SG9663DC & DCPRO: Wi-Fi Feature Now Supported

For a long long time i just used mental notes as to where something happened on a drive, but this also meant that i had to retrieve the footage on the day, or my abused brain was lost.
But now having gotten used to use the event button on my SG camera, and use the photo it also snap to hone in on the actual event, it have become much more easy to find the golden moments for my youtube uploads.
Even if i also say something in regard to what i want to save, then really the event photo are the best means to narrow in on the actual event ( provided you have been fairly quick to press the button as it happen.
So now the main doubt is was the event on the front or rear camera, but 8 out of 10 times it is always the front camera that capture the action, my rear camera mostely capture phone junkies when i am stopped at red light.

And as the SG cameras save " so much " event footage the event photo are a very nice guideline.

For a long long time i just used mental notes as to where something happened on a drive, but this also meant that i had to retrieve the footage on the day, or my abused brain was lost.
But now having gotten used to use the event button on my SG camera, and use the photo it also snap to hone in on the actual event, it have become much more easy to find the golden moments for my youtube uploads.
Even if i also say something in regard to what i want to save, then really the event photo are the best means to narrow in on the actual event ( provided you have been fairly quick to press the button as it happen.
So now the main doubt is was the event on the front or rear camera, but 8 out of 10 times it is always the front camera that capture the action, my rear camera mostely capture phone junkies when i am stopped at red light.

And as the SG cameras save " so much " event footage the event photo are a very nice guideline.

So let me ask, if you have your videos looping in 3min intervals, if you press the manual record button to lock that video...what are the cut-off times? For instance, if the recording is 2min and 45sec into a 3min segment and you press the record button to lock the video, does it lock only the current 3min segment of video (which is almost over) or does it lock the current and the following 3min segment? @jokiin

As the SG cameras save so much in a event, you don't have to be lightning fast to press the event button, as you have to be in the old days with cameras just having a small buffer of a few seconds.
So for me it is no problem to lean forward a little and press the button on the camera on the windscreen ( SG 9663DC )
Granted the BT remote event button are also nice and all, but to me it is also just one more thing that can fail, so they are not a but must have for me.

Some times,,,,, okay often ;) i am many many seconds too late in pressing the event button, i still have not gotten totally used to use that.
but with the way SG handle events the action are still there in the event files, cuz i am not minutes slow.

The SG camera lock the current file ( 3 minutes ) and depending on how long you are into the current file either the next file or the previous if you have just started the current file as you press the button.
So a event are 2 x 3 minute front files and 2 x 3 minute rear files, covering the same 6 minutes ( i use 3 minute segment size )
So events can take up quite a bit memory space if you have many of those, but that's why the SG camera will also recycle the folders in the event folder when it is as full as it can get ( cant remember how many files it will hold on a 120 GB card, but it is quite a few )

I quite like this way of handling event files, even if it take up a lot of memory space, then it is not something i find worrying in my tests with the function, i will take this approach any day over cameras with a short buffer and a few seconds of footage after the event button are pressed.

So if you use 3 minute file size the code sort of look like this

IF current recording file is < 1.5 minute save current file + previous 3 minute file as event
IF current file are > 1.5 minute save current file + next 3 minute file as event
So this way you don't have to jump at the event button, you can in many cases pull over, light a cigarette and then push it, and still have your event in the event files.

So press button 1 minute into current file and you have 4 minutes from before event + 2 minutes after
Press button 2 minutes into current file and you have 2 minutes from before event + 4 minutes after the event
And do remember this are just the Locked away event files, with a decent memory card you can still drive a hour home and still have additional footage from before and after, it will just be in among the regular files, but still "safe" if you have a decent sized memory card.
So for insurance purpose or other reasons you will most times be able to generate a hour or 2 of footage around the time of the event, you just have to mix in some of the regular footage.

Thats why i always advocate for at least 128 GB memory card for a dual system, 256 if you can afford it and the system support that.

Last edited:
So if you use 3 minute file size the code sort of look like this

IF current recording file is < 1.5 minute save currnet file + previous 3 minute file as event
IF current file are > 1.5 minute save current file + next 3 minute file as event
So this way you don't have to jump at the event button, you can in many cases pull over, light a cigarette and then push it, and still have your event in the event files.

That's exactly what I was looking for. I like that timing setup. Thinkware does something where when you press the button it saves like 10sec prior to the button pressed and then 50 sec after pressed, so it limits it to 1 min. Viofo follows a similar timing pattern as SG, but it's based on a 15sec/45sec timing so if you press the button within 15sec of the previous clip it will save the previous as well or if you press it after the 45sec mark it will save the next clip. So it sounds like SG just cuts the clip in half and saves previous and next clip automatically. I would still LOVE to have the option of an easy access button to press though rather than reaching for the device itself. I really like the concept of the remote Bluetooth button Viofo offers.

The thinkware approach also sort of work, you just have to look as the locked event files as a beacon, with a large enough memory card you will still be able to find plenty of footage before and after the event it will just be in among the regular footage,,,,,,, provided you did not drive and record for many hours after the event.
And if it is really bad but you are still driving i would recommend to remove the memory card or replace it with a spare for your driving after the event itself.

I think SG might also go that way with the new models, if not with "all" models, then at least with the remote camera system, where you cant really reach for a button on the main unit if you have that hidden deep under the dashboard.

I think SG might also go that way with the new models, if not with "all" models, then at least with the remote camera system, where you cant really reach for a button on the main unit if you have that hidden deep under the dashboard.
the DR does have a remote for file saves

the DR does have a remote for file saves

Is there a release date for the DR yet? Are there any other DR systems on the market? I think I understand the general concept of it, but it seems like a lot more intense of an install.

Is there a release date for the DR yet? Are there any other DR systems on the market? I think I understand the general concept of it, but it seems like a lot more intense of an install.
not yet, we had first production scheduled this month, I won't know until next week if that might be delayed, I'm not sure at this stage just how many factory staff are stuck where they are and can't travel back to Shenzhen to return to work after the holidays, the staff come from all over the country and many areas have travel restriction due to the coronavirus outbreak

well the bush fires have screwed australian tourism with media making a mountain our of a mole hill, now this corona virus is giving it the knock out blow. cancellations galore in hotels around the country.

well someone here won 5 mill last night, if it is me i am coming to AU come hell or high water.

to top it all off i just heard on the news the government are now banning anyone from main land china from entering australia. bye bye tourism, hello unemployment line.

Yeah damn bad timing, but O well.

Back