SG9663DC GPS Update and Question

CRS 123

Reaction score
Country
United States
First of all, huge thanks to Guardian customer support for mailing me a replacement GPS receiver. I"m getting marginal gps reception where before I was getting zero, so there is improvement, but still large gaps of no lock. I've determined that due to the relatively small area by my rearview mirror that is especially designed for RF reception, for toll transponders mostly (NOTE:Jaguar f types after 2017 have solar front windshields that block RF signals )Also, the rearview mirror itself has camera electronics that may be interfering with GPS reception. I believe that I need to extend the gps antennae to the rear window hatch area. QUESTION: Will a standard 3.5mm female to male cable work with this antennae? Could you recommend one? Also, is there perhaps another type of dashcam GPS receiver (3.5mm connection) that has a more robust signal receiving capability? Higher receive strength? Anyway, front and rear camera still going strong after 3+ years of daily driving! thanks for any help :)
CRS

Will a standard 3.5mm female to male cable work with this antennae?
I've used a 90 degree adapter on an SG GPS unit so it's reasonable to think an extension cable would function properly. There may be some concern about signal loss using a longer cable but I'm certain that @jokiin will have much better information on that versus any speculation on my part.

Well you can probably get high gain antennas for GPS too, but then we talk actual antennas for the outside of the car and not little boxes

If you have a clear area where you mount the actual camera, maybe one with the GPS antenna in the mount are better, these are designed for being right up against the camera, where SG ones are advised to distance as much as you can from the camera.

Back