SG9663DC Vertical Rear Camera Mounting

jpvonhemel

Reaction score
Country
United States
New here researching 2ch cams for my 2011 Nissan Frontier. The rear glass is vertical so I am trying to understand how the rear camera would mount to the glass. Pictures of my rear window attached.

Thanks,
Jerold

Attachments

• 7D36CF85-3CDC-4AA8-B8A8-FE88E1764E16.jpeg
    7D36CF85-3CDC-4AA8-B8A8-FE88E1764E16.jpeg
    271.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 8D967E61-3E1C-4C29-BD7B-2F00AFF6A06B.jpeg
    8D967E61-3E1C-4C29-BD7B-2F00AFF6A06B.jpeg
    253.9 KB · Views: 41
I have a little Suzuki car also with vertical glass in the rear, but mine are a 5 door hatchback so i have a nice metal frame to mount the camera off using magnets.
So i would do the same as i do for my Left camera, and that is fold over some sheet metal so it can slide over the headliner felt and partially in under the window rubber seal.

This should give you a sturdy platform to mount off either using dual sided tape, or magnets as i do. The tape will probably be the best / cheapest solution as its provided with the camera.

Make it so camera lens almost touch glass over the top heater element, this way you dont have any of those in the footage.

You can also mount any camera off the glass conventionally, but this will give you a larger footprint, whish are not so bad as you have a pickup, but in my little car i do think its a problem as the camera are right there in the face of people.
Stealth are always a good thing with dashcams, weak people can get provoked by their pretense and so it can be a reason to a situation escalate.

Thanks. Now that I know it will work for me, I just need to figure out if I should wait for the direct wiring to be released.

The workload will be the same.

you can get the camera now and run it off cigarette lighter for a month or two, tucking the wire away are not really a problem, and if you are pragmatic you can just to a rush job to get going.

Once the hardwired kit materialize, then the work start with you tapping into the fuse box, and connecting the existing to the hard wire kit ( unsure if it plug in or you have to cut off the cigarette plug and then wire it up that way )

The installing of both cameras and pulling wire out back will be the same either way, only thing you have to get a hand on 2 times if you go now are the power wire at the very end where it plug into your car.
So not much to do times 2 if you go now and upgrade to the hardwire kit later on, and i am pretty sure there will be deals on the hard wire kit for early adopters of the DC, so no major savings expected if you wait it out.

Once the hard wire kit is released that gets me always on power and lets the cam know whether I am off or on with an acc lead? I take it this is all directed to auto recording if hit while parked? Wondering about running down my battery prematurely.

Using parking guard do of course put additional strain on a battery that would otherwise just sit there and wait for the next drive, but dashcams dont use that much power, and there will be a discharge prevention protection in the hard wire kit so the camera can not discharge your battery so deep it cant start or will be damaged ( car batteries are not meant to be discharged too deep )

But with a sensible low cut voltage selected, then its not like dashcam parking guard use will cut your car battery life in half, but it will have a shorter life due to it also do more than a car battery normally do.

There should be no user interaction needed once hardwire kit have been installed and the function turned on in the camera.
Personally i would just use parking guard out and about, at home i have CCTV on my car where it is parked, so going about it this way do mean i will have to do some user interaction.

If you live in a house and park in your garage or driveway there are little chance of a event there aside for the most dedicated vandal, but out shopping and maybe where you park when working it might be a good idea to have parking guard on.

And also one have to be aware that if you park a lot and drive a little, then you can get to a place where your car can not charge as much juice on the battery than get depleted when parking a long time.
But most cars have a fairly high charge rate so you have to park a lot and drive a little for this to be a issue i recon, if you drive a couple of hours every day to and from work and whatever you should be good.

I assume the hardwire kit will be a 3 wire one, one + wire connected to a always on circuit ( parking ) - another + wire connected to a ACC circuit only on when driving ( driving ) and then a common - wire to be shared.

Once the hard wire kit is released that gets me always on power and lets the cam know whether I am off or on with an acc lead? I take it this is all directed to auto recording if hit while parked? Wondering about running down my battery prematurely.

Here is the latest on the pending SGDCHW hard wire kit with battery discharge prevention coming soon:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/street-guardian-sg9663dc-dc-dual-channel.28206/post-393073

Just ordered from Street Guardian via Amazon.
Thanks, let me know if you have any questions. My business card will be inside the box. Enjoy!

Back