SG9663DCPRO: Parking mode not recording?

a_loser

Reaction score
Country
United States
Camera: SG9663DCPRO
Hardwire kit: Street Guardian SGDCHW SG9663DCPRO Hardwire Kit Complete with All Fuse Tap Sizes
Vehicle: 2017 Subaru Impreza

It appears the parking mode is not recording. When the vehicle is turned on, I can see through the Wifi/App that it is recording just fine. When I went to see if it was recording overnight, there were no recordings.

Troubleshooting:
- Camera is set to 3-wire mode.
- Camera boots up and turns on when the car is on.
- Camera is able to be turned on when the car is off/no key, by pressing the power button. (I assume this means it is getting power from the battery, so that is not the issue?).
- Turned sensor to high and parked on a busy street, still did not appear to be recording without the car being on.

Any ideas?

I think if you connect to the camera with wifi after you parked your car, then you manually have to start it recording.
At least that's how it is in normal mode, connect with wifi and the camera stop recording, so once connected you have to start recording on the red button in the APP.

Or maybe it do this all the time no matter what ?

Right. I'm not trying to record while in the car, with the car off and connected to the camera by Wifi. I'm just connecting to it with Wifi to view the "old files".

Maybe I am misunderstanding how it works:

I thought that if it were properly wired, I would be able to enter the car after not driving it, and either through the Wifi feature or manually looking at the SD card, be able to view any "parking mode" footage it passively picked up when parked.

Edit: Also, thank you for taking the time to respond.

Right after you turn off the car engine (and ACC is off) do you see the analogue clock icon at the top of the LCD screen?

Right after you turn off the car engine (and ACC is off) do you see the analogue clock icon at the top of the LCD screen?

Yes.

Though, when I attempted to adjust the Shutdown Timer with the vehicle off, I received a "Requires SGDCHW power lead" error message. With the vehicle on, I did not get the message and was able to change the setting. Unsure if this is important. I changed that setting from the default (I think it was 10 minutes?) to 12 hours. Perhaps the problem was there, I will check it again momentarily.

You can't change parking mode options unless both ACC and BAT wires are energized (engine running) You'll get that message if you try to change the settings while manually turning the camera on with engine off.

It sounds like you're good, but here is a basic troubleshooting guide we send out when asked:

If you are experiencing power problems with your Hardwire Kit or parking mode is not recording while the vehicle is parked, please check the following.

1. Are both fuse taps attached, and have 2 fuses inserted into each? The fuse closest to the terminal is for the original fuse from your vehicle, the fuse toward the outside of the fuse tap, which lines up with the red wire is for the hardwire kit (Amber 5 Amp).

2. Do you have a good ground connection? It is essential that the fuse kit is earthed correctly for it to function.

3. Are the Red and Yellow wires correctly connected? Red should be to connected to switched accessory power source, yellow to permanent battery power source.

4. Ensure that the small red LED light on the Hardwire Kit is lighting up when connected.

5. If all power connections are correct and the Camera does not record when parked, check that you have enabled the 3-wire connection in the Camera menu, per the instructions in the manual, which can be found here - http://bit.ly/HardwireManualEN

You can't change parking mode options unless both ACC and BAT wires are energized (engine running) You'll get that message if you try to change the settings while manually turning the camera on with engine off.

It sounds like you're good, but here is a basic troubleshooting guide we send out when asked:

If you are experiencing power problems with your Hardwire Kit or parking mode is not recording while the vehicle is parked, please check the following.

1. Are both fuse taps attached, and have 2 fuses inserted into each? The fuse closest to the terminal is for the original fuse from your vehicle, the fuse toward the outside of the fuse tap, which lines up with the red wire is for the hardwire kit (Amber 5 Amp).

2. Do you have a good ground connection? It is essential that the fuse kit is earthed correctly for it to function.

3. Are the Red and Yellow wires correctly connected? Red should be to connected to switched accessory power source, yellow to permanent battery power source.

4. Ensure that the small red LED light on the Hardwire Kit is lighting up when connected.

5. If all power connections are correct and the Camera does not record when parked, check that you have enabled the 3-wire connection in the Camera menu, per the instructions in the manual, which can be found here - http://bit.ly/HardwireManualEN

Thank you. I had the feeling this would turn out to be a pebkac-type issue...

