SG9663DCPRO: Why does it beep when i connect to WIFI?

My speed settings are in KPH (Canada) and that is how it shows on my PC.
When I run the videos with the SG Viewer both show up as KPH. (I just checked to be sure).

Ah ok I switched to KPH on dashcam viewer and it matches. (see below) The embedded number vs data interpited viewer numbers do mismatch/lag slighty from time to time not sure anything can be done for that. @jokiin can clarify further if needed.
1592079911138.png

Wow! There is more than a slight mismatch. I thought it would be better than that. What part of the viewer can be relied upon to provide accurate information?
It shows vehicle movement when there was none at the 20-30 second mark. It shows much faster speed than actual at 1:14 mark and I can't figure how to interpret the values approaching the stop sign at the 2:05 mark. The viewer value decreases to zero while I'm still driving about 40, and then it shows 52 while I'm stopped at the stop sign. How can that be?
I'm hoping the cameras are as good as all the reviews I've read because I bought two pairs. I haven't started to install the one in the other vehicle, I wanted to make sure the first one was working ok first.
I guess I'll hope for the best. Maybe the viewer will be improved soon.
Anyway. Thanks for all your help.

There is always a slight lag between GPS and camera versus actual car speed- dashcam GPS devices aren't 'fast' but are rather basic designs. Viewers use scripts to decode the GPS data embedded in the video which takes time too but it shouldn't be very different than what the cam shows.

If there's a viewer issue, @traveler who made this viewer will likely have it sorted out soon.

Phil

I also think the player are always extrapolating on the speed too, at least i think it is if there is a gap in the GPS info.
but yes the dashcam GPS are slow, i can brake hard from the default town speed of 50 km/h, and when i am stopped the camera GPS still indicate 25 km/h.
Same accelerating, if you can call what my 1000 CCM Suzuki car do that, but when i get to 80 km/h at the end of my #2 gear the dashcam are probably only as far as 60 km/h, but it do get to the right speed soon enough.
If you go thru a long bend, you can also see a mismatch as the GPS calculate in strait lines in between 2 points in time and space, so turn fast enough and the GPS will measure the distance which you have not travled as you have been on the road but the GPS cut the apex of the turn in a strait line.

At least thats my feeling.

Besides no court would even settle for a speed from a un-calibrated "cheap" dashcam, so they will calculate your speed from the video to make sure.

I did not come to this forum to have someone imply that I bought "cheap" cameras. Cheap is a relative term. Relative to ones financial situation.
Nor do I intend, as far as I know, to be present in court any time soon.

The purpose of my original question was to get an opinion as to whether or not my camera and/or viewer were working as intended.

It appears to me that if the information displayed in the viewer is not accurate then it is generally of not much greater value than a regular media player, with the exception of the ability to display both cameras together (PIP).

I have had a GPS in my car for years and it always coincides with my speedometer so I will be able to verify whether or not the camera GPS module is accurate or not. Time will tell.

I'm not sure how often I will use the WiFi feature now that I know how the app works. Again, time will tell.

To all those who provided helpful information, I thank you very much.

SB

Wow! There is more than a slight mismatch. I thought it would be better than that. What part of the viewer can be relied upon to provide accurate information?
It shows vehicle movement when there was none at the 20-30 second mark. It shows much faster speed than actual at 1:14 mark and I can't figure how to interpret the values approaching the stop sign at the 2:05 mark. The viewer value decreases to zero while I'm still driving about 40, and then it shows 52 while I'm stopped at the stop sign. How can that be?
I'm hoping the cameras are as good as all the reviews I've read because I bought two pairs. I haven't started to install the one in the other vehicle, I wanted to make sure the first one was working ok first.
I guess I'll hope for the best. Maybe the viewer will be improved soon.
Anyway. Thanks for all your help.
the speed embedded in the video is from the GPS data feed, there's a one second delay as the speed has to by injected frame by frame 30 times a second to do the overlay, so aside from being one second behind that's the most accurate, the playback software (as I understand it) takes the GPS data for the full clip and then averages it out for playback, I think the disparity comes due to the start of your clip not having GPS signal which throws things out, it should more closely match during subsequent clips where the GPS had signal for the full clip duration, I think what you see relates to the method used by the player to extract the data, the player gets updated an an annual basis at minimum and it's an ongoing process to improve it

on another note, at the start of the video you adjusted the lens up, you should adjust it back to where it was, it will give a better result from the auto exposure if you aim it back where you had it, you will also have a point of reference as to where the front of your vehicle is should you need to prove something, that can be important too

Good morning. It is a nice sunny morning here in my part of Canada and Covid cases are lessening.

Am I correct in saying that the speed value at the bottom edge of the video is from the camera GPS, and the value at the top is the interpretation by the viewer? If this is true I can live with that as the GPS value appears to be reasonably correct compared to other devices I have. I guess I will ignore the information displayed in the viewer, and not display the dashboard window.

Is the speed value at the top there by default or can it be not displayed?

Regarding the lens angle, I noticed that when I viewed the videos. I've fixed that. It looks like I moved it one notch too much. I'm not used to notches, and it was difficult to see the small screen when the sun was shining in my face.

Now I have another SG camera to install so I better get busy. Bye.

Am I correct in saying that the speed value at the bottom edge of the video is from the camera GPS, and the value at the top is the interpretation by the viewer?

Is the speed value at the top there by default or can it be not displayed?

That’s correct.

You can turn Speed Unit off in the DashCam settings menu to remove the embedded Speed number shown at the bottom of the video.

The actual GPS data Is embedded into the file itself. (And read by DashCam Viewer)

I want to keep the reading at the bottom of the video, that appears to be accurate. It is there whether I use the SG Viewer or a media player.

If there are no settings on the Viewer to allow me to turn off the value at the top, then I'll have to live with it and hope it will in time become more accurate. It doesn't have much value there, nor on the dashboard speedo, if it's not close to the actual GPS reading. Maybe a longer drive will show me something different.

Back