SG9663DCPRO Not Turning On All The Time At Car Start

chongl

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had a Street Guardian dash cam from when they first launched with great satisfaction, so when I was picking out a dual channel cam for my wife, I opted to go with SG again. I was running a generic wedge style camera hardwired that had no issues turning on in the same car. When I installed the Street Guardian, it turns on at car start only about 80% of the time. When it doesn't trigger, I'm not even able to turn it on manually by pushing the power button. I have to physically unplug the camera, then plug it back in for it to start up (this is the second unit I've tried that does this). Anyone have any suggestions? I'm a little bummed since my other SG is rock solid dependable and I never have to check to make sure it turns on before I drive off, which I now have to do.

Thanks!

What power supply are you using? From your description it sounds like it's the same one you were using for the generic wedge cam. If that's the case your first step should be to use the power supply provided with the camera to determine if it's a camera problem or power supply problem.

Is this the SG9663DC, SG9663DCPRO, or SG9663DCPRO+ ?
Which power supply are you using, included cig (2-wire) or optional SGDCHW hardwire (3-wire)
If SGDCHW what year make model vehicle do you have, and which fuse slots have you tapped into for ACC(red) and BAT(yellow)? It could be a CANbus issue. Choosing the wrong circuits can result in unexpected behavior from CANbus. Are you on firmware 1.17? (for DCPRO/DCPRO+)

In addition to my prevoius reply, if this is the SG9663DCPRO+ (updated rear camera has a deep recessed port) and you're using the longer 6-meter able be aware of the following:

It's possible the cable is backward if you're using the longer 6-meter cable. (and will cause an intermittent connection)
If you’re using the longer cable confirm the straight plug is inserted into the rear camera, and the 90-degree plug is inserted into the front camera. If it's the other way around it can behave how you described it. You can also test with the rear camera left unplugged completely to see how it behaves. Let us know the results. Here's a bit more from the product page that explains both cables:
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE REAR CAMERA CONNECTION CABLE:
IF USING THE LONG CABLE, PLEASE ENSURE STRAIGHT CONNECTOR IS INSERTED INTO THE REAR CAMERA.
IF USING THE SHORT CABLE, THE LONGEST CONNECTOR IS INSERTED INTO THE REAR CAMERA, THE SHORTEST CONNECTOR IS INSERTED INTO THE FRONT CAMERA.
(we also added front/rear stickers on the latest 6 meter cable production)

In addition to my prevoius reply, if this is the SG9663DCPRO+ (updated rear camera has a deep recessed port) and you're using the longer 6-meter able be aware of the following:

It's possible the cable is backward if you're using the longer 6-meter cable. (and will cause an intermittent connection)
If you’re using the longer cable confirm the straight plug is inserted into the rear camera, and the 90-degree plug is inserted into the front camera. If it's the other way around it can behave how you described it. You can also test with the rear camera left unplugged completely to see how it behaves. Let us know the results. Here's a bit more from the product page that explains both cables:
IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT THE REAR CAMERA CONNECTION CABLE:
IF USING THE LONG CABLE, PLEASE ENSURE STRAIGHT CONNECTOR IS INSERTED INTO THE REAR CAMERA.
IF USING THE SHORT CABLE, THE LONGEST CONNECTOR IS INSERTED INTO THE REAR CAMERA, THE SHORTEST CONNECTOR IS INSERTED INTO THE FRONT CAMERA.
(we also added front/rear stickers on the latest 6 meter cable production)

Sorry, it is the + model, SG9663DCPRO+

I am hardwired using this, running in 2 wire mode: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B07FXJD8W1
Camera is on Firmware 1.17. I can confirm that the straight plug is inserted into the rear camera and the 90-degree is in the front. Before I had time to run the wire to the liftgate, I was running only the front camera and still had this issue with intermittent turn on.

Video of the issue. You can see the red light blinks on when I press the buttons, but no response

I would point the finger at the 3rd party power supply. It wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen it happen how you described. Some of those 3rd party kits are Slightly under powered and or have random noisy power.
You can use the included cigarette plug power supply as a two wire hardwire could just cut off the hollow male cigarette plug and you’ll see the red and black wires. Test with original power supply.

If I try with the SGDCHW, can you provide me which fuses to tap into for a 2018 Audi SQ5? I'm currently tapping from the fusebox that is under the footrest.

Newer Audi and BMW European are difficult to use 3-wire directly since their CANbus will throw computer errors. For European cars it’s suggested you using install a CELLLINK NEO battery with optional 3-wire unspliced add on cable. Our SGDCHW would then be connected to their 3-wire.

I'm fine with just 2-wire mode. I just need a power supply that will run it reliably when I start up. Will that still cause CAN errors?

CANbus only applies to 3-wire power. (so disregard)

I would test with our 2-wire cig-plug charger. Again you can hardwire the included power to your fuse panel. Just cut off the male cig plug to expose red/black wires. You cansplice them to your existing 3rd party cable if you cut here:
1616434714036.png
Where did you ground to? A poor ground will cause voltage sag with unstable startup results.
You an manually plug in the cig charger as a test for a few days before you cut anything as well.

I've sort of had a similar issue with my SG9663DC: camera not starting with the engine, the red LED briefly on when pressing shortly on the power button. However, it did start with a long press on the power button, maybe you can try this on yours.

Maybe it's not the same issue, but for completeness: my cam was running with the original 2-wire, and I wanted parking mode so I changed anyway to 3-wire supply (also from SG). Odd is, after replacing the supply cable it still had at least one hiccup, but it worked without problems ever since. I also drive seldom and rather long trips, so it's hard to make statistics.

Back