Findings for anyone else dumb like me: After adjusting the shutdown timer to 12 hours, it is recording when the car is off.

I am assuming that it was actually recording for ten minutes after the car was powered off during my "issue", and I was just unable to distinguish this when I was reviewing the video.

So basically, I'd park, turn off the car, and it would record for ten more minutes before shutting off. When reviewing the videos I just didn't notice I had turned off the car and it was still recording. So when viewing the videos, I would get those extra ten minutes, but I didn't see any "nighttime" stuff so assumed it wasn't working. Now that it's changed it is ostensibly recording for the new non-10 minute setting I put it at.

I hope this makes sense in case someone else has a similar "problem".

I dont have a hard wire kit for my current SG products, so no knowledge base to share of, or hardware to try and simulate the issue.
The shut down timer in the camera should be able to work with a smaller number of hours if you dont need that much coverage, personally when i get to try the parking stuff i will just use a 1 - 2 hour shut off timer.

Whatever, lots of users in here and the company reps to do our best to keep your equipment going, and one more camera on the American roads to make sure the right people get to pay for their stupidity in traffic.

I dont have a hard wire kit for my current SG products, so no knowledge base to share of, or hardware to try and simulate the issue.
The shut down timer in the camera should be able to work with a smaller number of hours if you dont need that much coverage, personally when i get to try the parking stuff i will just use a 1 - 2 hour shut off timer.

Whatever, lots of users in here and the company reps to do our best to keep your equipment going, and one more camera on the American roads to make sure the right people get to pay for their stupidity in traffic.

I think I might adjust the frames/coverage as I go. I don't have a designated parking spot or driveway, so for now I'll probably opt for longer coverage.

Installing the front and rear cameras was fun in a masochistic kind of way. I'm not much of a car guy but it was good to learn even a little more about my car

Thank you. I had the feeling this would turn out to be a pebkac-type issue...

Findings for anyone else dumb like me: After adjusting the shutdown timer to 12 hours, it is recording when the car is off.

I am assuming that it was actually recording for ten minutes after the car was powered off during my "issue", and I was just unable to distinguish this when I was reviewing the video.

So basically, I'd park, turn off the car, and it would record for ten more minutes before shutting off. When reviewing the videos I just didn't notice I had turned off the car and it was still recording. So when viewing the videos, I would get those extra ten minutes, but I didn't see any "nighttime" stuff so assumed it wasn't working. Now that it's changed it is ostensibly recording for the new non-10 minute setting I put it at.

I hope this makes sense in case someone else has a similar "problem".
so you had to change the timer from 5 mins to 12 hours ??? isn't the sensor supposed to record if someone hits you ??? does this fill up your sd card or it all just gets over -written ??? Mine is parked in a garage at night but at work shopping centres I though the idea was it would "sense" it ? Have I got this wrong and have to adjust the "shut- off" timer - sorry for dumb questions. Im new to this dash cam

I think both the time lapse and low bitrate get in among the regular files, and so will be overwritten when it is the oldest stuff on the card, only what end up in the RO folder are safe, or that is it also get overwritten if you have a lot in the RO folder, the SG cameras set aside a undisclosed amount of the memory card for RO events, but worry not it is plenty unless you drive your car like a bumper car / demolition derby car.

I have never tried to use the time lapse part of parking guard mode.

I tried one evening with the camera on my computer table to flick it now and then to create RO events, and i almost became bored with it before the RO folder was eventually deleting the oldest files.

Parking in a garage to conserve battery you can turn off the parking guard / camera, when it have changed to parking mode, just long press the power button and the camera will shut off, next day starting everything will be back to normal, your shut off are only a temp thing so need no countermeasures.

I use the event button to save things in traffic, that of course also end up in the RO folder, and i only go there once a month for stuff for a youtube upload.
As i have parking guard G - sensor on, after stopping slamming the door create a event, so do when i get back to the car and slam the door before i start the car, but there is a parking guard delay timer ( up to 90 seconds delay as i recall ) this delay timer can be used so you can get out of car and slam door before the timer run out and the camera change to parking guard.

