SG9663DC - 6 Meter Cable not long enough? Optional New 6.5 Meter cable coming soon (90 degree mini USB plug on BOTH ends)

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
SG9663DC - 6 Meter Cable not long enough? Optional New 6.5 Meter cable coming soon.

The SG9663DC box comes with a 6 Meter Cable has a 90-degree mini USB plug on one end, and a straight mini USB plug on the other end.

This optional new 6.5 Meter cable is a half Meter longer and has a 90-degree mini USB plug on BOTH ends. (might be harder to fish through grommets holes of some vehicles)

USA Pre-Orders open, search for: DC65MRC
(ETA 1 week)

Remember it's best to route the cable along the top from front to rear. (behind any airbags) and not down/along the bottom.

1530505591880.png

Remember it's best to route the cable along the top from front to rear. (behind any airbags) and not down/along the bottom.
Can you elaborate on why the top route is preferred? I expected the bottom route would be preferred because it avoids any issue with side curtain air bags.

Bottom route in a lot of cars is longer than the cable, some vehicles have heavier wiring harnesses that run through the floor area also, there's no right or wrong as it can vary according to the vehicle, through the roof is the more practical in more vehicles though

The perks ( one of a few ) of driving a mini car :)

Still i did take the "highway" out back with my DC rear camera, but only as i was making a install video and the high route will be what most people need to take.
Just too bad the video dident work, so no install video came out of it. :sleep:

I am pleased to report that I was able to use the new 6.5 meter cable to hook up the DC rear camera in my 2017 Subaru Outback using the low route under the door sill plates and then up through the A-pillar. (This route completely avoids any potential interference with the side curtain air bags in the headliner that are hard to access, and it's very easy to avoid the A-pillar airbag when you pull off the pillar cover trim.)

A couple of notes:
  • The 6.5 meter cable is just long enough. I had less than 6 inches to spare.
  • As the Street Guardian people noted in the first post, having right angle connectors on both ends made it harder to fish the cable. On this vehicle, to place the camera on the rear window, you have to run the cable through a rubber grommet tube that's several inches long and already occupied with a big bundle of wires. I was able to wriggle the right angle DC cable end through, but it took 10 or 15 minutes just to do that without tearing the rubber. (There are two of these grommet tubes that connect wires from the main part of the vehicle to the top of the rear hatch. You must use the grommet that's on the side of the vehicle you intend to run the cable up to the front, otherwise the cable won't be long enough.)
The same should be the case with all "Gen 5" Outbacks from 2015 to 2018.

I am pleased to report that I was able to use the new 6.5 meter cable to hook up the DC rear camera in my 2017 Subaru Outback using the low route under the door sill plates and then up through the A-pillar. (This route completely avoids any potential interference with the side curtain air bags in the headliner that are hard to access, and it's very easy to avoid the A-pillar airbag when you pull off the pillar cover trim.)

A couple of notes:
  • The 6.5 meter cable is just long enough. I had less than 6 inches to spare.
  • As the Street Guardian people noted in the first post, having right angle connectors on both ends made it harder to fish the cable. On this vehicle, to place the camera on the rear window, you have to run the cable through a rubber grommet tube that's several inches long and already occupied with a big bundle of wires. I was able to wriggle the right angle DC cable end through, but it took 10 or 15 minutes just to do that without tearing the rubber. (There are two of these grommet tubes that connect wires from the main part of the vehicle to the top of the rear hatch. You must use the grommet that's on the side of the vehicle you intend to run the cable up to the front, otherwise the cable won't be long enough.)
The same should be the case with all "Gen 5" Outbacks from 2015 to 2018.

I am just getting ready to most likely run a cable from front to back; taking the 'low road' lol. I'm now thinking the cable supplied won't be long enough from your comments, I have the low road figured out except the area around the rod for the power liftgate.

I am just getting ready to most likely run a cable from front to back; taking the 'low road' lol. I'm now thinking the cable supplied won't be long enough from your comments, I have the low road figured out except the area around the rod for the power liftgate.
Assuming you're talking about the Subaru Outback in your avatar, if both the front and rear cameras are near the centerline of the vehicle, the standard 6 meter cable won't be long enough unless you mount the rear camera on the interior headliner rather than on the rear hatch. In any case, I suggest running the rear cable up the passenger side, so you don't have to mess with the power liftgate motor.

Assuming you're talking about the Subaru Outback in your avatar, if both the front and rear cameras are near the centerline of the vehicle, the standard 6 meter cable won't be long enough unless you mount the rear camera on the interior headliner rather than on the rear hatch. In any case, I suggest running the rear cable up the passenger side, so you don't have to mess with the power liftgate motor.

I was thinking about that motor area and it being a PIA. Sounds like the only way I could get away with this longer cable in the kit is to run fishing tape through the headliner and around the sunroof and into the eyesight camera casing and down a bit to the front.

I was thinking about that motor area and it being a PIA. Sounds like the only way I could get away with this longer cable in the kit is to run fishing tape through the headliner and around the sunroof and into the eyesight camera casing and down a bit to the front.
Yes, the standard 6 meter cable is long enough for the high route through the headliner.

we generally use the 3.5m cable when going straight through the roof
The Outback is a fairly long car. IIRC, the 3.5m cable would only have been long enough if it ran up the center of the headliner (at least for the locations where I planned to put the cameras). But with a sunroof, you can't go straight up the middle. Also, if the rear camera is going anywhere on the hatch, you need a foot or two of cable to run through one of the hatch grommets then out one of the holes in the hatch under the upper trim piece.

I used the short cable, but i also drive a car so small its almost a micro car.
But in this setup i could even follow the edge route of the headliner and door rubber seals.

I just encountered an issue with my Audi Q5 and require the longer cable but it is not available on the Canada SG site.

jokiin, you and your team are outstanding when it comes to customer service.

its a pity that 95% of other businesses out there cant do what needs to be done.

so i got my rear cam wired in and wanted to use the right angle short cable but that would have required me to go above. I didnt want to fool with multiple air bags in the accord so i went along the bottom.

id love to get this cable but im not in the mood to undo it all lol

Are there any options for >6.5m to the rear camera? I have a Mercedes Sprinter van 144" wheelbase and likely need closer to 10m.
Thanks

Back