SG9633DCPro+ not recording first minute after starting car

oatflake

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not sure when this started happening, but when I took my SD card out to review footage recently, I noticed that after the time-lapse parking mode video files are written, upon startup then first minute files are not present. The file numbering scheme seems to indicate that they were skipped over, almost as though someone had gone into my filesystem and actually deleted those two files. All the rest of the video files are present until the car is stopped, and enters parking mode. This has been consistent as far back as the card goes (128GB).

On two separate occasions, I have heard the dashcam make a quick "beep-beep" sound; my understanding is this is a warning that the camera is having trouble writing to the sd card. However, I have not heard that sound every time I drive, yet the missing file issue happens every time I have driven. I'm on the April 2020 firmware.

Any ideas?

Start by doing on overwrite format using SDformatter to fix any recoverable errors on the card, then try again and see if you get the same result, have no other reports of this issue

Let me know how you get on

I believe I've found the problem - it's that I didn't notice that for the first file, the timestamp is completely wrong because my camera is defaulting to Jan 1st 2020. After it acquires the GPS the next file has the correct timestamp, so all of the first moments are actually sorted way up top. So it's recording the files just fine, but the date/time on the file is always Jan 1st 2020 at midnight.

I guess the issue is that the camera is not saving the date/time when it's shut off. I don't recall this happening before; is there some internal battery or is the capacitor just not able to power the internal clock while it's off?

No, in both cases I was parked outside. Once on the street, the second time in a flat parking lot with no tall buildings around.

I'm not sure that makes sense as the GPS is active while in parking mode anyway, can you keep an eye on few things and let me know what you find

when you return to your car and it's in parking mode can you wake the screen and check the time and date before you start the car and go back to normal recording mode, keep a note of any anomalies before, during change over, and after

when you start the car and parking mode had already shutdown previously take note when the camera starts up if the time and date had reset or if it is correct

Thanks for the quick response - as a precaution, I decided to re-format the card and reset the camera's settings to the default so I can start over. In another thread I was messing around with a time setting (GPS vs manual) that the app provided that I do not see as something I can set when changing the options directly on the camera, so perhaps that was messing things up.

Hopefully things will work out when I do my next drive!

So after resetting everything and only setting the timezone, it appears the same thing is still happening. When my car starts up and the dashcam screen comes on, the time shows Jan 1 2020 00:00. I still have it set to 5 secs boot delay; I'm wondering if increasing that to 30 seconds may help.

So after resetting everything and only setting the timezone, it appears the same thing is still happening. When my car starts up and the dashcam screen comes on, the time shows Jan 1 2020 00:00. I still have it set to 5 secs boot delay; I'm wondering if increasing that to 30 seconds may help.
I'll have @Street Guardian USA follow up with you, there's a problem with the front camera, we'll get that replaced for you

Looking forward to hearing how this works out.

Summary - the replacement camera fixed the problem!

I got the replacement camera on Monday, which is an amazing shipping time of just 2 days over the weekend from Florida to California. I swapped the camera, and the only setup through the menu I did was:

- Format the memory card
- Reset the settings to default
- Set the timezone to GMT-7 (Pacific time during DST)
- Set the power source to 3-Wire (I have the hardwire kit for parking)

I then took it out for a quick drive. It took the GPS less than a minute to set the clock from within my garage, but after parking and restarting the car the clock display on the camera was correct immediately upon startup. Files on the card are now being recorded with the correct time on the first file!

Thanks to Street Guardian USA for the rapid response and to jokiin for the quick diagnosis! I have the original set to get mailed out with the replacement sticker!

Back