Setup blackvue DW650G 2CH cloud connection in your car

Adeleke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

So far, whilst blackvue cloud has provided this wonderful service, there seems to be little info on how you actually achieve it from your car, bearing in mind most car electrics switch off when the engine isn't running. Those who have wifi (my car has built in wifi), will also find that it stops once the ignition is off.

So how did i achieve cloud and the ability to check live view (view dash cam live -what's happening around the car -front and back camera) and receive alerts anywhere around the world without hardwiring this option to my car battery - yet another potential drain on the battery, something to be mindful of- no one wants a flat battery! Note blackvue is hardwired using cut-off battery protector adapter to protect car battery.

Whilst it might not be elegant, i can say i get at least 3+ weeks of connection/power before i have to recharge the following items (the solution );

So my solution contains the following - which i leave in the boot of my car :

- Swees 25600mAh Ultra High Capacity (this battery pack), IMPORTANT, SENSES when the connected device is running low and tops up the charge. This means I don't need to keep pressing some button to deliver charge to it, in this case, the portable wifi hotspot -below(amazon) £17.99. Once you've gone through two full charges the battery pack becomes fully effective giving you 3/4 week plus before you need to remove and recharge in house along with the TP -Link below (which has its own internal battery -just spelling it out)

- TP-LINK M7350 4G LTE-Advanced Mobile Wi-Fi Router/Hotspot - Black (amazon) £76

- sim i used was GiffGaff (£7.50 data only)

Whilst the setup above isn't particularly cheap it works very well. It takes a night to charge the battery pack and even less for tp-link. Then you're operational in car for 3/4+ weeks.

Hope for those of you who are trying to use the cloud in car, this is my solution that works very well. I've since decided not to bother try and hardwire the above. Taking the devices out and recharging for a day isn't an issue for me and it protects the car battery.

Annoying stuff:

I'm using an android device (note 4), the above will periodically (too often for my liking) report, connected/disconnected/entering parking mode. Theres seems to be no way to stop the phone buzzing through the night even if i swtich of the sound and buzzer off my phone (blackvue need to fix this please - I'm a tech head and even via android applications setting Blackvue app to not notify it ignores this setting). To stop the nightly buzzing i need to switch off alerts via the blackvue app. This means you get no alerts at all.

For a peaceful nights rest, I've opted to switch if off 'Dash Alerts' through blackvue app at night and back on in morning. Sometime it settles to just the odd few alerts, but sometimes it sends loads throughout the night -every 10-15 mins. This may well be the tp-link, for me to test and rule this out i need to have the car close to the house and connected it to my home wifi (black hawk router)to see if the behaviour is the same to conclude it's Blackvue itself or tp-link. Once i get a car space directly outside my house i will test and report back.

Hope you find the above useful.. :)

1.30am need to sleep now..

Update as at 30.09.2016 6.41pm:

The issue i mentioned above whereby my tplink was disconnecting from Blackvue; I hadn't realised that it has a 'auto shutdown' mode which can be switched off via the admin page. Once this had been done the issue above resolved itself.

Last edited:
Thank you for a really helpful article for a newbie. Could I, at a simpler level, just use an old Nokia phone I've got that has 4G and Bluetooth and leave the BlackVue connected to that? I would plug it in to the power socket on my car and realise that it would only work when the car was powered up, but that would be good enough for me. I can use a SIM like the GifGaf one mentioned above (or BT do a £5.00 one if you're on BT anyway).
Thoughts and advice welcome.

H Theale,

If you're planning to connect to your car remotely, this will not work.

If you're looking for true unhindered connectivity, you will need a device that, like a portable wireless hotspot, or potentially (not tried this) a phone that has the ability to share it's wifi hotspot. It it the wifi that the blackvue will search and connect with that will provide connectivity to the device from anywhere in the world via the cloud option and not Bluetooth.

Hope this helps..

Back