SG9663DCPRO+ purchase . . . can I use existing SG9665GC connections?

McSpiffy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings:

I currently have four SG9665GCs in my VW Golf vehicles and I would like to upgrade my '16 VW Golf Sportwagen to the dual channel SG9663DCPRO+. Is it possible to use the GPS unit and power cord from my existing SG9665GC or does the SG9663DCPRO+ have different wiring requirements?

My first SG9665GC was purchased in November 2016 followed by three more purchased in December 2020 . . . why was the GPS antenna cord reduced in length (2016 vs 2020)?

Is there any difference for the consumer ordering directly from SG vs. via Amazon? I noticed that Amazon (US) reflects a +$10 difference . . . I'm assuming if I order directly from SG then I'd incur a larger shipping fee.

Are there any current promotions or discount codes available?

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your reply!

For discounts / promotions please contact @Street Guardian USA directly, he (Jon) is going to look after you.
You may use your present (SG9665GC) GPS and wiring, unless you want to unveil the parking mode option, then you need to purchase a special parking mode hardwiring kit for your new DCPro+ set .

I think you want to use the provided power supply that you get with the DCRPO+ the 2 channel system need more power, the GPS antenna should work, the mount i am not so sure about, you probably also need to change that.
If you have any DAB or SAT radio in the car you use, routing the cable out rear to the rear camera you might want to do a test install in the general path of the wire you intend to take, there have been issues with these 2 kinds of radio systems with pretty much all brands of cameras as far as i can tell, but at least not taking "the wrong" route should make things a bit better.

I hope you are not going for two SG9663DCPRO+ systems to replace the 4 GC models, cuz if you are the SG9663DR is a much better idea for side cameras.

kamar: thanks for the input. My intent is to replace the SG9665GC in only one vehicle (mine). Funny you mention the SG9663DR - I have it cue'd up in my shopping cart! My concern with the SG9663DR is where to locate the remote screen. The VW Golfs have a small compartment that's accessed near the driver's left knee; the compartment pivots open and I believe there should be enough room to house the screen and extended the connected cables into the dash behind it (removing this compartment also allows access to the fuse panel). My other concern would be routing the cable to the rear camera - I have a panoramic sunroof thus the cables would have a narrow route through the headliner near the doors. I definitely like the cleaner profile with the SG9663DR . . . how does it compare to the Blackvue DR900X-2CH?

Yeah i also saw after my post you write vehicles ( plural i think it is called ) so i gently banged my ´Danish head against the computer table as it is 5 in the morning here and i need to go to bed.

I have been testing the DR for SG for over a year now, and aside for a Bermuda issue unique to me there are no problems ( for the love of god i am not able to connect to the wifi all of a sudden, but other than that no problems and i can do settings on the screen with the buttons )
It is still a 1080p camera VS the 4K DR900X you mention, but i wouldn't rule out 1080p just yet, still very valid sensors in dashcams i think, but they will probably be replaced as rear cameras by 1440p at some time on higher end systems ( at least that is my hope )
Resolution 1440p and 4K are also the future for sure, SG just have not pulled the trigger on 4K yet as they are not super happy with the options in hardware, they will release a 1440p camera soon i am sure, and i have been testing 2 of those lately in other brands and i like it just fine.

Installing the DR as you touch up upon are a bit different, the main unit with the screen you should put somewhere out of sight, but it dont have to be in the deepest darkest corner of your car, my install for testing are pretty fast so the camera main box are just draped over the transmission tunnel in its wires.
But even if you like me have been used to traditional dashcam installs in the past decade the DR was something else for sure, but not in a complicated or annoying way, but you do have that main box to put somewhere.
Originally my plan was to mount the main unit on the back side ( not inside ) of my plastic glove box in my little Suzuki car, but i have found out if you want to use parking guard ( G sensor ) thats probably not a good idea, in that case you better mount to something very rigid in relation to the cars body.

I will be moving the DR system to side camera duty before the summer is over, the system i have there now is okay for retirement after 2 years of testing and the maker have moved on a long time ago.

In a small car ( mine in a mini 5 door hatchback ) you can often route down below, far away from any airbags and antenna, and my car is small but it is not a micro category car, here the DR system is very usefull, with just the GPS antenna to really worry about as it is not super long, and i think we could extend it if we wanted to.

kamkar (I spelled it correctly this time): thank you for the insights and for the love of God, GET SOME REST!!! I have no faults to speak of with the SG line of products . . . I'm obviously a supporter of their product. I'm not inclined to rush out and try the "latest & greatest" although it prompts me to further my research into such developments. I respect that SG hasn't pulled the trigger yet on bringing 4k to the marketplace. Producing such an image creates larger files and greater processing power which results in higher internal operating temperatures - perhaps this is part of the hesitancy on SG's part . . .

I will most-likely opt for the SG9663DR; I'll just need to ensure that my preconceived installation location and routing will be fruitful.

