SG9663DC hard wired but no acc fuse

Riroku

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently bought a street guardian for my parents 2010 Silverado. I hooked everything up but it seems that every fuse inside on the 2010 Silverado is always on. I tested every fuse with the car completely off and every single fuse gets constant power. I googled and it seems to be a common problem.

How would I go about hardwiring my dashcam if all the fuses are constantly on? I don’t care for parking mode. I just want the camera to turn on and off automatically but it seems to stay on even after shutting off my car. It also doesn’t go into parking mode due to not having a fuse that shuts off with the car so there is no shut off timer. It will just constantly record as if the car is still on.
Would the hardwire kit eventually turn off the dash cam from the cut off and would that be ok for the battery?

it may eventually turn off and save your battery, running in normal mode while parked doesn't do the camera any favours though, not familiar with your car but there must be things that turn off when the car goes off, the radio, AC etc don't run all the time, you may need to get a pro to tap into the appropriate circuit though, might not be something you can easily DIY

Yeah you may not be able to use any of the usual suspects as a fuse slot and instead use a Posi-Tap if and when you find a good accessory switched power source wire.

it may eventually turn off and save your battery, running in normal mode while parked doesn't do the camera any favours though, not familiar with your car but there must be things that turn off when the car goes off, the radio, AC etc don't run all the time, you may need to get a pro to tap into the appropriate circuit though, might not be something you can easily DIY

Yeah I have no clue. I was checking the Silverado forums and etc and everyone says the 2010 Silverado, all the radio and etc is controlled by the BCM so it’s always constant on but told to be turned off by the BCM. The only way is splicing wires but I don’t want to do any splicing to the stock wires.

I was told the only way to get a switched fuse is drilling a hole in the firewall and running to the fuse box in the engine bay. I might such ditch having a dash cam in this truck

I was told the only way to get a switched fuse is drilling a hole in the firewall and running to the fuse box in the engine bay.
If it comes to that, even then no drilling should be required. You have plenty of existing wiring and such going between the engine bay and cab. Most of the time there are additional empty/blank spots you can use, sometimes flat rubber, sometimes a “nipple” that you can snip the end off of and run a wire through. For these trucks is extremely common (relatively speaking) for upfitters and fleets and such to have accessories such as radio systems, flashing light controllers, all kinds of stuff that need to go between the engine bay and the cab, so there are usually good options from the factory for that.

It should be as simple as finding an empty but live accessory switched fuse slot in the fuse box under the hood, or else one you can piggy back with an add-a-circuit like comes with the hardwire. You might need a different size depending on the fuses available, which you pick up for cheap at any auto parts store or order from SG or off Amazon.

All you do is snip the end off the rubber nipple on the rubber grommet/plug on the firewall or cut a small slit in the rubber next to other wires or in an empty slot, and just run the single power/hot wire from the add-a-circuit pigtail into the cab and butt connect it to the hardwire hot source pigtail. Easy peasy. I prefer to use something like the Posi-Lock rather than crimped butt connectors. In fact I usually snip any included crimped butt connector off any add-a-circuit that comes with stuff like dashcam hardwires, strip just a little bit of the wire jacket, and use a Posi-Lock instead.

Back