SD Card Size question

BravoPT

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Hello

I've just ordered my A119 from the Viofo store.

While i'm waiting, i would like to ask you guys, if a 16Gb Samsung SDCard will be enough for, let's say, 10 hours of driving + 2 or 3 saved files, or should i get a bigger one?

What's the size of a regular 3minute video?

Thanks in advance

Whoa. Thanks. I really need a new card then... I suppose for 1080p60 the files are the same size, right?

Whoa. Thanks. I really need a new card then... I suppose for 1080p60 the files are the same size, right?
it depends on a number of details the camera has to catch per second, I guess. the frame below is from a video file off 3min 1080p60 and the size of that file is 631mb while the average file size is 453mb, and my speed was a little over 55mp/h, I think. :)

1080p60_3min.jpg

Thank you all for your feedback. I drive 9-10hours a day. I will try to find a decent 128Gb SDcard for a good price, if not, i guess i'll get a 64Gb for start and then upgrade to a 128gb one. I don't think i will need to save all the footage from the entire day... So, yeah.

Thanks again :)

A 1920 x 1080 video recorded for 10 minutes at 60 frames per second results in a file size of from about 16 GB to 26 GB depending upon what is recorded. Those are the sizes of the files I've been recording over the last several months. I haven't looked into the reason for the difference although I suspect if the video has a lot of the same color in it (for instance, driving on an interstate with a lot of blue sky) then that video will be significantly smaller than one which has a lot of motion through trees, bushes, people, and very little sky (or other non-changing things).

I use a 16GB card for daily driving but when I go off-roading I'll put in a 64GB card and will upload its contents every 4 or so hours to a laptop.

A 1920 x 1080 video recorded for 10 minutes at 60 frames per second results in a file size of from about 16 GB to 26 GB depending upon what is recorded. Those are the sizes of the files I've been recording over the last several months. I haven't looked into the reason for the difference although I suspect if the video has a lot of the same color in it (for instance, driving on an interstate with a lot of blue sky) then that video will be significantly smaller than one which has a lot of motion through trees, bushes, people, and very little sky (or other non-changing things).

I use a 16GB card for daily driving but when I go off-roading I'll put in a 64GB card and will upload its contents every 4 or so hours to a laptop.
that sounds WAY too big. besides the fact that fat32 can't handle files over 4gb in size, so they would never get created. are you running some custom firmware to allow single files that large, with maybe a custom bitrate too?

1080p60 video should only be using about 150-250 megs (not gigs) per minute, which would work out to about 2gb every 10 minutes, not 20. otherwise you'd never even get close to ONE hour on your 64gb card, nevermind 4+.

I use 64gb cards in mine (i have 2x a119) and i easily get 8+ hours before it loops on the 64gb cards.

I'm attaching an image of one of my video folders. I have just verified that all the files in this folder are 1080p60 files. Please note the filesizes.

VideoFileFolder.jpg
If you see something wrong with this, please let me know so I can fix it.

I'm attaching an image of one of my video folders. I have just verified that all the files in this folder are 1080p60 files. Please note the filesizes.
If you see something wrong with this, please let me know so I can fix it.
A 1920 x 1080 video recorded for 10 minutes at 60 frames per second results in a file size of from about 16 GB to 26 GB depending upon what is recorded.
from the provided image of your video folder all I can see the file sizes only up to 2.6gb, not 26gb.
everything else looks OK. :)

Oops. How embarrassing! I don't know why I posted 26GB. Thanks to both of you for correcting me!

Does anyone know what the maximum sd card size is?
I've Heard people using 128 GB cards is 256 GB possible?

Back