Setting to Max Bitrate

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just recently purchased an A129 Pro Duo. I have read through posts on this forum, but I still have a few questions.

1. Normal for the Screen to Turn off? I had a dashcam before and the monitor always stayed on. But, with the A129 I purchased, the screen till turn on when I turn on my car, but after a little bit, the screen turns off. Is this normal?

2. Max Bitrate. I know that people have recommended setting the bitrate to high, but is there anything wrong with setting it to max? I got the SanDisk High Endurance 256 gig so I figured with the extra space and speed, I might as well set it to the max bitrate for the best quality. Is the slight improvement in video quality not worth the additional space?

3. Uploading Firmware. I copied the firmware file to the SD card (parallel to the DCIM folder) per the instructions, but I noticed that the firmware didn't update automatically once the car was turned on. Does the firmware have to be updated using a USB cord that's connected to a computer?

Thanks for any help!

1. Yes, normal, and there is a setting for how long it stays on for.

2. It is fine to use Max, but it does mean the card contains less minutes of video. Within the city you are unlikely to notice a difference between High and Max, but it is there and is more significant at higher speeds and under trees.

3. No, if it is in the root folder (top level) and has the correct name, then it should update on receiving power from any source. What is your file named?

The screen turning off is normal, some cameras do offer a option for it to not do so, and i have used that + wifi on during testing to put a maximal thermal load on the system.
In daily use i would not use it of course, it only draw unnecessary attention, and that could turn ugly with a alteration with the wrong kind of person.

I always run a dashcam on the highest bitrate / image quality, TBH i am a bit surprised there is choice on this.

I have had problems trying to update cameras with larger memory cards, even if they have been in the camera and recorded on, so i alway use old smaller memory cards for this job, 8 - 16 and 32 GB cards have been / are used, for daily use i only do 128 and 256 GB cards.

Yes, the card must be formatted in FAT32 format for a firmware update to work.

1. Yes, normal, and there is a setting for how long it stays on for.

2. It is fine to use Max, but it does mean the card contains less minutes of video. Within the city you are unlikely to notice a difference between High and Max, but it is there and is more significant at higher speeds and under trees.

3. No, if it is in the root folder (top level) and has the correct name, then it should update on receiving power from any source. What is your file named?

Nigel,

Thanks for your help! The name of the file is "FWA129P". I downloaded it directly from the Viofo website. I had the dashcam format the card. I then removed the SD card and connected it to a PC. I then copied and pasted it to the root folder (parallel) to DCIM. Then, I inserted the SD card back to the dashcam. After a few minutes, I checked the firmware version in settings and it's still the original.

I noticed in Amazon reviews, many consumers got defective units (thus the mediocre rating), so I was worried this happened to me.

Maybe I just have to give it some more time?

The screen turning off is normal, some cameras do offer a option for it to not do so, and i have used that + wifi on during testing to put a maximal thermal load on the system.
In daily use i would not use it of course, it only draw unnecessary attention, and that could turn ugly with a alteration with the wrong kind of person.

I always run a dashcam on the highest bitrate / image quality, TBH i am a bit surprised there is choice on this.

I have had problems trying to update cameras with larger memory cards, even if they have been in the camera and recorded on, so i alway use old smaller memory cards for this job, 8 - 16 and 32 GB cards have been / are used, for daily use i only do 128 and 256 GB cards.

I noticed that several people recommended setting the bitrate to "high" so I was just wondering why "max" wasn't recommended. Thanks for the help!

After a few minutes, I checked the firmware version in settings and it's still the original.
What is the firmware version in the DVR now?
Try using a smaller card to update the firmware.
After flashing, do a factory reset and check the firmware version again.

What is the firmware version in the DVR now?
Try using a smaller card to update the firmware.
After flashing, do a factory reset and check the firmware version again.

It says the firmware version is one from Sept 2021. When I get back to my car, I'll try to reset it and see if that works. I'll let you know if it works.

I copied the firmware file to the SD card (parallel to the DCIM folder) per the instructions, but I noticed that the firmware didn't update automatically once the car was turned on. Does the firmware have to be updated using a USB cord that's connected to a computer?
A couple of simple things to consider.

Delete the DCIM folder so there is nothing on the card.
Copy the Firmware on the card.
Place the SD card in the unit.
If you still want to try doing it in the car.....
DON"T start the car but place it in AUX only.
Wait and watch the dashcam lights.
The unit will go through a cycle and when finished will restart like it normally does and will start recording.
Reformat the card using the dashcam.
Check the firmware version to see if it updated.
It is recommended you then go into the menu and reset to the default settings. I don't always do that but if I have problems then I will redo everything including the reset to default.

If I have problems I do try using a 32GB card instead of the 128GB cards I use.

Last edited:
Hello,

We would recommend using reliable power such as a power bank and home socket to power your A129 Pro.

I was finally able to get it to work! Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

To Viofo: You recommended using a home power source. Since you didn't include a transformer, would it be dangerous to use a random transformer since the power output might be too high? (I ended up using the transformer that I use for my cellphone.)

I was finally able to get it to work! Thank you everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

To Viofo: You recommended using a home power source. Since you didn't include a transformer, would it be dangerous to use a random transformer since the power output might be too high? (I ended up using the transformer that I use for my cellphone.)
USB power supply should all be 5V.

Modern QC chargers can give more volts, but they will not do that unless there is a QC element in the devise asking for a higher / faster charge rate.
I do use a QC 2.0 charger myself that came with my qualcom 845 equipped phone, and it have not yet friend any dashcam. but the charger can deliver 5 - 9 and 12 volts too, but if it is not asked it will just deliver the default 5 V USB voltage.

Modern QC chargers can give more volts, but they will not do that unless there is a QC element in the devise asking for a higher / faster charge rate.
I do use a QC 2.0 charger myself that came with my qualcom 845 equipped phone, and it have not yet friend any dashcam. but the charger can deliver 5 - 9 and 12 volts too, but if it is not asked it will just deliver the default 5 V USB voltage.

Thanks. That's reassuring.

Back