Self adjusting camera, circa 2018...

HeyChris

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Viofo A129 Pro 4K
I think it may be time to retire my SGGCX2 (SG20180323.V4) from use...
After nearly a year since being transferred into my Outback Wagon from a Forester the camera angle has decided to be self adjusting when going over bumps. I lost out on a few juicy collisions and near misses of my own due to the camera angle taking sweet shots of the blue sky or puffy clouds while going down the road.

Has anyone else notice this development as the camera ages?

- Chris.

Requisite videos for XYZ reasons.

If you are talking about the spring that holds the up and down lens module click-stop adjustment in place failing, then yes, one of my SG9665GCs experienced this problem. I had a series of frustrating problems with Street Guardian cameras. At this point I consider them to be the most over-hyped, overpriced cameras touted on this forum.

In any event, I came up with a fix-it for the problem of a wobbly Street Guardian lens. Buy a packet of Blu Tack or Fun-Tak and use a small wad of the putty in a strategic place to hold the lens in the position you prefer. You can cover the blue putty with a small piece of black electrical tape if you want to keep the camera stealthy.

I hate those double left turn lanes. I always fear what happened to you, but so far people in my area seem to know how to use them.

Last edited:
This is my 3rd SG unit and have been content with their performance and the customer service received when needed over the years. (~2013...)

I am thinking this one is just starting to show it's age.

Thank you for the link on the tacky tape, but one of the current 4k units from another vendor will likely be a replacement for this one.

I have a 5k road trip coming up and hope to be able to film nothing exciting on the dash cam. But want more than blue skies when doing so.

C

I have a 5k road trip coming up and hope to be able to film nothing exciting on the dash cam. But want more than blue skies when doing so.

I've become a fan of 2K cameras as a kind of "sweet spot" dash cam resolution partly because it works so well but also because many law enforcement agencies, courts, insurance companies, law offices, etc. are not quite ready for 4K video just yet. Many entities still have older computer systems and I always advocate for making any dash cam evidence one needs to hand over to some agency as easy to view as possible.

Then again, if I were about to embark on a 5K road trip I would definitely consider one of the newer 4K cams. I like the VIOFO A129 Pro or Pro Duo. Of course, Street Guardian doesn't offer any 4K products as yet, which is typical for them. They generally wait for other companies to lead the way and then copy them with certain variations.

Last edited:
Back