SDHC v SDXC anomaly?

prawlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Garmin 55 plus
The Garmin 55 manual re cards says specifically on p5 .......

"Memory Card Class 10 or higher microSDHC up to 64 GB"

Yet AFAIK all cards above 32 GB are SDXC type with exFAT format. So isn't the above a technical contradiction?

I have ordered an expensive Samsung Endurance Pro 64 GB card which is of course SDXC. So I am now slightly concerned. I mean will this new card work ok in the 55?

Also, if I format it in the 55 will it be using exFAT format? I see on my PC the supplied 8GB card is using FAT32 and that is after I formatted it in the 55 dashcam.

Anybody been through all this? Any input on this would be welcomed!

Thanks

Peter

Most dashcams refuse to use anything other than FAT32 format and a 64GB card formatted as FAT32 doesn't qualify as an XC card so they can't claim in the specs that it can use an XC card. Doesn't really qualify as an HC card either, but there is no risk of being taken to court over doing so.

Nearly everything will read and write 64 GB FAT32 cards so there isn't any issue except that if you format it on your computer the operating system is almost certain to refuse to format it as FAT32, again for legal reasons, so you must format the cards in the camera.

I don't know what the situation is with the 55.

Thanks for that explanation Nigel.

So I expect the new XC card (exFAT) I have coming will need to be formatted in the camera (FAT32) before it can be used. Then all should be ok. I had assumed (incorrectly) that FAT32 could not be used for cards above 32GB.

Peter

Back