Searching a IR Cam with motion detection (battery operated surveillance camera for my parked car)

germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a small camera, but not a real dash cam actually. It will be placed in the car at night. It's only for that thing and I would like to put it on the dash board or on the head rest. And on the next day I will look at the footage and charge it again.

The conditions are:
  • Battery operated it will not be hardwired
  • Motion Detection
  • Reasonable IR mode, no matter if it's shooting pictures or video
  • Small size

I know there are those wildlife cameras which have my requirements. But it could be smaller it's not for having it for severy days outside, just for one night form time to time. And of course a smaller size would be good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00873DB5S
Can someone give me a recommendation?

Is it not possible to have some sort of video camera in your house or apartment, pointed at the car?
(May be an easier route)

I think a cctv camera for a private person is a no go in Germany, same as it is here at least if its pointing at a public area.

Not that it bother me as i have a PTZ IP camera at my car where it is parked in the yard, and mine is in no way hidden as its on my balcony door and 6 inch in diameter :D
This is at night when it is pitch black in the yard.

There is allso some small action cameras with build in IR light, i hada rollei once with both ir and white light ( 4 leds of each ) around the lens, but it wasent really any good.

Here is a video of that camera strapped to the roof of my blue and silver RC 4x4 truck, and at the end of the clip is some footage from that little camera.
I think its only the white LEDs i use in that clip, but as i recall the result was just about the same using the IR leds on the camera.

There is several simmilar cameras like that on fleabay. supposed to be watertight but mine drowned 1 day :(

To me in general it seem like the performance of action cameras under IR light is no way near as good as cctv cameras thats really designed for it.

There is the new up and comming panasonic hx-a1 which have a cool night mode, but that will need a IR ermitter on the side as it have no build in light itself,
I assume you could power the camera of a USB power bank, and the same with a IR light, but thats a lot of money to leave out in the dark ( use 940 Nm IR light as that cant be seen by the humen eye, or at least no way near as easy as the 850 Nm is that glow red at night )

Last edited:
Check out the Zetta ZIR32. It fulfills all your requirements and is a great product.

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a small camera, but not a real dash cam actually. It will be placed in the car at night. It's only for that thing and I would like to put it on the dash board or on the head rest. And on the next day I will look at the footage and charge it again.

The conditions are:
  • Battery operated it will not be hardwired
  • Motion Detection
  • Reasonable IR mode, no matter if it's shooting pictures or video
  • Small size

I know there are those wildlife cameras which have my requirements. But it could be smaller it's not for having it for severy days outside, just for one night form time to time. And of course a smaller size would be good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B00873DB5S
Can someone give me a recommendation?

Yeah that one for sure have better performance than my old rollei actioncamera :)

Only 720p but thats allso okay at least judging from the youtube videos.

Do remember IR lights might reflect off windscreen or other windows in car rendering footage more or less useless.

I have a IR modified toshiba camcorder, it too can do fairly good and 1080p, but it need a strong IR light.
Thats what is called a full spectrum recorder in ghost hunting, its no way near as sensetive as a proper tuned CCTV camera, for instaance my footage above from the yard, using the light off the PTZ camera is only enuff to see my licensplate with the modified camcorder, but in my livingroom with a 7 Watt IR light its sort of okay.
Here is my comparison of modded toshiba and modified G1W dashcam with IR pass lens.

Is it not possible to have some sort of video camera in your house or apartment, pointed at the car?
(May be an easier route)

No there is no possibility and where I live it's pretty hard to find a parking space so I have to park in different streets.

I think a cctv camera for a private person is a no go in Germany, same as it is here at least if its pointing at a public area.

Not that it bother me as i have a PTZ IP camera at my car where it is parked in the yard, and mine is in no way hidden as its on my balcony door and 6 inch in diameter :D
This is at night when it is pitch black in the yard.

There is the new up and comming panasonic hx-a1 which have a cool night mode, but that will need a IR ermitter on the side as it have no build in light itself,
I assume you could power the camera of a USB power bank, and the same with a IR light, but thats a lot of money to leave out in the dark ( use 940 Nm IR light as that cant be seen by the humen eye, or at least no way near as easy as the 850 Nm is that glow red at night )

Wow the recording quality at night of the PTZ IP camera is amazing. But as I wrote above I have no possibility to mount it outside my apartment and my car is not parked at the same places.
The Panasonic HX-A1 might be great but as you already said that's a lot of money.

Check out the Zetta ZIR32. It fulfills all your requirements and is a great product.

I think the Zetta ZIR32 is perfect. I just saw a video from it with footage that was recorded at night and that is exactly what I'm looking for:

The Zetta ZIR32 would be just perfect but it's not too cheap and actually there is no german or even european seller out there.

I recently found the Somikon DSC-50, which is about 130,- Euros.

It has Motion Detection, can record at night and the battery lasts 90 days in motion detection mode. That's what they sad. Too bad that there is still no test footage around.

On another forum someone says "In God we trust- all others must bring data". I would want to see video and reviews from a few different people before spending money based only on a seller's description. Too many people making unreliable claims these days.

Phil

I would want to see video and reviews from a few different people before spending money based only on a seller's description. Too many people making unreliable claims these days.
Phil

Absolutely, that is what I'm waiting for.

But I maybe just found out that the so called: Somikon DSC-50 is exactly the same as the Zetta ZIR 32

A picture of the Somikon DSC-50:

Back