SD Card size?

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

What's the optimum size of SD for a dash cam?

32Gb and 64Gb are common - is the 64Gb really essential, or is 32Gb fine?

And does it need to be a high write intensity card, or is that just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks for your input!

Today in the current market i would go for 64Gb for one channel 128 Gb for a 2 channel dashcam.
You can make do with just 32 Gb which will store about 4 hours of footage from a single camera, half that if you put it in a dual channel camera, but i feel that are a tad low as i don't always remember to take the memory card with me if i have something i want to share, and so the memory card might see another 2 hours of recording before i finally remember it.
You dont need the ultra fast ( write speed ) memory cards, no dashcam go there not even the new 4K + 1080p ones, but you dont want to go cheap either as there are fakes around, so best to buy memory card from a reputable local seller ( your local Amazon or local physical store )
And not least go with a known brand like samsung / trancend / A1 stamped Sandisk and so on, better to spend a few pounds extra.
When i tested the 0906 back in the day it dident seem like a memory card specific camera, cant recall having any such issues.

I am no expert on this subject but I can share my experience.
The capacity and the and type of SD Card depends on the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Some Dash Cams only accepts up to 32GB Memory Cards.
High Density Cards are normally recommended for some Dash Cams.
If you’re recording on HD then the larger card may be appropriate.
In my case my 64GB High-Density Card gives about 10 hours of continuous
1080p HD storage on my Aukey DR02 Dash Cam.
That’s just my two cents contribution on this topic.

Last edited:
Hi all,

What's the optimum size of SD for a dash cam?

32Gb and 64Gb are common - is the 64Gb really essential, or is 32Gb fine?

And does it need to be a high write intensity card, or is that just a marketing gimmick?

Thanks for your input!
Too small and they wear out too fast, twice the size = twice the lifespan, so for best reliability it is best to have a larger card, but I suggest you get the one that is the best £/GB and from a good brand. Currently that is either 64GB or 128GB.

For me, I pick the biggest size card my dashcam will support. Having stored historical information is important to me because I have had a few incidents where my vehicle was damaged and I did not see it until a day or two later. Once was on my rear bumper (I back in at most places when I park so I don't see it a lot) and another was vandalism on the passenger side of my car. In both instances it was at least a day or two after and I was able to see the incidents when I went back and searched.

Yeah thats a big deal if you don't use any forms of triggers while parked but just record, cuz they are will have to notice the dents yourself and that before the event on video are overwritten.
Reversing into a parking slot are a good idea, cuz i am sure most incidents happen from the "road" side of the car, so a very good idea if you only have 1 camera in the windscreen,,,,,, and are comfortable reversing which judging by what i see many people don't seem to be or should not attempt cuz they are that bad drivers.

Back