Searching seriously now...

Graeme

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today, a car ahead of me at a stop light started backing up and threatened to hit me. With no witnesses, they could likely have claimed I rear-ended them. I'm now hoping to install a dashcam in my car in the next month.

This site has been very helpful. I'm still in the search and learning phase, reading reviews and deciding what's best. It sounds like it's between the DVR207, F500LHD, and the GS2000. However, there are several on Amazon that I'd like to learn more about, too.

1. SMARTY BX1000 PLUS 170 Smart Black Box Car Drive Recorder
2. Car DashBoard Video Camera Vehicle Video Accident Recorder DVR - 1080P Full HD Resolution Video, 2.0" LCD Display
3. Hdvr-150 Car Accident Camera Video Recorder Dvr
4. HZZ TM 2.7-inch HD Car LED Security Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder Accident Camcorder
5. R310 2.7-inch 140 degrees Dual Lens dash board camera car dvr black box video recorder + gps logger
6. BOOMYOURS 2.7" TFT 270°Rotating Dual Camera Lens HD Car DVR Vehicle Blackbox DVR with G-sensor & GPS Module & SD Slot

Hello Graeme,

Hope things are well.

You've come to the right place for advice, there is an exceedingly growing number of car camera products in today's market, however with a few reputable products to consider. I believe members here can steer you in the right direction.

By any chance have you read the Dash Cam Buying guide listed on this site? definitely a useful read to further enhance your knowledge on car cameras.
http://dashcamtalk.com/dash-cam-buying-guide/

Perhaps you can provide further info; budget, size, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
For budget, I'm thinking something under $200 if possible. I'd rather buy the right solution than get something that's cheap and will be difficult to use or break soon. That said, the $60 DVR-207 might be enough for now. I'm not sure I need a GPS yet or not.

I'd prefer to mount this near the rear view mirror or perhaps on the dash. If it's high, I could run power from the dome light to keep all the wires out of sight. I'd also like something that works automatically when the engine is running, perhaps working whenever the power is on.

If someone either backs into my vehicle or rear-ends me, I'd like to have evidence that shows it clearly to be their fault.

Graeme said:
For budget, I'm thinking something under $200 if possible. I'd rather buy the right solution than get something that's cheap and will be difficult to use or break soon. That said, the $60 DVR-207 might be enough for now. I'm not sure I need a GPS yet or not.

I'd prefer to mount this near the rear view mirror or perhaps on the dash. If it's high, I could run power from the dome light to keep all the wires out of sight. I'd also like something that works automatically when the engine is running, perhaps working whenever the power is on.

If someone either backs into my vehicle or rear-ends me, I'd like to have evidence that shows it clearly to be their fault.

I think you mean the 027.
I believe DashCamTalk has completed a comprehensive review of this unit which is available on the main website. The product is relatively simple in terms of features as you've mentioned, and quality is quite reasonable for an entry-level car camera @ 720P (High Def).

The cables should be long enough for you to run them alongside the interior of your vehicle and under the carpet to keep them tidy and out of the way. Most car cams generally turn on / off when the ignition is started / turned off.

Car cams are your best bet to dispute liability in the event of such incidents as mentioned. Not sure about the U.S. , however in Australia your deemed liable if your vehicle rear-ends another.. regardless of the situation.

Hope that helps.

Hi Graeme,

1. SMARTY BX1000 PLUS 170 Smart Black Box Car Drive Recorder

The Smarty BX1000 is an older camera from 2009. It really is out of date since it has no audio recording and it is not an HD camera (records at 640x480p). There are much better cameras to choose from at cheaper prices

2. Car DashBoard Video Camera Vehicle Video Accident Recorder DVR - 1080P Full HD Resolution Video, 2.0" LCD Display

That is just the Carcam K2000 (link on main site). A budget camera based on the Novatek camera. Not the greatest.

3. Hdvr-150 Car Accident Camera Video Recorder Dvr

An interesting cam since it clips on the mirror. Read more about it in this thread and this thread.

