Sd Card

It's a conundrum.

Over the years the advice was always get the fastest card you can and avoid some cards as advised by some manufacturers. My old Nextbase 402 didn't seem too fussy but the higher HQ spec of the Nextbase 412 needed a faster write card.
That's when I got the Samsung Evo and it's still going strong. I've still got another new one in stock.

These high endurance cards are getting good press here but at the back of my mind is their U1 rating with slower write speeds.

Maybe when both my Samsung Evo's burn out there will be good U3, or higher, endurance cards around.

These high endurance cards are getting good press here but at the back of my mind is their U1 rating with slower write speeds.

Maybe when both my Samsung Evo's burn out there will be good U3, or higher, endurance cards around.
all the SanDisk High Endurance cards are U3, the Western Digital are U3 in the 128GB and 256GB versions

We currently bundle Sandisk High Endurance U3 cards for 32, 64, 128, 256.
We do use Samsung EVO Select U3 cards though for 512GB bundled products. (they don't make High Endurance in 512GB yet)
Samsung has been pretty reliable over the past 3-4 years. I did just replace a 512GB card for someone this week though after it failed after 1 year. They couldn't write to the card even on their computer, card locked into read-only mode

I have Sandisk A2 Extreme 128 + 256GB that run flawlessly in 2 Viofos. I also bought a Sandisk High Endurance 256GB that seems to be fine. I've never run into issues with Sandisk Cards. My A2s are powering along over a year later with no hiccups.

Useful info, thanks.

I'd never buy anything less than U3 for dashcams.

I wonder if Western Digitals takeover of Sandisk has had an impact on quality because years ago there were posted issues.

The entry level SanDisk Ultra cards should not be used in dashcams, that still stands, it's not that things have changed, more that people most often bought the cheapest cards which were the ones that were never suitable to begin with, prices were pretty high for a long time so it's understandable when most consumers perceive cards to all be the same

The other problem that cost SanDisk was being so popular they have been one of the most faked brands out there from dodgy online sellers

A U1 card has a write speed of 10MB/sec. A 4k Blackvue 900 2Ch has a bit rate of 25 + 10 Mb/sec. So a U1 is capable of 2.28 (@8 bits per byte) times that required of the 900.
So why do people insist on having a U3 or faster card?
Surely, it's just like putting an SSD in a video recorder. Absolutely pointless (other than the reduced noise level).

There's a thread on here about cards where a few folks were saying that high-spec cards were an absolute necessity for dashcams, and they went to great lengths explaining why. My response there (and here) is simply this: If a card works without problems it's a good card for that cam :cool:

That doesn't mean it's the best card or the longest lasting one, just that the card works fine no matter what the specs say. In the end, that reliability is what matters most. Unless it's a new cam, or a new card, or perhaps a less-popular card there is probably someone here who has tried it already, so that can help guide your choice. And just because the specs say it will work it might not- cams can be quite picky about cards.

Whatever card you decide to try, post your results here so that others may follow you to a good card or use your results to avoid a bad one.

Phil

The entry level SanDisk Ultra cards should not be used in dashcams, that still stands, it's not that things have changed, more that people most often bought the cheapest cards which were the ones that were never suitable to begin with, prices were pretty high for a long time so it's understandable when most consumers perceive cards to all be the same

The other problem that cost SanDisk was being so popular they have been one of the most faked brands out there from dodgy online sellers

Ya those Sandisk Ultra proved incompatible with my Viofo. However, Sandisk as a whole is a great brand.

Sent the card back to samsung still waiting for news. if i use a old multi function card reader with a sd card it reads ok . I bought a microsd card reader when i put card in you have to format the card. I have taken it out of the new reader put it back in dashcam says format card before use.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello

can someone recommend me a memory card which will actually work with 522gw with the rear cam attached?
i have selected a few and if someone has tried them with the rear can. would be great

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/mymemory...sd-card-sdxc-a1-uhs-1-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html ( the write speed is up to 50mb)
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/kingston...ard-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-v30-a2-adapter-170mb-s.html (2)
https://www.mymemory.co.uk/samsung-128gb-evo-plus-micro-sd-card-sdxc-uhs-i-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html (3)

i read somewhere that nextbase recommends there own or

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/sandisk-...micro-sd-card-sdxc-4k-u3-adapter-100mb-s.html (4)

which one should i get

Is the fact that the rear cam works or doesn't work related to the specific card in the cam then?
It seems that the most important words related to an SD card for a dashcam are "High Endurance" or similar.
Why not go for the one that NB recommends?

Is the fact that the rear cam works or doesn't work related to the specific card in the cam then?
It seems that the most important words related to an SD card for a dashcam are "High Endurance" or similar.
Why not go for the one that NB recommends?
Yes it's very much related .
Only front cam you can use u1 card but if you have the rear installed. Only u3 will work .
Nextbase memory cards are very expensive.
So I am looking more for a decent third party card .
I selected 3 cards and was looking for someone has actually tired then with both cams .
Most likely will try one of them . I guess

Back