SG9663DCPRO - Wire management/thickness?

Kaitlyn

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I currently have a dashcam I've installed myself (front only) which goes under the front headliner and down the A pillar, although it isn't tucked IN the A pillar. Then down and around the door, tucked under some of the rubber flaps and whatnot.

I imagine I would wire up the SG9663DCPRO in exactly the same way, but I wonder about difficulties/messiness with 2 wires coming down from the top windshield, as well as how thick/flexible the cabling is to run down and to back of car?

A bit lazy/cheap and don't care about the cleanest install, so I don't think I would be taking the route of a "professional installation"

Also haven't thought about it enough, but I think I would NOT be doing hardwired/parking mode...

If you're not concerned about a profesional install, what you have described sounds OKAY. However, the most important thing is that you do not leave wires loose in front of side curtain airbags. This can be dangerous.

Rear Cable is 5mm in diameter (has extra wires inside with special shielding so can’t be extended)

Most important thing is you don’t route wires loosely in front of any side curtain airbags. (That would be Dangerous). The pros (at your local car audio shop) remove trim and route the cable behind any side curtain airbags along the top zip-tied to existing cables. Dual channel is not an easy DIY install compared to single channel.

If you're not concerned about a profesional install, what you have described sounds OKAY. However, the most important thing is that you do not leave wires loose in front of side curtain airbags. This can be dangerous.

It's sort of "tucked" into the corner/wedge between the window and pillar, but is not actually IN the gap fully. I also am going to install clear clips just to keep wire in place at very edge of window/right up against the pillar. I assume this is fine?

At least on my car, I don't think there is any way to get it into the fabric of the a pillar without pulling out the airbag unit (or risk pulling it out!) - I'm okay with the non-perfect clean install, but don't want to raise safety issues :)

It's sort of "tucked" into the corner/wedge between the window and pillar, but is not actually IN the gap fully. I also am going to install clear clips just to keep wire in place at very edge of window/right up against the pillar. I assume this is fine?

At least on my car, I don't think there is any way to get it into the fabric of the a pillar without pulling out the airbag unit (or risk pulling it out!) - I'm okay with the non-perfect clean install, but don't want to raise safety issues :)

You need to confirm there isn't an airbag in the pillar. You shouldn't tuck wires in trim gaps in front of potential airbags without creating a safety issue. Trim is usually removed, and cables are routed behind them zip-tied to existing wires.

All those trims, pins and clips. Nightmares. Eventually I broke an inner plastic grommet protecting the liftgate's wiring harness.
BTW: I was the "professional" installer [emoji6]
BTW2: A "really professional" installer would have broken more things, believe me. I saw them in action.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

An experienced pro installer has the right tools and knowledge to remove trim without breaking everything. Those trim clips are pretty loud when snapped in/out.

You talk about USA. In here, I bought trim tools and studied workshop manuals to do it myself.
The problem is those manuals are misleading sometimes.

I took apart all of my trim when installing mine lol. Just take your time and be careful and should be able to do it without breaking anything. I did a full install and review video on this camera in my car.

Browswed it, going to view through tomorrow. Hovever, you cabled a sedan, not a hatchback with liftgate.

My installs. Both with liftgates.

Back