to request a replacement or fix or refund on products that don't work as intended, especially in this circumstance. I wouldn't go into advanced features or download firmware to update a Samsung SD card. You shouldn't have to download any firmware for an SD card.

If a recent Blackvue Firmware for the dashcam is causing trouble, consider contacting Blackvue Support for more professional help.

Hope it goes well.

BlackVue SD cards come pre-formatted to FAT32 so they work straight away in the dash cam.

Other brands do not come formatted to FAT32 is they are over 32gb, as this used to be the limit for FAT32.
To get these to work in the dash cam, you need to format it to FAT32 before you put in the dash cam, or it won't register and ask you to check SD card.

If you have a Windows PC, you should be able to format it to FAT32, unless you have Windows 10 which doesn't allow drives over 32gb to be formatted to FAT32 using the built in formatter.

You'll need to download a very basic FAT32 formatting program such as;
https://en.softonic.com/download/fat32-format/windows

Once the drive is formatted to FAT32, whatever the drive make is or size it will now work in the dash cam.

If you have a Windows PC, you should be able to format it to FAT32, unless you have Windows 10 which doesn't allow drives over 32gb to be formatted to FAT32 using the built in formatter.

no version of Windows formats cards larger than 32GB FAT32, will need to use a third party program

Sorry, that is correct.

There's a 32GB limit in Windows for FAT32 – meaning any drive (or partition) larger than 32GB cannot be formatted as FAT32 using their standard formatting tool. Fortunately there is an answer – a tool called FAT32 Format

Also fortunately you can do it in the BlackVue viewer. Handy that, isn't it.:ROFLMAO:

I thought that was the case but wasn't sure enough to say for sure, logical that they would though considering it's needed for the camera

It's not easy to miss it. There is a 'button' on the menu bar with the legend "Format". (emboldened as we seem to be shouting at each other):love:

Back