SD card recording time.

Wizard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a 2 channel BlackVue and have set it to the highest quality setting. Using my original 16gb class 10 memory card I only get about 6hours playback. Is this normal?

I am happy to buy a new memory card but was hoping for something that last a few days (ideally a week)

Any thoughts/suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

2 minutes of front + rear in highest quality and with 30FPS is about 175MB on my cam.
So 60 minutes is about 5,25GB.
Are you sure you're getting 6 hours? Do you use 15FPS or 30FPS?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. I am currently recording at 30fps.

I will check the exact recording time once home.

What's the largest card that you use, think I need to buy a 128gb class 10

You can use a 128GB card as far as I know.
I use a 64GB card in mine.

A 64GB card will hold about 12-13 hours of video from 2 cams in highest quality, highest resolution (FHD+HD) and 30FPS.
When I drive and something happens it means I have about 12 hours to get the video out before it is overwritten.

When the car is parked, the camera doesn't save video all the time. It only saves the video if motion is detected in the image or if the sensors are triggered.
Also, the camera records automatically only 15FPS in parking mode, which means you get more hours on the card.
So with the reduced FPS should make a 64GB card hold at least 18 hours of video, and if the cam only records 50% of the time due to motion triggering you should be able to still have video if the car is parked for 1-2 days.
If you buy a 128GB card you can get twice as much video on it. :)

I get 18 to 19 hours of footage on my 128gb card. Highest quality with firmware 2.007.

Parking mode does reduce the framerate to 15FPS. However, the filesize is still the same. Don't ask me why...

@stefxx: You are quite correct. I was amazed when I checked filesize for Parkmode recording vs Normal mode. This is WEIRD.
And my previous post about amount of MB pr minute is for Legacy Firmware, I didn't specify that.

In 2.007 it seems to create a 80MB file for 1 minute (front camera) and a 40MB file for 1 minute recording (rear camera) when quality is set to "highest".
So for 2 minutes of recording, the camera will create about 240MB of video files. Added up it becomes about 1GB for 8 minutes.
1 hour will then require about 7-7,5GB.
I was on a long drive yesterday and with my 64GB card I got about 9-ish hours of video on the card.
That seems to be correlating with your 18-ish hours on a 128GB card.

Parking mode does reduce the framerate to 15FPS. However, the filesize is still the same. Don't ask me why...

If the filesize is the same, the answer can only be half the amount of compression at 15FPS compared to 30FPS

Back