4. HZZ TM 2.7-inch HD Car LED Security Vehicle DVR Road Dash Video Camera Recorder Accident Camcorder

That is the Rearview Mirror DVR (link on main site). Same internals as the K2000.

5. R310 2.7-inch 140 degrees Dual Lens dash board camera car dvr black box video recorder + gps logger

Can read a bit about the R310 in this thread. Video quality is the biggest drawback.

6. BOOMYOURS 2.7" TFT 270°Rotating Dual Camera Lens HD Car DVR Vehicle Blackbox DVR with G-sensor & GPS Module & SD Slot

Same as the R310 above with a different name.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks much, DashCamMan. I'm guilty of reading too much on Amazon review without doing the same here. It's making a lot more sense now that I read more of the detailed FAQs here, though at first I wasn't sure about the age of the FAQs and models.

Right now, I'm between the DVR 027 or the F500LHD. The DVR 027 looks a bit easier to conceal on a visor or in front of the rear view mirror, but the F500LHD has better resolution. Time for more research here.

Thanks again for putting all this together. With all the similar models and fakes, this site is an incredible help.

Graeme said:
For budget, I'm thinking something under $200 if possible.
You said $200 so keep your word. ;)
So forget your actual decisions like 027 or F500 and search for an Itronics ITB-100HD under $200 using some paypal deal from a korean vendor. Make some search on this forum about Itronics and if not clear you can ask again here or me on private message.

enjoy,
Mtz

I just wanted to chime in as a DVR-027 user.
The DVR-027 is a nice camera for 60 dollars I always recommend anyone looking for a dash camera to at the very least start here, but now that i have used it for about 4 months or so I do find myself wishing i had gone with something just a little more nice, (1080/GPS)

If you have the budget. I would do one of two things.

Buy something that does 1080 and has GPS as a front camera
or
Buy a DVR-027 and read up for awhile find something that does 1080 that you like buy it and then set the DVR-027 up as a rear facing camera.

Many people are thinking bad, in my opinion, sorry.
For me there is no "start camera".

The user must to know what he wants from the beginning and read the DCT dashcam comparison for example and forum, watch youtube videos before.
The price of "start camera" + "this camera I should buy from the beginning" is bigger than only "this camera I should buy from the beginning".

But if you really want a "start camera" at about $60 think to use it about one year because in this time the technology is evolving more than in just one-two months. A "start camera" with average quality at about $120 is more a bad decision in my opinion. Spend more $80 for the real s*it.

I hope the "start camera" users will not thinking in this way when driving:
"Hmm... I bought the "start camera" because I don't want to spend more. I know the quality is not great and I hope to not have some accident and need some details from it. Hmm... that black car have an angry driver... I hope my "start camera" will capture the details if something bad. Hmm... better to stop to not have any problem, because I am not so sure even if my dashcam is running now. Hmm... Mtz said in that thread to wait one year. But can I resist one year with all these thoughts in my head? Fck his teory, I will buy the best dashcam for $200. I will put this "start camera" in the back of my car. Oh yes, I am sssooo smart! Fck the black car driver, I am going to read the forum."

So if you will buy a camera, no matter if paying $60 or $400, it is not your "start camera", it is "your camera", your best decision even it is cheap.
But life is so short and freedom is so important, so we need the best things from it.

enjoy,
Mtz

Mtz said:
Many people are thinking bad, in my opinion, sorry.
For me there is no "start camera".

I would not say thinking bad of it, while i do agree that someone should get the best camera they can afford, but everyone is different.

Some people just don't have the $200+ to spend on a higher end camera or may not have the money to get one at the moment but at least want a camera in case something does happen, and may have more money down the road. It might not be that they did not want to spend, but that they do not have it to spend. All kinds of people buy these cameras from a younger driver who may just be getting their permit and be driving a $1000 1980s Toyota to people who have been driving for years or who have a 50 or 60 thousand dollar BMW

This is new to some people and not many people would spend 200 dollars on something they just learned about but may be willing to drop 60 or so dollars to become familiar with the idea.

