Settings not saving after power off

Mick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Nextbase 622GW
I found out yesterday that each time my unit is turned off, when it starts again it has not saved any settings. I have reinstalled firmware v2.05 but it is still doing it.

I have tried to look if there is a new firmware out, but I get an error when trying to go to Viofo firmware page.

Does anyone have the latest firmware they can send me.

Has anyone else had this problem.

I found out yesterday that each time my unit is turned off, when it starts again it has not saved any settings,... Has anyone else had this problem.
Yes, it's been reported before. Advise you to manually default your settings using the "Default Setting" menu selection after re-loading firmware, then reset your settings as desired. Check the version loaded using the "Firmware Version" menu selection. Latest version I'm aware of for A119 is V3.3 (A119_170810_V3.3). Here's an alternate source from @CaptureYourAction : https://www.captureyouraction.com/pages/viofo-firmware.

The @viofo (Viofo.com) support page seems not to be working right now. Maybe they are making a change.

Thanks for that.

Downloaded v3.3 and installed it, but each time it powers up it still goes to default settings :(
Think I might need to get a new one if I can't sort it out.

Firmware update or reset to default will not help you.
If you are losing only the date/time then the problem is the button battery from the PCB.
If you have also corrupted files when you are turning off the camera during recording the problem is that at least once super capacitor is broken, you need to replace it. The most easy way is to repair it locally, is not expensive and can be done at some smartphones repairing location.

enjoy,
Mtz

Is it all settings or just time and date?

If it’s time and date then the RTC battery could be bad. If it’s all settings, I would try installing the firmware again. I know you just did it, but sometimes doing multiple times works (I have seen it happen). Be sure to default your settings manually in the settings after updating.

If you are using the GPS mount, power the camera directly during the update (not through the mount). If your still having an issue, it might be worth trying another memory card. I have had a few users have trouble updating with Lexar cards.

Well I just been and got a new sd card just in case, but still having the same problem. Even if I swith the unit off with the button on it, and leave the power connected to it, once I switch it on it is back at the default settings. One thing I not mentioned is when I go to copy the .bin file I get this pop up (see pic). Not sure if this is causing the problem ?
Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Well I just been and got a new sd card just in case, but still having the same problem. Even if I swith the unit off with the button on it, and leave the power connected to it, once I switch it on it is back at the default settings. One thing I not mentioned is when I go to copy the .bin file I get this pop up (see pic). Not sure if this is causing the problem ?
View attachment 34141
Are you using a PC or MAC?

How are you copying the file to the card? With a card reader or through Mass Storage Mode? Best bet is always with a card reader.

Did you format the new card in the camera before using it to run the update?

In a Transcend card reader, and used a program called "guiformat2" to format it to fat32, not format it in the unit.

In a Transcend card reader, and used a program called "guiformat2" to format it to fat32, not format it in the unit.
Always format inside the camera last. The guiformat2 is a handy program, but I would still format it inside the camera after using any other format program.

ok, formatted it in the camera, put it in the reader, copied .bin file, reinserted in camera, lights flash, version shows on menu, reset to default, switched off, switched on and changed settings, switched off again, waited and switched on, shows back to default settings.
Am I fighting a losing battle here ?

ok, formatted it in the camera, put it in the reader, copied .bin file, reinserted in camera, lights flash, version shows on menu, reset to default, switched off, switched on and changed settings, switched off again, waited and switched on, shows back to default settings.
Am I fighting a losing battle here ?
Possibly. How are you powering the camera during the update?

Gone back to v2.0 still no luck

It's just under 2 years old. Someone mentioned a button battery inside, but I have opened it and there is none.

Looks like I'm off to buy a new one.

It's just under 2 years old. Someone mentioned a button battery inside, but I have opened it and there is none.

Looks like I'm off to buy a new one.
There is a small RTC battery, but it only holds the time and date. Your losing all your settings correct?

When you opened it up, did you happen to look at the capacitors? Were they bulging at the bottom at all?

When changing your settings, your pressing the ! button to confirm your choice before going back to the main menu or exiting correct?

Yes all settings, the two caps are blue and looked fine, no visible markings or out of shape.
I press REC button to stop recording, it makes a sound, then MENU, MIC to scroll down, red !, choose setting, red !, then MENU to exit the menu.

Back