SG9663DCPro wiring question

n.wilf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Till now I have been powering the device using the (switched) accessory socket. Now I want to hardwire to my car and have the hardwire kit.

But, I don't think (unswitched) battery voltage is available on fuse box inside my car. I don't want to run wires through the car's firewall and the parking mode feature is not that important to me.

The hardwire kit instructions say both wires must be connected and black connected to ground. Can I connect both the red and yellow wires to the accessory (switched) power? Will the unit function normally as it did when powered by the accessory socket?

Thanks for any advice.

Edit:

The hardware kit is described as

SG9663DC Hardwire Kit Add Parking Mode
SKU: SGDCHW-TAPMINI

Last edited:
What car make / model / year fo you have?
If till now you have been usig a cigarette lighter charger and it switched on/off with car engine on/off, then you should have a switched fuse as well in the fuse box.
Check all fuses with multimeter and you should find switched fuse.
Also please the book that came with the car for the fuse box layout to find an accessory fuse.

What car make / model / year fo you have?
If till now you have been usig a cigarette lighter charger and it switched on/off with car engine on/off, then you should have a switched fuse as well in the fuse box.
Check all fuses with multimeter and you should find switched fuse.
Also please the book that came with the car for the fuse box layout to find an accessory fuse.
Thank you for your reply. I know the location of the switched fuse. My question was about how to connect the yellow and red wires when I don't have access to the unswitched battery power. The hardwire kit instructions say both wires must be connected.

As i understand it, it have been extremely rare people with "problematic" cars have been forced to go all the way to the battery for the constant +12 V, though it seem even that is a no - no with some predominantly EURO cars.
If you give your car brand / model SG have a tech that will be able to advise on the best fuse numbers to use.
you can PM it to niko or one of the official SG guys if need be, the rest of us are just interested in getting you and your system out there on the roads.

As i understand it, it have been extremely rare people with "problematic" cars have been forced to go all the way to the battery for the constant +12 V, though it seem even that is a no - no with some predominantly EURO cars.
If you give your car brand / model SG have a tech that will be able to advise on the best fuse numbers to use.
you can PM it to niko or one of the official SG guys if need be, the rest of us are just interested in getting you and your system out there on the roads.
Thanks for the advice. The car is a 2012 Honda Accord 4DR LX-P.

Can I connect both the red and yellow wires to the accessory (switched) power? Will the unit function normally as it did when powered by the accessory socket?
Yes.

At least you can with the VIOFO version and I think they are the same.

if you don't want to use parking mode you can use the original power supply to wire to an ACC switched circuit, just remove the cig plug, the voltage converter is in the small box on the cable not the cig plug so that can be removed for hardwiring, we still cover the power supply under warranty even if you remove the plug

if you do want parking mode I can ask our install tech to look up your vehicle model and advise further

I do appreciate all the help I am getting.

So I spent a few hours measuring voltages at the interior driver’s fuse box and looking at electrical wiring diagrams in the service manual. There are several locations at the fuse box where I can find unswitched battery. But I haven’t been able to find switched (accessory) voltage at any open/unused fuse. Honda uses relays to switch battery power to the accessory sockets and to many other circuits (when the key is on). It’s looking like I need to disassemble the front center console to access the wire which connects directly to the accessory socket.

So, if anyone knows of a fuse number which is switched and can be used, that would help

I did try connecting both the batt and accessory leads of the hardwire kit to the same constant on battery power connection, but the dash cam didn’t seem to work.

Thanks.

No the hard wire kit will not work with the two +12 V wires to the same connection, if it did you would not have the option to do parking guard, and if you dont want to do parking guard you can just use the provided power source, snip off the 12 V plug and wire the red +12 V to a acc fuse and the black wire to GND somewhere to get -12 V

Monday in Australia today / soon so i reckon jokiin will ask his tech on what fuses will be good for your car.

No the hard wire kit will not work with the two +12 V wires to the same connection, if it did you would not have the option to do parking guard, and if you dont want to do parking guard you can just use the provided power source, snip off the 12 V plug and wire the red +12 V to a acc fuse and the black wire to GND somewhere to get -12 V

Monday in Australia today / soon so i reckon jokiin will ask his tech on what fuses will be good for your car.
I don't want to destroy the cigarette lighter plug; I need it for use in another vehicle. I also don't have fuse bock adapter wire thingy to connect a cut cigarette lighter wire to the fuse position in the fuse box. I also have the hardwire kit and want to figure out how to use it.

Anyway, problem solved. I found with some google searching that interior driver's fuse #2 is switched (accessory) and fuse #23 is unswitched battery, so I connected the hardwire kit leads to those and everything works ok.

Thanks.

I understand that. (y)

you can also just get a female cigarette lighter plug, and wire it to the fuse box, but you probably need to tape the 2 together so they dont slide apart over time, after all a 12 V dash socket are not super strong.

1621204340294.jpeg

Some times we stare us self blind and dont see the solution staring us right in the face,,,, at least thats how it is with me some times.

Having the hard wire kit still dont force you to use parking guard, that still have to be turned on in the camera to be running, myself i only use it for 1 hour on the build in timer, and then i have 12.2 V as cut off in the hard wire kit, should i some day feel like raising the timer to 12 or 24 hours.
But cool you got the thing going :cool: now you got some degree of protection against those crazy Cali drivers.

If you have power seats, see if they move when the car is shut off. Mine do. I used that fuse for a source of always on 12v.

Back