While DashCamMan has done an amazing job building this site and all its resources it does take time for someone to read understand and be able to make an informed buying decision with so many choices

I personally believe having a decent camera is better then having no camera at all and if someone was in this situation where they just come into learning about all this and wanted to take time to research and decide what they need I would defiantly recommend at the very least buying a DVR-027 so they have something decent and reliable and then taking the time to research and find what camera has what all they are looking for so they have something in the car while they are researching in case something does happen and then buying a nice higher end camera putting it up front and putting the DVR-027 in the back.

You didn't understand all my story, I know my english is not good.

Don't buy a "start camera". But the best camera you can, even it costs $60 and is a DVR027. Buy it believing in it and in your decisions.

enjoy,
Mtz

My mistake I read your post incorrectly sorry

No problem, CheckYourLights. ;) Because of my bad english I am prepared for misunderstandings.

enjoy,
Mtz

A lot of people are looking for the cheapest camera and end up buying a very poor quality one. For these people, they would be better off spending $60 to get a real DVR-027. Video quality is much better than the cheaper cameras and reliability is decent.

After much more research, it's between these. All look good during daylight to me. Will all three models likely allow me to read a license plate at night, or will one or two models do much better in that aspect? I don't see myself using gps or wifi.

1. DVR 207 (newest model) for $70. Good reliability, 720p, only average for night quality.

2. F500LHD for $100. Good reliability, 1080p. Better resolution, might be harder to conceal.

3. ITB-100HD for about $183. Less reliability, but better night quality. Easily concealed, wifi and gps aren't something I see myself using. The question here is if the higher night quality with lower reliability it worth the $113 or $83 higher price.

I don't know why you said the ITB have "lower reliability". Can you explain?

Regarding reading license plate numbers during night I have my own idea:
- a wide angle is not so good as the normal angle because it make the objects look smaller. So the characters from the plate will be smaller
- a good night quality camera is increasing the light so the number light will be more reflected like a bright blob so you will not see the characters from the plate

I made a test here:

enjoy,
Mtz

Graeme said:
After much more research, it's between these. All look good during daylight to me. Will all three models likely allow me to read a license plate at night, or will one or two models do much better in that aspect? I don't see myself using gps or wifi.

1. DVR 207 (newest model) for $70. Good reliability, 720p, only average for night quality.

2. F500LHD for $100. Good reliability, 1080p. Better resolution, might be harder to conceal.

3. ITB-100HD for about $183. Less reliability, but better night quality. Easily concealed, wifi and gps aren't something I see myself using. The question here is if the higher night quality with lower reliability it worth the $113 or $83 higher price.

For what it's worth, my short list was virtually the same... DVR-027 (now DVR-207) or ITB-100HD.

I thought about the F500LHD also, but it looked too bulky and not very discreet.

I ended up getting the ITB-100HD. It would've been nice to have the DVR-027's rechargeable battery and built-in display, but picture quality is my #1 priority, and at the end of the day that is what swayed my decision towards the ITB.

I initially didn't care so much for the gps either, but after using the device I find it's actually quite nice to review videos and watch your car move around on google maps. It's also nice to see your driving speed written on the video, even if that information may be incriminating (you can choose to disable this from being written to the video).

Mtz - The 'lower reliability' came only from the Dash Cam Comparison article where the DVR 027 and F500LHD had 'Excellent' reliability and the ITB-100HD had 'Average' reliability. Has the ITB-100HD gotten better, or were initial problems resolved?

The Itronics hasn't been out as long as the DVR-027 or the F500LHD. Overall, perhaps I was too harsh on the reliability and it should be rated above average. But you can see in the Itronics forum, the camera has it's share of issues (dead cameras, problem beeps, etc.). For the most part, it appears the camera has a relatively good reliability record but most people have owned it for less than 6 months! Give it a few more months and depending on feedback, I will up the rating.

Although I like the Itronics model better, I just ordered a Livue LB100 for about half the price. It looks like a good starting point.

Back