SG9663DC beta firmware

did you do the full overwrite erase of the card in your PC?
Yes, I used the official SD Formatter tool that you linked, and allowed the card to full format overnight.

It worked fine for a couple of days in parking mode after a full overwrite of the SD card, but it seems as if it's back to it again today. Will try again and see if there's a pattern.

So, thinking the fault was due to the microSD card being used, I tested it with a Sandisk High Endurance 64GB card. After around one week of light usage, it seemed to have encountered the error again (solid red light, recording stopped in parking mode, unable to go back into normal operation unless you manually restart).

So, thinking the fault was due to the microSD card being used, I tested it with a Sandisk High Endurance 64GB card. After around one week of light usage, it seemed to have encountered the error again (solid red light, recording stopped in parking mode, unable to go back into normal operation unless you manually restart).

ok thanks for the progress update

If a card is sub-par in terms of its write speed, will it always cause errors, or may it simply record sub-par video?

Richard

Okay, so I think I've been able to (more or less) predict when I will run into the issue. It seems the camera will always freeze with the solid red light in parking mode after an undetermined period of time if the SD card it is writing to is full. This does not happen during regular driving, or when using an SD card that is not filled.

Okay, so I think I've been able to (more or less) predict when I will run into the issue. It seems the camera will always freeze with the solid red light in parking mode after an undetermined period of time if the SD card it is writing to is full. This does not happen during regular driving, or when using an SD card that is not filled.

It sounds like the card may have a problem that causes it to not report its capacity and/or free space properly. That can happen for a number of reasons, most of which aren't fixable. But if you want, you can try running a CHKDSK /x on it in a Windows computer. SD cards don't automatically remap bad sectors, so if that's the problem, CHKDSK /x will force a dismount and then check the card and attempt to fix it. Whether it works is a crap shoot, but it costs nothing to try.

Personally, I'd try another card; and if the problem doesn't recur with the new card, I'd toss the problematic one.

Richard

It sounds like the card may have a problem that causes it to not report its capacity and/or free space properly. That can happen for a number of reasons, most of which aren't fixable. But if you want, you can try running a CHKDSK /x on it in a Windows computer. SD cards don't automatically remap bad sectors, so if that's the problem, CHKDSK /x will force a dismount and then check the card and attempt to fix it. Whether it works is a crap shoot, but it costs nothing to try.

Personally, I'd try another card; and if the problem doesn't recur with the new card, I'd toss the problematic one.

Richard

I tried chkdsk on both of the SD cards, and neither of them came up with errors.

Hey guys.. Haven't upgraded the camera firmware since I bought and thinking about time to get on the bandwagon.

1) Can we get beta firmware / normal firmware notifications? I though you had registered me for extended firmware @jokiin

2) Any firmware update guide? Just drop the .bin file into a new SD card or existing one with video recordings and put it in camera? and update via menu?

notification will go out for the next release to those that have registered their warranties, instructions are included with the release versions but basically as you say, copy the bin file to card, very straightforward

if you're on an earlier version still then updating would be a good idea

instructions are included with the release versions

Didn't see that in ReleaseNotes.txt of FWSG9663DC_181026_V1.35.zip but must be misreading it. Will try dumping the .bin on the existing SD card and try it out :) Thanks

that's not a release version, release versions are posted on our website

To update the firmware the process is as follows

• Extract the zipped firmware file downloaded from our website
• Delete any files from the memory card
• Copy the firmware SG9663DC.bin file to the empty memory card (linux users rename file to SG9663DC.BIN)
• Insert the card to camera
• Connect to power (do not disconnect power at any time during update process)
• Camera will power on, screen will remain blank while updating
• Once update has finished camera will startup as per normal
• Stop any active recording
• Enter settings menu and format the memory card
• Enter settings menu and reset default settings
• Any personalised settings will then need to be re-entered
• If using GPS ensure time is synced before use, (format the memory card again after the time has synced)
• Process is complete

@jokiin
Thanks for posting detailed instructions (y) The world is full of older people like myself who are not familiar with the deeper functions of computers and file workings, but we can follow step-by-step instructions :)

Phil

Light levels are significant lower now, but glansing up at the DC it is far better in regard to those icons on the screen.

Back