Sedan rear dash cam install location please

Agie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
70mai S500, A229 Pro, VS1, Nexus 4 Pro, S1 Pro, A119 v3v2v1
Hi everyone, would love some suggestions please as to how to mount my Viofo A119V2 as a rear dash cam. I have a new vehicle that is a Kia Cerato (Forte) sedan where the back window has the demister electronics, so doesn't really leave that as an option to mount the dash cam on there.

Previously, I had a hatch so I fed the long miniUSB cable to the dashcam via a cable snake through the roofliner. Thinking this time of wiring the dashcam cable from the cigarette lighter, through the front pillar trim, through the centre trim, and rear trim then across to the centre of the rear roofliner. I'm not sure how 3M VHB adhesive holds up though on the fabric of the roofliner, or if it will just fall off eventually.

IMG_20200805_153630.jpg

IMG_20200805_153652.jpg

Stick it to the glass.

If you are worried about the heater lines, you can get a sharp knife and cut slots in the 3M pad for the heater lines to run through. You can probably remove half the pad and it will still stick OK as long as the gaps are spread across the pad. An alternative is to stick some "masking tape" over the lines to protect them before sticking the pad on top, however finding some tape that will look OK, even after it has faded will not be as easy as cutting slots in the pad. Another possibility is to cover the lines with vaseline, however you need to keep it really thin and not get any on the areas you want to stick. If you are good with a paint brush then that may be the easiest and neatest solution.

Having the camera on the glass means the lines will be well out of focus which is generally a better result. Also means there will be no vibration that you are likely to get from the roof liner.

Whichever way you go, make sure you degrease the glass properly with detergent before sticking the camera on, otherwise it may fall off again, degreased there will still be plenty of stick even with reduced contact area.

thanks guys, will do the cutting lines thru the adhesive tape. now just have to find a replacement 3M VHB adhesive pad for my Viofo A119V2 GPS mount, as can't just transplant another standard mount tape to it.

Back