Separate X,Y,Z sensitivity is essential - where to besides Lukas?

PhilMcKDash

Reaction score
Country
United States
I outfitted a logging crew's trucks a couple years ago with Lukas 7900 Ara's and it took some real tweaking to get the sensitivity so they weren't triggering 30-40 events per day (even on the most "insensitive" setting).

But with much study of the events, I was able to put together a really good set of X,Y,Z sensitivity settings with the Lukas software. But now, the 7900, the 7500, and even the 7200 are harder and harder to find.

Where do I go next? The Lukases have held up amazingly well in the tough environment, and in the Mississippi heat. The full-sized SD cards are an advantage too, I believe, and the software gives us the control we need. But where to next? Time to move on...?

I bought a Thinkware F50, an A119, an Opia2, and a Street Guardian SGGCX2 to try out.... no detailed settings (with the software I have any way).

I'm currently testing, will let you know; hope you're right. I like the SG the best so far, but in a Peterbilt, the windshield is angled a bit too much. I'm looking for a wedge shaped shim to mount under the base to overcome this and bring the center of hood back toward center screen. Same issue mounting the TW F50.

Last edited:
Or if you have suggestions for mounting that can overcome the angled glass, please let me know. From the top view the windshield is shaped like ^. Ok... slight exaggeration.

The old 119 with the left-right pivoting lens is good for that. SG no pivot left-right.

I'm currently testing, will let you know; hope you're right. I like the SG the best so far, but in a Peterbilt, the windshield is angled a bit too much. I'm looking for a wedge shaped shim to mount under has to overcome, and bring the center of hoof back toward center screen. Same issue mounting the TW F50.

there's a suction mount available, not really the preferred method for permanent installs though

we have another model coming later this year with similar spec as the X2 but has some different mount options that would work for that window, still a few months away on that one though

Last edited:
it was a bit tricky going back and forth in the lukas player to determine MAX event in any given axis and then tune to that number, but in the end i did get mine dialed in, only to abandon that a couple days later and just rely on Always recording.
It would be nice if a camera was able to save the MAX impact event in each axis for a drive session as a logging function, at least if you had the chance to enter custom values.
That way you could analyze some days of driving and then set a trigger value based on those saved values, or you could just see in the G sensor log file if there have been a big event, and you could then navigate to that part in the recording session of the video.

It would be nice if a camera was able to save the MAX impact event in each axis for a drive session as a logging function.

Or if the viewer was able to display max x,y,z of a clip (not relying on camera's logic). I've thought the same thing.

True enough that you can't see max values, but it's relatively easy to tell if it hit the "1" line or crossed it, or came really close to it. I got good pretty good at it. With a decent viewer. And the Lukas viewer is very decent.

Back