SG9663DC hard wired - appears to have drained battery

Zpedalkin

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi
Just picked up the car from my auto electrician this morning - he hard wired the SG9663DC for me with the SG hard wire kit. He informed me that my battery was dying, because it was of poor quality. However, I'm home now and looking through the footage on the camera, it appears it was recording all night in his workshop - is that expected in parking mode?

I had a look in settings and the motion detection was off - I set it to ON now. Switch off delay is set to 10 min. I'm getting a new battery now, but are there any other settings I need to check?

Edit: He may have been right and the battery was on its way out, but just want to be sure it wasn't a setting on the camera that sent it over the edge.

Also the hardwire kit comes with a little switch that has 4 positions, however I couldn't see a description of the setting that each of those positions corresponded to. Assuming they're voltage cut-off points, but what are they - can anyone pls confirm? When I picked the car up, the electrician said he left the switch in the 'default' position it comes from factory.

Thanks

Last edited:
You need to be on firmware 1.33 or newer to fix a parking mode bug that caused something related to that. What version are you on? Pick “3-wire” mode once you’re on the newest update. (New option was added in the menu)

You might want to turn motion detection off. With it on you'll likely experience some erratic recording while driving.

Thanks for the replies
  • downloaded and installed latest firmware
  • set the power supply input to 3 wire
  • set the hard wiring dongle thing to 12.4v (I believe - all the way to the right)
  • looks like there is no longer a motion detection option in the latest firmware? couldn't find it
will report back on results

• looks like there is no longer a motion detection option in the latest firmware? couldn't find it
Hmm, didn't even notice that when I configured the settings after installing 1.33. Guess I'm used to zipping through all the options and dealing with them individually versus having a check list of specific ones to change.

Hmm, didn't even notice that when I configured the settings after installing 1.33. Guess I'm used to zipping through all the options and dealing with them individually versus having a check list of specific ones to change.

it hasn't been there for quite some time

it hasn't been there for quite some time
Yep, just confirms what I said - go through them individually without a checklist. :unsure: Lack of the checklist also explains why I occasionally reverse the GMT offset and have a timestamp 8 or 10 hours off. :banghead:

Will motion recording ever be placed back in ? would be good to have a separate file for motion parking or impact parking etc...

Why was motion detect removed? I used it in another dashcam to capture attempted murder of a police officer!

But why?

Time Lapse would not have gotten mean the suspect running in front of my car and then shooting into a cop car. Time lapse == no audio, and action is too fast for timelapse.

There is a bug in the current Novatek SDK that makes several other things unstable if motion detection is left enabled.

Hello all, been away and limping along with my Panorama X2. I've been in discussion with Jon at SG here about upgrading. Curious as to if there has been any change/resolution to this "bug" and motion detect. Let me know if it's not appropriate to resurrect a thread like this, I can start a new thread.

Hello all, been away and limping along with my Panorama X2. I've been in discussion with Jon at SG here about upgrading. Curious as to if there has been any change/resolution to this "bug" and motion detect. Let me know if it's not appropriate to resurrect a thread like this, I can start a new thread.
we removed motion detect quite a long time ago, it's not a reliable method, we offer timelapse at 1fps, 2fps and 5fps, or low bitrate constant recording at 5mbit/sec

Continuous recording during parking mode has worked out great, nothing is ever missed. Just get a large enough memory card. I use 512GB in my own personal vehicle. (Probably over kill but I’m testing a lot) I use the new 30fps (low bit rate) parking monitor option so audio is recorded as well.

Back