SG Dual Camera set up?

xdmf

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've waded into the world of dash cameras on Amazon, and it's been an interesting time.

I was looking at the 2 channel BlackVue cameras, but the over heating issues are just too much to ignore. That's where Street Guardian's designs really caught my eye. I have a black car so it's naturally a sun magnet, but I also work for the government and drive all over the country so I need to keep a mind out for when I end up driving into the griddle of the American SW.

Does SG have a dual camera set up similar to the BlackVue 2CH-650?

My experience with SG9665GC in the desert SW in the summer has been outstanding, with no heat related problems at all.

So, from what I can gather (did find the video with the RC, finally after seeing it mentioned in amazon), there currently is no dual channel set up available from SG at this time?

So, from what I can gather (did find the video with the RC, finally after seeing it mentioned in amazon), there currently is no dual channel set up available from SG at this time?

we are working on two dual channel models at the moment, one where there is a front camera similar to SG9665GC and a smaller remote camera for the rear, and another where it is two remote cameras and a hideaway box, neither are ready yet though, still have a few months work to do before we go into beta with these

Last edited:
we are working on two dual channel models at the moment, one where there is a front camera similar to SG9996GC and a smaller remote camera for the rear, and another where it is two remote cameras and a hideaway box, neither are ready yet though, still have a few months work to do before we go into beta with these
I like the sound of both those prospective products. :)

I also see a potential drain on my financial resources. :(

well we might look at doing something special for anyone that owns an existing model to lessen the blow on the budget ;)

If you do something like that it will increase the chances of my buying a SG9665GC today ;)

we are working on two dual channel models at the moment, one where there is a front camera similar to SG9996GC and a smaller remote camera for the rear, and another where it is two remote cameras and a hideaway box, neither are ready yet though, still have a few months work to do before we go into beta with these

I haven't seen that model number (SG9996GC) before 0.o Was that supposed to be SG9665GC? I'm definitely interested in the first option for dual channel moreso than the second option.

If you do something like that it will increase the chances of my buying a SG9665GC today ;)

we always look after returning customers no matter what but when we release new models we generally do something above and beyond for people that want to upgrade, I refer to it as the leap of faith discount when we do that

Edited my previous post re: SG9996GC, curious as to that as well :)

Having no idea of what type of market research you've done (focus groups, etc.) I have a some thoughts on these from my perspective on potential usability.

Cable lengths would be a major concern for me.

For the SG9996GC (did you mean SG9665GC?) like version I would assume the cable to the rear camera would be for data and power and for, at least the N.A. market, would need to be in the 25ft (6 meter) length, or possibly longer, to get from the front to the rear of some of the larger SUVs/CUVs and van type vehicles. If not standard in that length at least not a proprietary connector so an extension could be used (and the appropriate electronics in place to support a longer cable run).

Another thought would be to make no design assumptions that one or the other cameras would be dedicated to front/rear placement. I can envision a number of scenarios where it would be preferable to have the smaller 'remote' camera in the front and the main unit as a rear camera. (Think in terms of an SUV with dark privacy glass where 'stealthiness' is not an issue.)

Likewise with the dual remote/central box camera having a minimum 15 or 20 foot cable for both cameras to allow the 'box' to be located centrally in the vehicle - in the center or rear seat console for example. The design should also allow one of the two cameras to be located at the opposite end of the vehicle from the 'box' as an example of a different extreme.

Just my thoughts...

we will have to have some sort of middle ground on what length cables we use but in saying that I think we'll need to make longer and shorter cables available to cater for the unusual installations

we will have to have some sort of middle ground on what length cables we use but in saying that I think we'll need to make longer and shorter cables available to cater for the unusual installations
As long as there is an option for those that need it all will be good.

As long as there is an option for those that need it all will be good.

definitely will make various cable lengths available, there will be some overlap between the models as to what accessories are used so we'll be able to accommodate a few different options without much trouble

Hello.
I have yet to see some explanation as to advantages of a dual setup vs two standard cams.
Not critical here, just plain curious.

Power or data, a cable is a cable, and with two units you get some redundancy on total HW failure.
Possibly, with two separate data cards there is also is some chance to save one of the two.
Where size matters, a "GC" cam is not so much bigger than the RC camera unit.

So what's on the flip side of the coin?
So many people/brands interested in dual setups means there IS something I'm forgetting...

convenience is a factor, the rear cam is generally smaller which can be an advantage also as some cameras are a bit obtrusive in the rear window

we are working on two dual channel models at the moment, one where there is a front camera similar to SG9665GC and a smaller remote camera for the rear, and another where it is two remote cameras and a hideaway box, neither are ready yet though, still have a few months work to do before we go into beta with these

Afternoon all :)

First post, having done a lot of research in lurk-mode to decide on a starter dashcam. It's ended up being a Blacksys CF100 2CH: the Sony Exmor sensor, capacitor power and the £60 price tag with Amazon UK fulfillment did it for me (I'm not alone, their remaining stocks are going like hot cakes in the last two days). My plan is to evaluate the usefulness of the rear cam in my folding hardtop convertible, where I can't hang it in the back window because that's not there half the time. Then I'm going to put the Blacksys in the other half's little hatchback and get the definitive solution for myself, of whatever format will work best.

I'm very much hoping that solution will end up being a Street Guardian product. I'd have gone for the SG9665GC right now if it either had the facility to add a rear channel, or I had already ruled out 2CH through evaluation. @jokiin, I think your brand ethos of quality components and direct engagement with the customer base, and the levels of support by you and your resellers through this forum, are just fantastic. So, I'm watching this thread with interest.

I already know my main issue is going to be with the position of the rear cam. About all I can do, without building a not-exactly-discreet vertically extending mount, is to is stick it on top of the rollover hoop cover. I know I'm going to get a lot of bootlid in the picture, which will hide the lower front of the car behind me as it closes up. That location is also going to be upside down from most applications.

So my suggestions for any future SG 2CH rear or remote cam, would be the ability to flip the image 180° vertically, as well as to get the best resolution possible at a distance where license plates can still be seen with a lower-down mount position. Alternatively, what possibility might there be for a waterproof remote that could be mounted in the license plate area on the back of the car? I'm thinking it might be useful for that to be adjustable for a balance of backwards vs. downwards view, so as to still be useful as a parking aid. It would need an extra-long cable and the ability to withstand headlights shining directly on it during operation, without damage. Some food for thought, I hope!

Regards,

Proghound

Last edited:
waterproof external cam is an option we're looking at still, we have it for one of our other cameras already but it's based on a different platform so not directly compatible

Back