SG9663DR firmware updates

Got both, will be driving without CPL filters today

[emoji106]
I like how the red LED above the screen (upper left) and the remote button blink at the same time.

0b137c19e654b57119492529a3f670df.jpg

I noticed that too messing with the system, even if you cant tell by looking at me or my apartment or car, i actually prefer symmetry, which is why people with tattoos just throw me off so much.
Same with the automotive fab of putting a "speed stripe" on your car, but offset to one side, that just mess me up where as 1 or 2 speed stripes down the middle of the car do nothing for me.

The firmware instructions says I have to erase everything on the card before the update and then a format of the card + reset of all settings. Is this clean-slate tactic normally necessary for every update?

Please add a display mode that just shows the camera feed without the button labels on the bottom. For those of us outputing the display from the AV port to an external screen, it'll make the output look better.

Also, the display mode doesn't seem to be saved. Whenever I pop-on, it defaults to PIP when I had it set to only Front camera before.

Could there be an option to show the time with am/pm?

Wasn't there suppose to be an option to eject the card (to stop recordings so it can be physically removed)? If not, then is there a way to manually stop active recordings? I think it does it automatically when going into settings but is there a manual way to do that?

The firmware instructions says I have to erase everything on the card before the update and then a format of the card + reset of all settings. Is this clean-slate tactic normally necessary for every update?
basically yes, the reason we say delete everything off the card rather than format it is we get people that format in their computer and then try and update which doesn't work for cards larger than 32GB, the larger cards need to have been formatted in the camera to be able to be used for updating

Please add a display mode that just shows the camera feed without the button labels on the bottom. For those of us outputing the display from the AV port to an external screen, it'll make the output look better.
not sure if this is possible, will have to look at how to manage the AV output versus what we need on the display

Also, the display mode doesn't seem to be saved. Whenever I pop-on, it defaults to PIP when I had it set to only Front camera before.
this is normal, there is a handshake that has to happen to make sure cameras are working before recording, can't change this one

Could there be an option to show the time with am/pm?
everything is based off the GPS time which is 24 hour format, this probably won't change

Wasn't there suppose to be an option to eject the card (to stop recordings so it can be physically removed)? If not, then is there a way to manually stop active recordings? I think it does it automatically when going into settings but is there a manual way to do that?
no, the card should only be removed or replaced while it is powered off, manually power down anytime you need to take the card out

basically yes, the reason we say delete everything off the card rather than format it is we get people that format in their computer and then try and update which doesn't work for cards larger than 32GB, the larger cards need to have been formatted in the camera to be able to be used for updating
I mean, why format at all? Are the old settings stored on the card incompatible with the newer version of the firmware? So I shouldn't put the firmware on the a spare card to do the upgrade and then afterwards put back the original card? And if I'm rotating between multiple cards, I should format all my cards after an upgrade so no old settings are introduced back the system?

Or is the concern that after a upgrade, the time is initially wrong and so new videos will initially have the wrong timestamp and maybe that causes problems for the video rotation system?

not sure if this is possible, will have to look at how to manage the AV output versus what we need on the display
I guess this is not that important if the default display is PIP. Maybe have a screen saver option that just displays the video feed with no gui and also allow the screen saver to work over the av output?

this is normal, there is a handshake that has to happen to make sure cameras are working before recording, can't change this one
I don't understand what does the initial handshake with the cameras have to do with what is shown on the screen. It's like saying if I press the Panel button to only show the Front camera, there is no guarantee that the rear camera will continue to work in the background. The screen and av out are so low resolution that the PIP mode is kind of useless other than for the user to do a quick check of the feeds. If you must have the user do a manual check of the camera feeds, then I rather have it default to cycling between all the cameras every few seconds. Why even have a configuration option to choose what is shown on the screen if that setting is not saved or is ignored at power-up?

Maybe I'm in the minority in those that use the av output. I just think with the main unit hidden away, it is even more important to allow the user to set default settings so buttons don't need to be pressed.

