SG Dual Camera set up?

Any other higher resolutions in the single channel model?

Would really like to see one with the OV4689 from you guys.

Will it have an adhoc network capability or BT and an iOS app to be able to view footage from a mobile device?

bluetooth is not an option, we have some wireless product coming later, app development is the holdup for that though rather than hardware as such

I was more hoping for another OV or maybe Aptina sensor that can do the 2K resolutions too but maybe with better low light than the OV4689

the larger pixels of a native 1080p sensor are better for what we need, aside from that and thinking beyond the enthusiast a lot of people that buy higher res cameras go on to find out that they don't have very capable computers and come up with a lot of playback issues, even a lot of the available playback software doesn't handle the larger files particularly well, especially on lower spec hardware, this can be more trouble when trying to pass the footage to someone else as well, insurers, police etc

People should spend their money on a proper computer instead of changing iphone more often than i change underwear. :D

bluetooth is not an option, we have some wireless product coming later, app development is the holdup for that though rather than hardware as such

It just seems like the 2 channel setup you guys are efforting isn't even on the same level as other brands currently available? I suppose you're taking the  business model.

It just seems like the 2 channel setup you guys are efforting isn't even on the same level as other brands currently available?.

depends what you do/don't like about current 2 channel models I guess, I think a lot of what's in the market have a lot of shortcomings

It just seems like the 2 channel setup you guys are efforting isn't even on the same level as other brands currently available? I suppose you're taking the  business model.
Bluetooth is not fast enough for transferring video so I'm not sure why you'd want it. WiFi is faster, more common, and more universal.

IMO the biggest minus with current dual systems is the modest bitrate, and i do think the coming SG offerings will 1 up that.
Okay some of the current systems also have a larger than i would like front unit, so extremely happy with SG offering up a dual remote solution later on.
And the model with the front unit and remote rear camera will have a small front unit.

Also happy with the single remote solution they already have, not sure if that will get a boost later on with newer hardware

I like where @jokiin head is at. Eschewing useless or even harmful consumer marketing-based products for something a discerning buyer understands.

Think about it this way. Remember when point-and-shoot cameras went digital? There was this race for to a megapixel and then more pixels. Dumb consumers were obsessed with getting the biggest number they could find and afford. What they ended up with was crappy photos with massive file sizes (for the time at least), because large format doesn't mean clear pictures with proper exposure and good colors and quality optics and so on.

It's the same thing with dash cams. People see low video quality and "jumping" and whatever and assume if they buy a cheap unit with 1440p that means the video will be crystal clear in all conditions or that if they have 60fps that the video will be "smoother" or allow them to capture that oncoming car's license plate in crystal clear freeze frame. And they're surprised when they're filling up their card so quickly with crappy video of oversized files.

I would much, much rather have a higher end camera with clearer optics, better sensors, better reliability, and a higher bitrate with better processing hardware, producing consistently better HD video at 30p.

Yes, I would definitely rather have a compact remote head unit I could tuck away under the dash and never look at again unless I needed to pull the card, because I did everything through my phone. No display necessary at all, only a couple of LED indicators for power and status and such. And not just wifi for aligning cameras and watching video, but Bluetooth Low Energy for sending alerts to my phone if there's a problem writing to the card or some other error or event worthy of local realtime notification and management tasks (such as adjusting settings or viewing status) that don't require the hassle of switching to wifi. For iOS the app could have a lock screen "widget" that would allow quickly tagging a moment of time to be kept safe from overwriting.

But you can keep your low bitrate video that you can brag to your friends has "2k" resolution. And to say their future stuff isn't even even on par with other people's current stuff is revealing consumer ignorance and obsession with the wrong numbers.

As someone who characterizes image sensors for a living, I must say that image sensors are still driven by portables market, meaning you have small format size, small pitch that dashcams have to use because it's a niche market.
I would have prefered a 1/2" or larger sensor with a larger than M12 lens for better clarity and more light capture. Sure OV makes 2.2um+ pixels (using older technology nodes), but where I see it, there's still a lack of low light collection.

The future looks brighter because:
1. the resolution chase has taken a back seat due to pitch size (1.1um commercial, 0.9um R&D)
2. technology nodes keeps going down (65um commercial, 45nm R&D, maybe even lower in R&D)
The lower the node size, the more room there is for pixel charge storage, by increasing capacitance of the pixel storage, you increase the low light sensitivity. Noise is always an issue of course, and with higher capacitance, the noise increases, kTC. There are implementations and uses of active noise reduction circuits, but they have their own trade offs like lower speed due to increased timing demands, and others.

I suppose because it's a niche market, the processors have the same fate, that's why you don't see 1080p60 quad channel processors out there for example, or even 1080p30 with sufficient bitrates. The EV market however will help the imaging industry realign some priorities, like global shutter, depth sensing, night vision/low light, etc.

Look at full frame FF dSLR cameras versus only APSC size crop sensor sized dSLR cameras.
Likewise, dashcams can achieve both superior resolution & detail, combined with superior low light sensitivity - simply by using larger sensor sizes, with concomitantly larger glass lenses; of course this will cost more.

Splash-Full-Cropped.jpg

Maybe thats where we end one day, it is proven that if you dont have to make your camera in the conventional camera shape it can be made pretty small and still house a larger sensor.

I wouldn't mind if it was on a quick release, cuz in my car i can fit my Nikon D5200 in front of the mirror and have room for some "larger" lenses too.

Yeah I've been wondering why everyone seems so hung up on resolution rather than simply putting larger sensors in at the existing resolutions. I realize the focal length would be affected, but... is there something I'm missing?

Back