SG9663DC vs Mini 0906 vs Aukey DR02

mirko

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Hi everyone,
I'm in the middle of a difficult decision:
What would you buy among the 3 of the title, considering that I need something capturing not blurried and clear frames?

Here follow the info I collected:

SG9663dc
Front: Sony Exmor IMX291 AVG bitrate 18
Rear: Sony Exmor IMX323 AVG bitrate 18

Mini 0906
Front Sony Exmor IMX291 AVG bitrate 20
Rear Sony Exmor IMX322 AVG bitrate 16

Aukey DR02
Front Sony Exmor IMX323 AVG bitrate?
Rear Sony Exmor IMX323 AVG bitrate?

I found some uncompressed videos of the Mini and Aukey, but for both ot them, in spite of the good specs, I think the videos are too blurried and I can't read the licence plates, in particular from the Aukeys's ones.
Unfortunately I can't compare those videos with some uncompressed ones from the SG9663dc.
That's why I can't decide...
Is the SG any better than the Mini or the Aukey? Is the 3 times higher price really motivated?

Thanks a lot
Bye

Hi Mirko, I may be wrong and would be happy to be stand corrected, this is what i found :
SG Front around 20 bitrate, Rear around 15 bitrate
Mini has 3 settings to change bit rate, middle setting (Fine), Front around 14 bitrate, Rear around 12 bitrate.
Aukey Front around 10 bitrate, Rear around 10 bitrate.
Picture wise the SG and Aukey are very similar, even though the SG has a higher bitrate it doesn't seem to capture any more detail, obviously the higher the bitrate the more space it needs on the Micro SD card.

Rear Cameras :
The rear cameras of the SG and Aukey have an identical design, could they be the same ? But I found the picture quality of the Rear to be better with the Aukey.
Mini has the best rear camera design (very discreet) but it's picture quality isn't as good as the other two.

Front Camera :
As mentioned before the SG and Aukey have very similar picture quality even though the SG has double the bitrate.
The SG and Aukey mount closer to the windscreen and are less affected if your windscreen is not perfectly clean.
All three capture the same amount of detail but the picture of the SG and Aukey look crisper than the Mini.

Functionality :
SG and Mini startup very quickly and start recording, the Aukey is slower to startup
Mini has the best automatic park mode but the special hardwire kit has it's issues and sometimes leaves you frustrated and wish it didn't have a park mode.
SG I believe will have a automatic park mode coming soon.
Aukey does not have a automatic mark mode.
When I say automatic I mean it switches to park mode by itself.

I'm now waiting for the Viofo dual camera and hope it is the best all-rounder whilst staying at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps.

Of those 3 i would go for the SG product for the simple reason that at worst you will never see anything but minimal problems with it.

The hardware in the DC and 0906 are pretty much the same i think, at least the major components, tings like lens ASO might differ a little.
I had the 0906 for testing back before day #1, and i was immensely sad i was able to make it give up on me, it was a nice camera i would still be running today had it not given up on me.

So i had no rear camera for a while now, been a daily battle between my laziness installing the M2 back there and the paranoia of not having a camera back there :giggle:

I just gave a look at uncompressed SG videos and I cazn clearly telle the quality difference among the 3 now.
SG is very good
Mini is good
Aukey is the worst

Now I just have to decide betwen the first two... since sg is priced almost 3 times the mini...
Thanks to you all!

Yes very important too look at RAW footage judging video, youtube just murder good footage.
Still there can be factors as dirty lens or windscreen too, but dirty lens are a minimal i think windscreen another matter, we all learned this getting our first dashcam.
Before dashcams i dident really bother with cleaning windows, and i was a smoker back then, but that sure changed with the dashcam, you just have to be aware of this or your footage will suffer.

For now I excluded the Aukey...
Still have to decide among Mini and SG...

The two cameras have different shapes, just go in the car and imagine which camera will fit better near your rear view mirror.

enjoy,
Mtz

both fits badly in my peugeot 206 :LOL:

Look like the 206 have some sensor array on the windscreen and RVM come off the glass too ( year depending i figure ) so some degree of creativity seem to be needed.
I would just put the camera offset to the side from what ever, and probably to the driver side.
This will of course make the captured footage a little offset, but the wide angle lens should ensure you get the coverage you need out front.

you can always power up the dashcam handheld, and then move it around on the windscreen while recording to see what kind of footage you get in different mounting locations.

I would just put the camera offset to the side from what ever, and probably to the driver side.
This will of course make the captured footage a little offset, but the wide angle lens should ensure you get the coverage you need out front.

I would agree, if you have to be one side or the other then drivers side offset works best, we're already driving with a bias towards the passenger side of the road so having a bit of camera bias toward the drivers side can help bring things back into perspective

Good suggestions.
For testing purpose I guess that I'll attach at the left side of the rear view mirror (since I drive left hand), so that I'll be able to see the lcd and see also if it could be suitable as rear view camera for parking as well.
After that I'll be able to decide if keeping the cam there, or if to figure out some more creative solution.
I'll keep the community up to date. :D

We have seen a few creative people mounting wedge cameras off the sensor housing on the windscreen, but that housing often have fairly rounded surfaces so you will have to make something that can go between the flat mounting surface of the camera and the not flat surface of the sensor housing.

And good thing are systems with really small remote cameras are on the way too, so in the future this will be less and less of a problem for future buyers.

I am not sure if SG are working on a single remote camera unit to replace the SGZC12 RC model that as i understand it was pretty popular too not least for its little camera unit.

For testing purpose I guess that I'll attach at the left side of the rear view mirror (since I drive left hand), so that I'll be able to see the lcd and see also if it could be suitable as rear view camera for parking as well.

it won't be suitable for rear view parking use

I am not sure if SG are working on a single remote camera unit to replace the SGZC12 RC model that as i understand it was pretty popular too not least for its little camera unit.

we are working on something but it's dual channel rather than single

Yes i was not sure if there was a single channel "RC" coming too, but i totally get it, at least in my book dualchannel are the new hot thing.

Regarding reversing on rear dual channel dashcam, then no, not even with a bigger screen, the only thing a rear dashcam and a parking camera have in common are the general direction they point.

Regarding reversing on rear dual channel dashcam, then no, not even with a bigger screen, the only thing a rear dashcam and a parking camera have in common are the general direction they point.

screen size means it's not practical at all, more importantly if the image isn't reversed then it's quite difficult to use when we're used to see what's on one side shown on the same side, when that gets reversed it confuses things

Back