The regular parking guard timer in SG cameras only run for 24 hours MAX, which a few have complained about, in the 2 viofo cameras i am testing this limit is 48 hours.
But this do not matter to me as i just have 1 hour on the timer normally, but for testing i do run longer duration's.

The G sensor have its limitations in its sensitivity, but they can work well, testing the blueskysea B1W on my windscreen ( just 1 g sensor camera ) when parked i could trigger it kicking the rear wheel rim of my car, and with the sole of your foot you cant kick a thing that hard after all.
Currently i only have the SG9663DR in my car, but its main unit with the G sensor in it are just draped in its wires over the transmission tunnel in my car, so car body G shocks cant really reach it well, but drop a match on the main unit from 10 CM and it will trigger just fine.

A dashcam must of course be mounted to some rigid part of the car, to pick up vibrations from elsewhere, and thats no problem for conventional dashcams mounted on the windscreen, but the DR the main unit are not supposed to go on the winds screen it is meant to be hidden, and you can make the mistake of hiding it and not mount it to something rigid, so its G sensor function can be bad which it is in mu case with the camera not really installed but more like thrown in the car.

The regular G sensor i have set to off as i dont want potholes to create false events, the parking g sensor i have set to high but it have never triggered in real life yet only by me forcing a event to test it working.

Always play arouund with ýour new camera to get a fell for it and what it can do for you, there is a reset to default option in the menu, so you can always start over with your settings using that first.

Last edited:
I think both the time lapse and low bitrate get in among the regular files, and so will be overwritten when it is the oldest stuff on the card, only what end up in the RO folder are safe, or that is it also get overwritten if you have a lot in the RO folder, the SG cameras set aside a undisclosed amount of the memory card for RO events, but worry not it is plenty unless you drive your car like a bumper car / demolition derby car.

I have never tried to use the time lapse part of parking guard mode.

I tried one evening with the camera on my computer table to flick it now and then to create RO events, and i almost became bored with it before the RO folder was eventually deleting the oldest files.

Parking in a garage to conserve battery you can turn off the parking guard / camera, when it have changed to parking mode, just long press the power button and the camera will shut off, next day starting everything will be back to normal, your shut off are only a temp thing so need no countermeasures.

I use the event button to save things in traffic, that of course also end up in the RO folder, and i only go there once a month for stuff for a youtube upload.
As i have parking guard G - sensor on, after stopping slamming the door create a event, so do when i get back to the car and slam the door before i start the car, but there is a parking guard delay timer ( up to 90 seconds delay as i recall ) this delay timer can be used so you can get out of car and slam door before the timer run out and the camera change to parking guard.

The regular parking guard timer in SG cameras only run for 24 hours MAX, which a few have complained about, in the 2 viofo cameras i am testing this limit is 48 hours.
But this do not matter to me as i just have 1 hour on the timer normally, but for testing i do run longer duration's.

The G sensor have its limitations in its sensitivity, but they can work well, testing the blueskysea B1W on my windscreen ( just 1 g sensor camera ) when parked i could trigger it kicking the rear wheel rim of my car, and with the sole of your foot you cant kick a thing that hard after all.
Currently i only have the SG9663DR in my car, but its main unit with the G sensor in it are just draped in its wires over the transmission tunnel in my car, so car body G shocks cant really reach it well, but drop a match on the main unit from 10 CM and it will trigger just fine.

A dashcam must of course be mounted to some rigid part of the car, to pick up vibrations from elsewhere, and thats no problem for conventional dashcams mounted on the windscreen, but the DR the main unit are not supposed to go on the winds screen it is meant to be hidden, and you can make the mistake of hiding it and not mount it to something rigid, so its G sensor function can be bad which it is in mu case with the camera not really installed but more like thrown in the car.

The regular G sensor i have set to off as i dont want potholes to create false events, the parking g sensor i have set to high but it have never triggered in real life yet only by me forcing a event to test it working.