I mean, why format at all? Are the old settings stored on the card incompatible with the newer version of the firmware? So I shouldn't put the firmware on the a spare card to do the upgrade and then afterwards put back the original card? And if I'm rotating between multiple cards, I should format all my cards after an upgrade so no old settings are introduced back the system?
no settings are stored on the card, concessional formatting is a good thing to do to keep cards healthy and in check, there may be a situation after updating that the clock is out until you adjust the settings and you can end up with some out of order files which can impact recycling, if you updated with a different card that would be a non issue provided you set things back up again before putting the other card back, again, formatting is a good thing to keep things in check anyway

I guess this is not that important if the default display is PIP. Maybe have a screen saver option that just displays the video feed with no gui and also allow the screen saver to work over the av output?
will look at this and see what's possible

I don't understand what does the initial handshake with the cameras have to do with what is shown on the screen.
it's part of the boot process, after they're running it's fine, all our two channel cameras work the same way, needs to work this way unfortunately

Maybe I'm in the minority in those that use the av output. I just think with the main unit hidden away, it is even more important to allow the user to set default settings so buttons don't need to be pressed.
understand your thinking

Is it a possibility to have the wifi turned on by default (not including parking mode)?

I think wifi consume resources, and so the cameras might use a lesser bitrate, at least that is how it is in some cameras.
It do also generate heat not least from the LCD screen.
The wifi stream also have a delay to it, not a massive one but it is there, also with wifi on that overrule the automatic start and stop recording features so you would have to remember to manual start recording every time you start your car and the camera have turned on ( with wifi on too )
stop recording i dont think are a problem when the wifi are on, if you stop the car with the wifi on i assume it just change to parking mode as normal.

Same as if you turn on wifi, the camera will stop recording, so if you are driving and still want to record you will have to start a new recording by pressing the REC button on your phone screen. ( unsure if you can also use the camera REC button at this time )

I know its a new toy and all, but really you are best off if people dont know the cameras are there, and a LCD screen going will signal that.

Also in Denmark at least it might be illegal to have a "movie" going on a screen the driver can see, but a LCD reversing camera / LCD mirror in new cars are okay to be on all the time, but of course this only display what is behind you.

With my old 4 channel analog setup connected to my 7" head unit in the car, i did try to drive by the LCD screen footage as it had no delay, but this is extremely dangerous and not something a sane person should ever attempt.
but just like flying FPV planes or quadcopters it can be done once you adjusted to the more or less skewed depth and distance perception the lens give you, and your eyes seeing the exactly same thing so they cant do the compensation they do when we see stuff.

I was just looking for a way for my phone to determine that it was in the car (I use tasker). Since my car doesn't have bluetooth or wifi, I was just thinking of having the phone detect the wifi ssid of the DR.

Well the wifi will have a very limited range too, remember it is inside a metal box, and far from as strong a radio as in your home router.
You can try and turn the wifi on, and then walk away from your car to see what range you get, my guess is when you loose the wifi signal you are almost with in spitting distance.

Me i delete APPs on my phone, so i would have to look up what tasker are :) on this phone / mobile tech i am like stone age, the phone i carry is only there for the sake of my dear old and sick mother, when she go my phone most likely also go.
If i dident read news on the toilet or used the Danish waze like app to warn me of speed traps ( though i now drive pretty much within the law ) well if those dident count i think i use my phone 5 minuted daily on average, and it is not uncommon i just get or make 1 call in a entire week.
The phones really annoy me now, that was not the case with the dumb mobile phones, though at the end of their reign and as smart phones appeared i did go about 10 years with no phone.

I was just looking for a way for my phone to determine that it was in the car (I use tasker). Since my car doesn't have bluetooth or wifi, I was just thinking of having the phone detect the wifi ssid of the DR.
OK, I understand. I've used Tasker before. Typically, running wifi constantly is detrimental to dashcam performance and longevity, so most manufacturers will have wifi off by default.

Dashcam wifi is weak, plus it generates extra heat which is already an issue with these small devices. If you want a cam you can check on remotely use an IP cam- they're designed for that where dashcams really aren't.

Phil

Does your phone have NFC?

Does your phone have NFC?
I have a NFC disk stuck on my dashboard but I often forget to use it. I'm trying to figure out a way to only have wifi on at home and only have bluetooth on in the car. Maybe I'll try try something with location to track where I parked my car.

Noticed that when using the AV cable, the 'panel' button doesn't do anything. To switch to another view, I have to do it from settings.

Was just going through recordings (made w/ original 1.09 firmware) and found a few where the front cam didn't have the text/logo (custom name, speed, time/date) in the video, but the rear file for the same time DID have the logo/text. later on during the same drive, the logo/text reappeared in the front files.

was this fixed in 1.10? i'll flash it anyway, but just checking in case you didn't have any reports of this.

Back