SD card unformattable after brief stint in DR650GW-2CH

Joshua Kriegshauser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Two days ago I installed my newly-purchased DR650GW-2CH in my wife's 2011 Honda Odyssey. I also have a previous one in my Nissan Maxima that I installed myself almost a year ago.

In the Odyssey I wired the PMP into a blank/unused fuse that has 12v with ignition off and ACC, 12v on Accessory and higher. I have a good ground--a screw that has other wires grounded on it.

The original Blackvue 16gb card had software version 1.007. I upgraded to software version v1.009, the same version running in my other DR650GW-2CH.

This morning when I hopped in and started the vehicle, it kept spouting "Please check the SD Card." I was using a PNY 64gb card formatted via the Blackvue viewer, so it definitely had FAT32 on it (and I'm all too aware of the exFAT issues with the 64gb cards). I swapped it out with the original Blackvue 16gb card that came with the brand-new unit, it powered up fine and I drove off.

When I took a look at the SD card on my computer, Win7 said that it needed to be formatted. The Blackvue viewer wouldn't detect it. I tried to format it through Windows and received the error, "Windows was unable to complete the format." The Blackvue viewer's built-in format option also gives the error, "The format has failed. Please check your microSD card." I figured that the card was bad.

This afternoon I go back out to the vehicle to go somewhere else and am once again getting "Please check the SD Card." This time on the Blackvue 16gb card. I check it out with the computer and am getting the same errors. I also downloaded and tried SDFormatter v4.0 and it appears to be successful (even with Overwrite and Format Size Adjustment), but still leaves the card in an unreadable state.

Why does my brand-new Blackvue DR650GW-2CH seem to be destroying SD cards?!? Does anyone know of any way to recover these SD cards?

Did you leave your car under "extreme" conditions like direct sunlight and the car interior turns to an oven?

Did you leave your car under "extreme" conditions like direct sunlight and the car interior turns to an oven?

January in San Diego doesn't count as any manner of extreme weather. In short, no, it wasn't in direct sunlight and the interior was not hot when we got in the second time.

Back