Setting Time Correctly for Playback and File Creation

Covo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Orange menu GS1000 (died), now Mini 0805 GPS
I cannot work out how to set the time so a) the correct time shows on playback and b) the file creation date also displays correctly.

I'm in Melbourne Australia which is on Daylight Savings so currently GMT+11. If I set the first figure in time setup to +11 and the time to the actual correct time my files all show the correct time/date when playing back, which is the critical thing. However, the files show a file creation date 11 hours after they were taken.

I'm sure when I've set the first figure in time setup to 0 I get another problem (can't remember exactly what now as I've tried so many things with no success).

It occurred to me that the fact that whenever I reset the time/date for Daylight Savings or just to try to get a) and b) both correct I'm typically doing it first thing before I start the car in our garage under our house where there is almost certainly no (strong?) GPS signal. It seems to me that once it does fix a GPS signal that and the +11 or whatever figure in the time setup screen are used to set file creation time or something????

Basically I guess what I'm asking is should I make sure I have a strong GPS signal before setting the time?

I'm usually OK at working this stuff out but maybe I've over thought it as now I'm confused as heck............

TIA,
Gary

you shouldn't set the time at all, only the timezone

if the file creation time is off that's a firmware problem, not something you're doing wrong yourself

OK thanks jokiin, I'll try that but if that's the case why do they expect/allow you to enter the time?

That are normally used on the cameras that don't come with a GPS antenna, this was quite normal back in the day, and you can also still find cameras where the GPS are a purchase on the side ( same with CPL filters )

Makes sense. Thanks guys. In my case the 0805 seems to be taking the time I entered and adding 11 hours to get the file creation time.

If I don't enter a time doesn't that mean the 0805 will take whatever time is currently set and add 11 hours to get the file creation time? I think I can see how the process is meant to work but in order to do so how do we get it to just ignore whatever time is currently set so it uses GPS coordinates to calculate recording time and file creation time? Hope my question makes sense.

if you don't enter a time the GPS will set the time anyway, GPS info is sent as GMT 0 and the offset to display the local time is set in the camera according to the timezone offset you have entered in the settings menu

Yep GPS time are always Greenwitch mean time, so us Danes to the right of England are +1 due to our geographical location on the globe, and for a few weeks still +2 as we are still on summer time until October 26 i think it is.
So just leave time/date alone and set your time zone, the camera should take care of the rest then.

It is 6:14 in the morning here ( Tuesday ) and again again i have given up on sleeping, and i have to go help my M8 install a air heater on his house later on.

Back