Searching a Dual Dashcam [reliability / parking mode /excellent video quality / capacitor / built in polarisation filter]

Regal

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello guys, :)

what a surprise, I'm looking for a new dashcam, I need advices from some experienced dash cam users.

My dashcam history:
I've used the Mobius action cam since six years, one in the front and one at the back. It's an amazing camera, but after all these years I have a lot of reliability problems. And I'm not realy a fan of it's design and from time to time it's out of focus and I don't like the parking mode so much. So that is the reason why I switched to two A119 cameras, because it's more functional as a dashcam. The A119 does a fantastic job, the parking mode is good, also the reliability but it's a huge step backwards regarding the video and sound quality, compared to the old Mobius camera v1. :oops:

My search so far:
Since a days I'm watching youtube videos of different dashcams and I'm wondering that even a lot of new dashcams can't keep pace with the video quality of this old Mobius. I mean also in terms of money, the Mobius was kind of cheap camera. o_O

I'm not realy sure how long I'm owning the car, so I don't realy like the fact that I have to build a cable through the car which connects the front camera to the rear camera. So now I'm thinking about buying two front cameras and install one in the rear and the other in the back, powered seperately. On the other hand, my car does not has a cigarette jack in the trunk. So I have to put a cable from the car console to the trunk anyway.

Or should I just get a dual view camera which can also record into the cabin like the Vantrue N2 or the Transcend DrivePro 520 (which I find way too big)? So many questions. :sick:

Another difficulty is the parking mode: my A119 front camera is currently recording non stop in parking mode, that's comprehensible because I park my car at a busy street right in front of my appartement, tons of people and cars passing by.

Things that are very important for me:
  • reliability
  • Something like a built in polarisation filter
  • Realy good wide angle
  • Excellent Video Quality at daylight
  • Very good Video Quality at night
  • good Parking mode
  • Capacitor
  • Video clips should not overlap
  • Video clips should be played without an extra program
  • 1080p60 should be enough

Things that are not so important for me:
  • Display
  • GPS
  • Wifi

Those Transcend and Vantrue cams don't have the vid quality of the A119 so I don't think you'd be happy with them. Perhaps the A129 Duo or SG9663DC will fit your needs, both are dual-channel with a remote rear lens module. Also you might want to look at the modified firmware being developed for the Viofo cams. With that the video can be considerably improved.

Phil

No camera come with build in CPL filter, but some do come with it from the factory, others it is a add-on purchase.
Best night time quality you get with cameras using the Sony IMX 291.
All video from dashcams can be played with a regular media player on a computer or phone / tablet for that matter, it is only if you want to see GPS information and so on you need a dedicated dashcam player software.
At the present time there are no option for a dual camera with 1080p/60 on both cameras or just the one of 2 running cameras, but most dual cameras if you don't install rear camera you can get 1080/60 on the front camera, but then its not dual channel like you ask for.
I have done testing with 2 similar cameras one recording 1080/60 the other 1080/30, and if one caught a small detail so did the other, so my own favoritism for 60 FPS footage died in that experiment.

In general i find wedge shaped cameras like SawMaster mention give the most stealthy install, but in some cars with the layout on and around the top center of the windscreen other form factors might be better as far as a stealthy install go.

Parking mode you have to be aware of a few things.
Some cameras now use always recording while parked but it is a time lapse recording to minimize heat generation inside camera on hot days, the FPS are often adjustable between 1 - 10 FPS.
This time lapse also mean a hour of footage take up much less room on the memory card Vs if it was regular 1080/30 footage.
Others use some form of trigger from motion detect or G-sensor, and ideal have a short buffer so you get a few seconds from before the triggering event.

Back