SG9663DCPro+ Time settings and GPS

oatflake

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got my SG9663DCPro+ installed and I was puzzled about the Time settings. On the app connected via wifi, I only see two possible settings - Sync with Phone and Manual. What setting do I use if I want the time to be set via the GPS? Or is that not an option?

I just got my SG9663DCPro+ installed and I was puzzled about the Time settings. On the app connected via wifi, I only see two possible settings - Sync with Phone and Manual. What setting do I use if I want the time to be set via the GPS? Or is that not an option?
what app are you using?

setting the time is only something you would do if you don't have the GPS antenna connected, no need to enter the time and date menu, all you need to do is set the timezone to whatever zone you're in -5 or whatever is appropriate to your location, the time will be set via GPS

You are not the first one that made that error, and you will not be the last.
My camera are currently set to +2 as Denmark are +1 on the map location, and then another +1 as we are now on summer time, the dashcams cant yet handle DST like phones and computers do.
so set your time zone factoring in DST and you should be golden.

I just wanted to make sure that my setting of "Sync to Phone" won't disable the GPS from keeping the time. That's what I have it set at now.

No i think the GPS time + time zone will always override any manually entered time/date, so no need to change all that to 00:00:00 ASO

I cant remember the layout of the SG APP, but if there are some tag for sync to phone time, you should un-tag that though i dont think it matter if the GPS antenna are connected.

I cant remember the layout of the SG APP, but if there are some tag for sync to phone time, you should un-tag that though i dont think it matter if the GPS antenna are connected.
There really isn't a way to "unset" it from what I can see. It's either Manual or Sync to Phone. I'll leave it alone and see how the time goes; in the past my pervious dashcam would time drift after about a week.

yeah as i recalled ( damn rare i use a APP, or my phone in general ) just set your time zone factoring in daylight savings, and you are golden.
I haven't tried to press the sync to phone option in the APP or enter a manual time, it is so intrinsic to me after using dashcams for a decade that if you have a GPS antenna you dont bother with time/date other than setting your time zone.

If not using GPS the time/date should still be saved by the RTC clock inside, but it is a fact that these can go bad not least on cheaper cameras, in which case the camera will most likely reset to some default time / date

If you have this problem but use GPS, then your camera should get a fix and the correct time set pretty fast so often you dont notice that problem might be there, but SG systems should at least hold the time / date for a week

Normally the default time / date a camera will use if the RTC battery have failed to save the time/date is a older one in the past, so if you have that problem, but your memory card is full, then your first file saved will use that old default time / date, but then as the GPS is fixed and the time now correct, when the next correct timed file is going to get saved, and the memory card is full, your first recording with the old default time / date will be deleted to make room as it is the oldest file on the full memory card.

So if you later review your memory card you will not have a strange old time/date file on there, but you might notice your last drive start so to say X minutes down the road depending on the segment size you use.

On the other hand if you do not use GPS and have a reset to default problem, which then probably happen on every start of your car, then you have problems as you will be "groundhog" driving and doing so with the same default time/date for each drive, and those will always be the oldest ones on the memory card, so its just a big old mess to put it lightly not least if you have a event.

I just named the problem groundhog driving after the movie "groundhog day" where the guy relive the same day over and over, just like your dashcam would if it woke up every drive with the same time / date to go by.

As always at first with a new gadget, play around, familiarize yourself with it, look at the memory card to see what it have done.
And since you are in the SG family now, relax, there will be people to have your back, and good support.
Remember to register online for +1 year warranty

There really isn't a way to "unset" it from what I can see. It's either Manual or Sync to Phone. I'll leave it alone and see how the time goes; in the past my pervious dashcam would time drift after about a week.
if GPS is connected it will sync the time 15 seconds after getting signal each time the camera restarts

Back