SD card needed for rear camera addon

AJWatson

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the 422gw with rear addon camera (plugs in, not on the back windscreen) and seem to be having issues with it. I'm currently using a SanDisk Extreme 126gb u3 card.
Anyway, I cannot get the rear camera to work and when I plug it in and click on the rear camera in settings it says none is connected. At best it shows a white rectangle for a few seconds before disappearing. After speaking to Nextbase they said the addon camera may be faulty and to return it via Amazon, which I've done. A second one arrived and the same issue.

Nextbase support is adamant the issue is the SD card and not the actual 422 camera and that I should buy the £65 Nexbase SD card.

Are others using none Nextbase SD cards with rear camera?

If the issue is the same with a #2 camera, then it cant be the issue, in that case it is either the wore to the remote camera or the plug in the main unit it plug into.

The sandisk extreme sure as hell is not a too slow card, but ! it is true some cards just do not work good in some cameras, it is also my feeling some brands seem to active narrow the range of cards that work with their cameras, and these brands are often the ones that have their own brand of memory cards.
While other brands of dashcams you have to work hard to find a memory card that do not work, currently i am trying to find one of my memory cards that do not work in a viofo system, so far i have not found anyone and i think i am on the #4 card i test ( testing each card for a month )

I have a large range of different cards i test cameras with to make sure there are no memory card incompatibility, cuz to most people in the world a memory card is a memory card and they can not be expected to know or understand the finer workings of these.
IMO dashcam makers should have a list of compatible memory cards on print delivered with the camera.

I bought the 422gw with rear addon camera (plugs in, not on the back windscreen) and seem to be having issues with it. I'm currently using a SanDisk Extreme 126gb u3 card.
Anyway, I cannot get the rear camera to work and when I plug it in and click on the rear camera in settings it says none is connected. At best it shows a white rectangle for a few seconds before disappearing. After speaking to Nextbase they said the addon camera may be faulty and to return it via Amazon, which I've done. A second one arrived and the same issue.

Nextbase support is adamant the issue is the SD card and not the actual 422 camera and that I should buy the £65 Nexbase SD card.

Are others using none Nextbase SD cards with rear camera?
Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with your rear camera. I would recommend the following:

Please remove the SD card, then press the reset button on the underside of the Dash Cam. Then, without the SD card inserted, please plug in the rear camera. Then turn on the front camera. Does it now start normally? Can you now see the rear camera image?

We do only recommend using a Nextbase SD card in Nextbase products due to the required write speed and continuously overwritten data. However the above will help to diagnose if the issue is an SD card issue, or a problem with the main camera.

If you could let me know the above, I can assist further.

Kind regards,
Millie

Nextbase Technical Support

Thanks. The camera has had to be returned to where I bought it from. Hopefully a new one should arrive later in the week.

Do you know when you'll have the 128gb SD cards in stock again?

Thanks. The camera has had to be returned to where I bought it from. Hopefully a new one should arrive later in the week.

Do you know when you'll have the 128gb SD cards in stock again?
Hi,

The 128GB U3 SD card is due to be re-stocked at the beginning of August.

Thanks,
Millie

I have the Sandisk Extreme Plus 128gb (170mb/s) U3 card and I don't have any issues with the card recording with the rear view camera. Sounds like you have flaky front or possibly rear view camera. My problem is the unit shutting down when sunlight hits it (heat) and the screen turns off. The red light comes on. The only way to fix it is use a pin and hit the reset button. Then the unit starts working again. Only happens in the summer months when there is heat and sun shining directly on the unit. I have tried different memory cards (including Nextbase 32gb to test and formatted). Tried different firmware and same result.

I was thinking of getting the 622gw unit but it sounds like this is a design flaw of the unit itself from reading others who have this shutting down. Basically, I am only using this unit during the winter, spring and fall. Rarely turn on during the summer.

The only positives about this camera is how clear the picture is, the suction cup option (yes, it does fall off the windshield when hot inside the car) and easy to copy the mp4 files from camera to computer.

Hello,

Again, please see my response to your comments on your separate threads:

Kind regards,
Millie

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A 422GW 6
Back