Second time buyer for new front camera... Move existing front to rear?

andrewsfm

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I currently have a DOD LS300W Plus (similar to the G1WH) which has the Novatek NT96650 / Aptina AR0330 combined with a larger than usual F1.6 / 140 degree lens.

The battery is shot and does not hold a charge so it cannot shut down gracefully and it does occasionally freeze maybe every couple months after continuous usage.

I'm looking to do a front and back camera setup, by moving that existing camera to the rear and replace it with something that will be an upgrade in video quality for the front.

My number one requirement is low light clarity.

I'm considering the Viofo A119 ($90US) because of its higher resolution and bitrate but how much of an upgrade is it compared to what I have?

If it's not that much of an upgrade, should I maybe keep this one at the front and by a cheaper GW1-S ($55US), A118 ($65US) or maybe another G1WH ($54US) for the rear?

My number one requirement is low light clarity.

I'm considering the Viofo A119 ($90US) because of its higher resolution and bitrate but how much of an upgrade is it compared to what I have?

If it's not that much of an upgrade, should I maybe keep this one at the front and by a cheaper GW1-S ($55US), A118 ($65US) or maybe another G1WH ($54US) for the rear?

In comparison to what you have the A119 will be a noticeable improvement in low-light, but the A119S will do even better there. Choose based on whether you find the A119S daytime vid quality acceptable as the A119 is a hands-down winner there. The G1W-S is a really good value and the cheapest decent low-light dashcam but it's vid quality isn't great and daytime vids will be a less sharp than you get now from the DOD. It is acceptable to me though only just, but at night it will outperform the DOD by a considerable margin. The A118 series and G1W series cams are pretty much the same as what you have now, not really an improvement. And by all means if the DOD is still reasonably reliable it can be re-purposed in back which is less important than in front.

My guess is that you'll find one of the A119's to your liking as they offer very good vids for the money but choosing between the two might not be easy! Be sure you get the improved V2 version.

Phil

From another thread - VIOFO are planning to bring HDR to the A119, which will add even more value
We are still improving the current A119.
Novatek released new SDK to support OV4689 HDR, maybe we are the first to sync the SDK.
And we are tuning IQ now, but this will take time before releasing.

Attached HDR ON and OFF comparison, obviously the car licences number is not so easily over exposed while HDR ON.
hdr-testing-jpg.33304

Back