SG9663DCPRO+/SGDCHW Issues with Kia K5

sworist

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone, thanks in advance for the help.

I recently bought a new 2022 Kia k5 gt line w/premium package, and was trying to hardwire the SG9663DCPRO+ cam today. (I bought the correct fuse tap kit, micro 2 fuse taps and got everything set up.)

However, the L-shaped fuse tap doesn't fit into the fuse box. Not in the sense that you can't maneuver it around so that the wiring doesn't fit... the L-fuse tap is too fat. (Pictures below). Kia has put some sort of plastic safety thing around fuse slots on the fuse box so that the fuse doesn't move/cannot easily be taken out (and they provide a tool in the hood) which make putting the fuse tap impossible since dimensions don't match up.

Any suggestions? Really would like to hardwire without sanding down the plastic L-fuse tap, and already stuck on dashcam on the windshield.

Thanks,

Also any suggestions for which fuses I should hardwire to, if I can at all?
240435516_148629284101165_6471099856216919480_n.jpg240764102_2991560151111707_5815298315556309575_n.jpg

I’ll run this by our global installer and will get back to you soon.

Response:

“Unfortunately the customer would need to file the fuse taps' plastic a little to make it fit. That's what I do whenever I do a newer Kai.”

Thank you! Any suggestions on the which fuses to hardwire to?

Response from our global installer

“Hi Jon,

Sorry for the really late response.

I found out Kia Australia hasn't brought in this K5/Optima since 2020. No wonder I haven't seen it on the road or work on one.

Anyway from what I can find out:

Internal fuse location: Driver side instrument panel behind a cover

Fuse type: Micro 2

+12V: Door Lock; memory; Trunk

+Acc: Power outlet

Gnd: Unsure

As always please use a LED test probe or multimenter to test the suggested fuse loccations to make sure the power functions are correct.”

For future users, confirming from above;

Fuse type: micro 2
+12 V: I used p/seat (passenger) [the power seat of the passenger] since I don't have that option (only the driver's seat is powered for my vehicle)
+ACC: Power outlet works well. Don't use sunroof. I tried it before the comment above and it still has power? I thought this was a viable option but no. (so the camera won't power on when you start the car)

Gnd: there's a metal bolt on the side. If you remove the panel that covers the fuse panel from the driver's door direction inwards. It seems to work well.

I will run everything for a couple days and let you guys know if there's anything else/problems.

One more note, you don't need to sand as much as you think you need to. Just all 4 sides and in 10 mins I was good to go

Thanks again.

Last question; If I put parking mode to off, should the camera automatically shut off when I turn off the engine?

Yes if you turn off parking mode in the camera, it should just act normal and only record when driving.
I think this camera too allow you to turn it off in parking mode if you dont really need it where you park, like in your garage for instance, as i recall it just take a long press of the power button after the camera have changed to parking mode.
On next start all will be back to normal again of course.

Personally i dont have a big need for parking mode, so i just use it for 1 hour, which cover all my shopping, and at home it is just 1 hour which should be easy on my car battery even if i have CCTV camera on my parked car.
The low voltage cut off i have set to 12.2 volts, so should i feel a need for it one day, all i have to do is up the timer in the camera from the 1 hour to what i feel for, so my car is ready for longer duration parking mode, i just do not use it.

For future users, confirming from above;

Fuse type: micro 2
+12 V: I used p/seat (passenger) [the power seat of the passenger] since I don't have that option (only the driver's seat is powered for my vehicle)
+ACC: Power outlet works well. Don't use sunroof. I tried it before the comment above and it still has power? I thought this was a viable option but no. (so the camera won't power on when you start the car)

Gnd: there's a metal bolt on the side. If you remove the panel that covers the fuse panel from the driver's door direction inwards. It seems to work well.

I will run everything for a couple days and let you guys know if there's anything else/problems.

One more note, you don't need to sand as much as you think you need to. Just all 4 sides and in 10 mins I was good to go

Thanks again.

Last question; If I put parking mode to off, should the camera automatically shut off when I turn off the engine?

I ran this by our global installer for further comment. Response:

“We don't have this model in Australia and KIA has no plans to bring them in anymore.

I was thinking of the Power Seat fuse as well but not sure as some KIA and Hyundai ECUs shut that part of the power down after few minutes. Because we don't have that car here I couldn't test it. Hopefully that model doesn't do it.

Let's see what the outcome is.

Thanks again mate.”

Yeah. some times we walk a new path, even if we like to or not.
Most times something good come of this so win - win

Back