Setting Up Wifi.

tmyc

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just got my 550. Testing it out I find I have my first problem. My password for my wifi at home is 13 characters long. The Blackvue app wants only 8 characters. Does that mean I have to change my wifi password on everything in my house to 8 characters in order for my cell phone (GalaxyS3) to be used in the car with the 550? That seems a little extreme. My S3 hasn't had a problem with that for the last 2 years... now the 550 does! Any suggestions?

Just got my 550. Testing it out I find I have my first problem. My password for my wifi at home is 13 characters long. The Blackvue app wants only 8 characters. Does that mean I have to change my wifi password on everything in my house to 8 characters in order for my cell phone (GalaxyS3) to be used in the car with the 550? That seems a little extreme. My S3 hasn't had a problem with that for the last 2 years... now the 550 does! Any suggestions?

U can use the default which is blackvue to try it

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, and a Samsung tablet. I can connect to my home Wi-Fi with either, or I can connect to my BlackVue Wi-Fi with either. I just pick the network I want and supply the password. There is no need to make the two different Wi-Fi access points have the same password. Your Samsung devices are not restricted to connect to only one Wi-Fi access point (well, maybe only one at a time). You can go to Panera (for example) and connect to their Wi-Fi, and later in the day, you can go to Starbucks and connect to their Wi-Fi. The two Wi-Fi passwords are not the same.

Your home Wi-Fi does not connect to your BlackVue Wi-Fi.

Clear?

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 phone, and a Samsung tablet. I can connect to my home Wi-Fi with either, or I can connect to my BlackVue Wi-Fi with either. I just pick the network I want and supply the password. There is no need to make the two different Wi-Fi access points have the same password. Your Samsung devices are not restricted to connect to only one Wi-Fi access point (well, maybe only one at a time). You can go to Panera (for example) and connect to their Wi-Fi, and later in the day, you can go to Starbucks and connect to their Wi-Fi. The two Wi-Fi passwords are not the same.

Your home Wi-Fi does not connect to your BlackVue Wi-Fi.

Clear?

I'm not sure... So Once I leave the house here... the blackvue will connect to the S3 in the car? Thats the 8 digit password blackvue is asking me to set. I thought the S3 connected on bluetooth in the car? If I set the the 8 digit password... and I start driving... how do I view/or change settings with the S3? Basically you are saying that the Blackvue is the hotspot. By setting a password with Blackvue app, I am accessing the Blackvue Wifi signal with the S3 to view or configure.

How many times do we have to tell you.

It will connect to your phone with the default password which is "blackvue".

You can change it to anything you want if you choose to.

It does not use your home Wifi password It connects direct from camera to phone Goes nowhere near your home Wifi.

Otherwise how would it connect if you are out of range of your home Wifi

I'm not sure... So Once I leave the house here... the blackvue will connect to the S3 in the car? Thats the 8 digit password blackvue is asking me to set. I thought the S3 connected on bluetooth in the car? If I set the the 8 digit password... and I start driving... how do I view/or change settings with the S3? Basically you are saying that the Blackvue is the hotspot. By setting a password with Blackvue app, I am accessing the Blackvue Wifi signal with the S3 to view or configure.

Your S3 connects to the BlackVue using Wi-Fi, not bluetooth. Yes, the BlackVue is a Wi-Fi "hotspot." Your S3 will then talk to the BlackVue, but nothing else. The BlackVue "hotspot" does not connect to the Internet itself, but allows communication just to the dashcam and nothing more. Yes, whatever password you set (if you do not choose to use the default) allows connection between the BlackVue and your S3. Once you are connected, the BlackVue app you have on your S3 (available from GooglePlay) can then be used to view and change settings of the BlackVue, view recorded video, etc

Last edited:
Ok I understand now. Next thread... I'm sure there will be more.

Back