SG9663DC in an accident records a corrupted file

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, finally when I needed the dashcam...

I got into an accident few days ago and heard the shock sensor go on as i came to a complete stop. I waited a bit as I got to my senses and I hit the save button again, just to be sure.

As I got home, I turned off the dashcam, took the microSD card and put it in my laptop. The only corrupted file in the whole microSD card is the accident one. It saved 3mn after the accident (I assume this is when I hit the button), and everything before, but the moment of the accident has a truncated video (smaller size) that I just couldn't open on linux, windows and android. I downloaded multiple software and nothing.

The only way I could play the video is if I put the microSD card back into the dashcam and read the files from there.

Otherwise, I'd say, I had no issues with the dashcam (insert sarcastic chuckle here).

PS: the car was never turned off as all this happened, and nothing got disconnected as the dashcam continued to operate.

if you get a corrupted file play it back in the camera, the camera has a file repair function built in

this can happen if the card has errors on it (the occasional random beep can be indicative of this issue), even if the card goes read only mode which would prevent the repair function from working you can copy the non playable file onto another memory card (make sure it is formatted in the camera first) and go to the playback menu to repair the file, after you do this the file will be readable in a computer, too late now but for future reference best to do this first rather than trying to use a third party repair tool as that can make things worse

-I didn't use a 3rd party repair tool, I only tried to play a copy of the file on different platforms.
-I did mention that the only place I could read the file is on the dashcam itself (screen too small to make sense of the lights, which is the info i needed).
-I never heard random beeps.

now question: how does the repair function works? Is it automatic at playback?

PS. your answer "this can happen", seems like "...eh $hit happens". As a reminder, this is the main function of the dashcam. Every other single file that I checked in the microSD card works...other than the accident one. I bought this dashcam so the accident file works.

now question: how does the repair function works? Is it automatic at playback?
it's an automatic function built into the playback function

PS. your answer "this can happen", seems like "...eh $hit happens". As a reminder, this is the main function of the dashcam. Every other single file that I checked in the microSD card works...other than the accident one. I bought this dashcam so the accident file works.
no, just giving some context of one of the reasons why this can happen, we do get support tickets sometimes where after digging a little people mention a random beep that has been happening for some time that they never thought anything of, the memory card is the weakest link for any dashcam and should be checked regularly, if a problem is going to happen then when files are getting moved while it's writing is a likely time for this to happen

what make and model is the card, how old is it, and how often do you format the card?

I appreciate the responses.

The only sound I hear is at turn-on and turn-off. I do take the card every 3 months or so to check the videos. I reformat it on reinsertion into the dashcam. My card is a Samsung (MB-ME256GA/AM) 256GB 100MB/s (U3) MicroSDXC EVO. It is about 15 months old

I do understand that SSD cards are prone to errors, and that is not streetguardian's fault, but I find it interesting though that the card recorded videos without issues before the incident, after the incident, but not right when the incident happened. The 3mn file AFTER the incident got moved to the incident folder though. That file is readable.

it would be worthwhile doing a full overwrite format using SDformatter to reset the card, if there are errors on the card this will generally sort things out

it would be worthwhile doing a full overwrite format using SDformatter to reset the card, if there are errors on the card this will generally sort things out
I guess will see if anyone here will verify Cunningham's law!

the dashcam is in the car being fixed, so I don't remember, but it's the one that was posted right after the app got out.

the dashcam is in the car being fixed, so I don't remember, but it's the one that was posted right after the app got out.
ok, may not be the most recent, when you get it back it's best to make sure you're on the most recent version, that's V1.49 for DC or V1.17 for DCPRO/DCPRO+

Back