Always play arouund with ýour new camera to get a fell for it and what it can do for you, there is a reset to default option in the menu, so you can always start over with your settings using that first.
so to see these RO files do I have to remove the Sd card - like i cant download them through wifi to the app ???

I am not sure about the APP, i would assume they was also visible in there, maybe tagged in some way VS the regular recordings.
I am not much of a phone guy, probably even a hater of those, my daily screen time is on average 15 minutes, and if i get / make 5 calls in a week it is a very bad week for me.

So i have always put the memory cards in my card reader to view / retrieve footage

Sadly i am in a unique situation with my SG9663DR in that it broadcast wifi but i am simply not able to connect to it with any phone or tablet, both me and the SG boss Jokiin are at a loss why i have that issue, so i cant go to my car and try to see if i can see any RO files in theAPP

Haha so we’re opposites, you know how to work the camera and I love a good phone app thanks for replying. I’ll take sd card out and have a look - now to find a card reader ….

Using the PC, if you have one i know many kids today dont as they do everything on the phone, well it is also faster, i have a USB 3.0 reader on a same port, so i get the full read speed of the memory card which are up near 100 MB/s where as using the wifi to DL a file or the camera as a card reader you get 10 - 20 MB/s transfer speeds.

I do also encourage all the 10 - 12 people that have my number to call night or day if it is important, but please keep the chit chat to next time we meet as i have a tough time dealing with that on a phone.
It is actually a bit amazing the amount of time i spend here or on the PC in general, as it is sort of just a king sized phone, but here i do like to shoot the breeze, and i am a master of going off topic.
Even if typing for me on the PC is just about as slow as on the phone as i just use 3 fingers, one finger on my R hand and 2 on my L hand :)

The SG cameras come with a little USB card reader, but it is a slow one maxing out at 20 MB/s even if it is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.
The one i use is a multi card format supporting one from Kingston.

Also even if my eyes are old and tired, and for that reason i now prefer to do dashcam settings using the phone and APP, after all the big phone screen are a lot better VS the camera LCD where i for sure need my reading glasses.

If my AU geography is working jokiin / Rick the SG boss is down in Sydney from you, but he have been out for a while after a planned surgery, i fear he have also caught that damn bug going around, it have been far too long for my liking since i have seen him on here.

Using the PC, if you have one i know many kids today dont as they do everything on the phone, well it is also faster, i have a USB 3.0 reader on a same port, so i get the full read speed of the memory card which are up near 100 MB/s where as using the wifi to DL a file or the camera as a card reader you get 10 - 20 MB/s transfer speeds.

I do also encourage all the 10 - 12 people that have my number to call night or day if it is important, but please keep the chit chat to next time we meet as i have a tough time dealing with that on a phone.
It is actually a bit amazing the amount of time i spend here or on the PC in general, as it is sort of just a king sized phone, but here i do like to shoot the breeze, and i am a master of going off topic.
Even if typing for me on the PC is just about as slow as on the phone as i just use 3 fingers, one finger on my R hand and 2 on my L hand :)
Haha I’m far from a kid and yep have a PC. Oh I don’t talk on the phone - that’s why I like it, I don’t have to

Oh I’m a “typer” from way back, my first job used a typewriter (electric - I’m not THAT old )

Also even if my eyes are old and tired, and for that reason i now prefer to do dashcam settings using the phone and APP, after all the big phone screen are a lot better VS the camera LCD where i for sure need my reading glasses.

If my AU geography is working jokiin / Rick the SG boss is down in Sydney from you, but he have been out for a while after a planned surgery, i fear he have also caught that damn bug going around, it have been far too long for my liking since i have seen him on here.
Yes your geography is correct but yep due to that damn bug we really can’t go far here. Sydney is about 2 hours drive away. Hope he jumps back on soon.
I must say I’m a little disappointed in the app ie wish the camera could connect to my home wifi so I could sit inside my home to use it, not in my car. But ‍♀️ I bought the dash cam for added insurance and security not for the app

The SG cameras come with a little USB card reader, but it is a slow one maxing out at 20 MB/s even if it is plugged into a USB 3.0 port.
The one i use is a multi card format supporting one from Kingston.
Oh I didn’t get a reader when it was installed ‍♀️

Back