Thanks again for your reply! It's nice to have a community that ardently supports products and is so willing to provide constructive feedback to others. I also sense this bond with the VW community since there are plenty of enthusiasts out there and the ability to modify/install aftermarket parts is so prevalent!

I am battling a decade long sleep disorder, sadly over here we have ultimate public healthcare 2.0 ++ deluxe, which for some strange reason do not work for me, i swear i speak Danish to my doctor, but i have a feeling they hear some exotic language they dont understand.
For over 30 years i always asked the doc ( not a place i come terrible often ) how come i am not able to gain weight even if i do nothing but eat all day, and with 6 foot 2" and only 60 kilos can it really be i should look like a inmate in a Nazi prisoner camp.
But i just went on ignored, and so at 50 my back and a lot of other things gave up, probably my mind too . :)
At least the welfare system work,,,,,, well sort off, so i have been on early retirement / pension for 5 years,,,,,,, the actual pension age here is 67, which i can look forward to cuz then my pension get even smaller.

I think for the DR the length of the different wires are listed, so if you want to make sure before you pull the trigger, you can do a dry run with some string or wire to make sure you are able to run the wires as you plan to do.
It really suck having tucked wires in really good just to find out you are 1 foot short.

The DR due to its nature, also come with a hard wire kit and as i recall fuse adapters too, so you just need to make sure you get the right ones.

The DR have both neodymium and dual lock tape you can use for mounting the main unit somewhere
I have my in-boxing video here where i ramble on a bit about what is in the box.

kamkar: thanks for the included video . . . it's making me rethink my install; I'll probably just locate the remote screen in my glovebox (still a small footprint but the connecting cables take up quite a bit of room).

I empathize with your sleep disorder. My sleep patterns are on a constant state of flux due to my profession (firefighter). Despite working a 24/48 hr schedule, my quality of sleep doesn't reset during the two days off, even during vacation I find myself still waking at 5am. I recently started increasing my vitamin D intake as well as Super K. There's quite a bit of research indicating that vitamin D deficiency is prevalent in our modern society. I'm not sure it will aid in my sleep patterns but it should help with my immunity.

Did you encounter any parasitic draw to your electrical system when you ran the SG9663DR on your vehicle? I'm always leery of installing aftermarket electrical components in a modern vehicle due to the overwhelming amount of computer-driven systems in today's vehicles. My current DG is set for ignition-on only . . .

I am "FF" too, not professional, but as a sailor you need to do stuff on your own, so firefighting and smoke diving are a big deal of Being a Danish sailor in the merchant marine.
I loved those bi annual refresher courses, even if you have drill on the ship every week too, but the courses have real fire and high heat, so i jump strait into hero mode and go all in.

No parasitic power draw i can detect, i did put in a new battery in my 2012 car shortly after i got the DR system, and for parking mode i mainly just test with 1 hour on the timer as i dont really feel that big a need for that feature, but it is there so i must of course test it.
And like all other SG cameras testing on them are pretty uneventful due to the massive work the company boss also put into his products..

Of course you dont have to use the parking guard, just dont turn it on in the camera and it will act like a normal setup, set the low voltage to 12.2 Volts, and then in case you should feel a need one day just turn it on in the camera, with 12.2 on a decent battery that will be many hours ( 2 digit ) of parking mode.
ATM there is a 24 hour limit for parking guard, there have been some complaints about this, so it might change, on the Viofo A139 i am testing the limit is 48 hours and i even think it have a OFF too so you leave it to when ever the low voltage kick in.

The GPS with the DR is made for on dash mounting and not on the glass like most other models, but i have mine installed "backwards" on the glass at the bottom of my windscreen, and i cant tell then GPS antenna is installed wrong.

It is true hooking something up to fuses in modern cars can be a drag, fortunately SG have a good tech to lean on so just hail the boss @jokiin and tell him your car make and model / year and he will have some fuse numbers for you to try in a day or so.
I think this overly smart electrical system are very prevalent in European cars.

The remote button have 3 functions.
Short press = save event file
5 second press = turn on / OFF wifi
10 second press = turn off camera ( if you for instance use parking guard but dont want that going while your car is parked in your own garage )

I have mine placed on the center console between the seats. right behind the P brake.

Good thing #2 with the DR system is it is useful for side cameras, so if you get that upgrade bug soon, you can just relocate the 2 DR cameras to side glass ( fixed if you have that, otherwise you will have to get creative )
Having a "full" 360 view are cool, though far from needed for liability coverage in traffic, many of us dashcam addicts have that.

Last edited:
I respect that SG hasn't pulled the trigger yet on bringing 4k to the marketplace. Producing such an image creates larger files and greater processing power which results in higher internal operating temperatures - perhaps this is part of the hesitancy on SG's part . . .
4K is something we plan to do, just waiting for the hardware to catch up, current options all have overheating issues which is a dealbreaker for us

A well-done 2K can be nearly as good. There's more to vid quality than resolutiion.

Phil

@jokiin What Is the measurement of the rear mount for a SG9663DR? Specifically where it attaches to the glass. Thanks did not want to start a new thread just for this question.

Back