SG9663DCPRO 2020 Dual Channel VS VIOFO A129 Pro Duo 4K

Which would you buy ?

• Total voters
I currently have a 2-channel cam recording normally in my workvan 24/7 for security purposes as well as driving protection. It has a hefty battery (80A) and it gets driven daily for at least 15-20 minutes time which puts the battery near full after the drive. As best I can figure, it costs me about $0.25 per day in lost battery service life, and I'm happy to pay that for the peace of mind I get. Low-bitrate recording uses less power so would cost you less, plus you get less card wear and it's easier on the cam too ;) My workvan is an old extended body full size Ford so to get complete side coverage looking outward will take 2 cams per side- i have half that right now. My K2S will be moving to the rear sides on fixed windows, and something better done on the front sides which mount to the body, not glass. Liking redundancy I have and will keep 2 cams front and rear, but different choices than I have in use right now.

Which brings us to another issue: Dual cams have to use a lower bitrate for the front cam since you have to share the SD card's limited data-writing capabilities with the rear cam. Today's cards can do ~30MB/s writing total, and a single cam can be set up to use all of that in giving the best recordings :cool: See the "Modified Firmware" threads on what can be done, and look at the vids from the "Pro" type single cams which approach this level. The standard firmwares and "non-Pro" versions of these cams use a lower bitrate, and that is about the same vid quality you'll get with a dual "Pro" type cam :cautious: So if you want the very best, you need a single-channel cam (y) These dual-channel cams are darn good though, and are enough for most folks. But until hardware advances they will always be less than is possible.

And yes, all the 4K cams have issues with high heat. Some shut down when they go overtemp to save the cam but to me that's not what i want happening; a non-operating 4K cam is a p-poor substitute for a cheap 480P cam that's still working which doesn't say a lot for today's 4K cams IMHO. We're pushing the current dashcam design parameters to their limits now, something better is needed but I've yet to hear of anyone making efforts in that direction :( We need doubled write speed capability, more and cheaper memory, larger and better sensors and lenses, and cooler running processors to make much more progress. Not much more can be done with what we've got now.

Phil

I am contemplating getting two A119 V3.

What do you think about that ??

not bad.

I would personally not like a that "big" camera on my rear window, but it is founded in my like for stealth ( though a plethora of cameras on my windscreen aint exactly stealthy )
But the flat "ass" on my little car, and the fact that if another driver in a snub nosed little car like mine could drive up close behind me roll down the window lean out and knock on my rear window, well that make me more stealth sensitive regarding the back of my car.
But then if you want to do parking mode i assume you would need 2 hard wire kits

Very good reliability, very good video, very good value for the money. Mounting and maintaining may not be so easy based on your car and your preferences. It would be my choice, at least at the front :cool: I think the B1W makes a great cam for any other position as less is usually needed there, but you can use something better if you wish to ;)

If you're in one of the colder parts of the US a 4K cam might work OK, but I wouldn't recommend them in most of our fair Country as summer temps do at least occasionally reach the levels where problems happen with them anywhere else.

Phil

the ideal solution would be 2k cameras, back and front, but with External controlling unit, with single micro sd and if possible connected to modern cars multimedia displays. as for motion detectors, they should be also 2 units, for front and for back. why external unit? because of reducing camera size and lowering possibility to stole sd card

the ideal solution would be 2k cameras, back and front, but with External controlling unit, with single micro sd and if possible connected to modern cars multimedia displays. as for motion detectors, they should be also 2 units, for front and for back. why external unit? because of reducing camera size and lowering possibility to stole sd card

Yes !!

This sounds legit.

Is this even possible?

Is this even possible?

It's called a motorbike camera ;) But most are only FHD resolution at the moment.

I'd rather have the two A119 V3 though, easy to take into the house, no extra wiring for GPS modules etc., never have any temperature issues, and they are really quite small, not as small as a remote camera, but I never notice mine, they don't block the view or anything.

It's called a motorbike camera ;) But most are only FHD resolution at the moment.

I'd rather have the two A119 V3 though, easy to take into the house, no extra wiring for GPS modules etc., never have any temperature issues, and they are really quite small, not as small as a remote camera, but I never notice mine, they don't block the view or anything.

With two A119 V3, Could you hardwire them both by splicing them together?

Or would you just get two seperate Viofo Hardwiring kits?

I imagine you would have to lengthen the wires coming from the rear

With two A119 V3, Could you hardwire them both by splicing them together?

Or would you just get two seperate Viofo Hardwiring kits?

I imagine you would have to lengthen the wires coming from the rear
You can use 1 fuse tap, but you should have two hardwire kits wired into the same fuse tap crimp connector.
If you need more length, then extend the 12 volt cable to the hardwire kit, not the USB cable. And use proper automotive cable, 5A cable is reasonably robust and quite nice to fit although it doesn't really need more than 2A cable.

12V being the Batter+ for the Viofo correct ?

the other is the yellow ACC, not this one.

12V being the Batter+ for the Viofo correct ?

the other is the yellow ACC, not this one.
If you want to use parking mode then yes, you would need to extend both red and yellow, and maybe black too unless you had a convenient ground point closer. The yellow wire doesn't carry any power, just voltage, so that could be very thin cable, or just use the same cable that you use for the red.

Might be worth checking to see if it needs extending first, I think on my car it would reach, although I actually have it connected to power in the back, so it is not an issue.

Yes !!

This sounds legit.

Is this even possible?

Neoline G-Tech X52
only bad thing, its @1080p front

Back