SG9663DR Installations

TonyM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A139, M1S
A thread for anyone to share ideas and experiences about the options, opportunities and challenges regarding installation of the SG9663DR Dual Remote Dashcam

The main recording unit is about the size of a pack of cards and has 5 cable connectors at one end, each with a labelled plug to receive a longer cable:
6m remote camera
4m remote camera
3m remote recording indicator / event button / microphone
~1m remote GPS
~6m hardwire kit to fuse box

I spent a few days experimenting with various locations for the main unit until I settled on this location, mounted on a side panel in the boot (trunk) of my car. I still have a bit of cable management to do.
y4m2eg_lNTNS9SyMBzyps3msNVq-mILwVdy17ewUVSipYEMtNaBIaTVt1V_yyrNPS3rFl6vb8C1zA_EhxlQ15ZHa7IorQ0_t78q7kSqe-sKK_GWtHUuqII4o0PriGCQhnpw1Mnkhh02_EAJ6ipLXefGPMkHkbE5MfmMqmx_jXEvl9GJZpZGmVs9hZlPEYzagHOdATwvSear1murg7V0CXgy2w

My reasons for choosing this location were:
- Main unit and cables are out of sight when driving & parked
- Easy access to the main unit, to set/check settings and to remove/insert the microSD card
- Main unit remains out of sunlight, keeping the operating temperature low

The weight of the 5No cables exiting the unit tends to pull it down on one side, so I used the 5No supplied self-adhesive cable clips to secure each cable to the side panel.
y4mk4gucoYJ_JUIWGohxFpCt3wkxMGlQLi8abWFAeW5AzvHOfogDETXk8H0SEtoy6AzJD-6PJZeVg9xnZbrTusoEKkYrCF4zSaXjR7GZ3dSw-ugvjwvwEa4jted4SfM-W5Hp9xASWh-VomLUpt8szAEYhUF3uOX8HygSapR9_ep_2hD04MSCOtlFYyzk4JIK44tqlBtdWJqlthzCtiY_mFFvg

The remote recording indicator is just long enough to reach the centre console between my front seats, where a quick glance down at the LED confirms that the DR is recording. The cables on the left come from a USB-hub within my armrest that supply power to other dashcams in my car.
y4mqzzm7VTSOshqL3-By5fZexjyetLXKUJwDL8jMrqGUW1CnNjQSUOct-NTFt5kt6gyP6JIkJ8qD73FQLNWZcGMs9GUkMMGX381dluOnQlQy258x-pz-fcoeDxrUPRe2eC1aZgOW7J5XyvaKIaoe7J7OLdq7DDynN-EIkiQrwX-qrAn-BYU9v7ZQHV7tqPd-Z0cxHm6DgNrbpqzat-gl0gtZA

The indicator is multi-functional, containing an LED, the microphone and a button. A short press of the button triggers an event recording, a long press turns WiFi on/off, so it was important to me that I could see it and reach it from the driver's seat.
y4mSyeaoOfRo1BUG9U9r_cR3uZYbJP8ph3f_bw6bMB_3EPgUXBcRSkLCauwS4noHqtYwYkPm98R1R32MwGXyIYY8ogidRE24ozmW2BOxnkjR0uHXDfPyWQHnMO2C5C_WmGzKkCe8oIfquIV6D1ClKZDru1LbQucI_YCE3SZjsC2Y0GpOpU4ILCo-XQPWJiUxXcfkv53zlUN0xIwFxYiO_l-dw

The remote cameras are a tube-style, unlike SG's previous rear cameras on models like the SG9663DCPRO. The camera rotates within a fixed collar on the mount. The remote camera cables connect with a 90-degree plug that fits into a recessed socket in the end of the camera. My previous dashcams have mostly been wedge-style cameras that I installed to the passenger side of the rain & light sensor housing behind the rear view mirror. The tube format of the DR front camera forced me to re-think the ideal camera position. I tried both driver and passenger-side of the sensor housing but was never completely happy with how it looked. Then I realised that the tube shape allowed the camera to be placed in front of the sensor housing, almost central to the windscreen with the cable tucked along the edge of the housing.
y4m1SRGGQjbNNA3gHjgYIJl4vF6zq1nhCxzgBIsCE-dVxJ4x5nLyZMU_8FixoXrB503QONKW63akaVRxd65GFH2Bk6SO3n1bIS1UHGTIDH_ov9ndyirldwTxTakcOTxl691bzslvh5L0SwK0q17fgBxk9eNz_F21PuRIWYhWdb9qYk07mBTgVHdspsPNfQivkoNEtWMC0hgB7R6nk6eKapZpw

The rear camera is in the same tube format. Here, I was able to position the camera at the top of the rear window, with the cable tucked neatly under the plastic trim around the tailgate.
IMG_20200629_175445-02.jpeg

y4m14052Z9sYGZabnGL76ggzU2dPaFo9x-l7uMQpKca7xFVLyPertAWamr65sVArs4pLKRWgJepDDKANHFkm1sldhYj_9ADC4SkSowJmHF51eEr5zXgdjGoZlEopYwXcUcky4dDGdFXZfQrnGG8h-ZbtA9WO1ekssMZOlG3t5HFOGnc2NLM4Q35eIj54BKzXKtohWrvPMrccjE5DF0G09Ouug

Installing the DR posed quite a few challenges, mostly around where to place the recording unit that was both out of sight and easily accessible, whilst also finding a way to keep the cable routes tidy. Although the UK does not experience really hot weather like some other parts of the world, it is reassuring to know that the recording unit containing the processor and memory card is kept out of direct sunlight. The cameras themselves generate very little heat.

The audible beep on the DR is noticeably quieter than on some other dashcams I have used. Combined with installing the recording unit behind the rear seats I have to listen hard to hear the beeps, which is one reason I wanted the remote LED to be visible at a glance.

Last edited:
A view of where I have installed the front camera below the rain sensor housing. I have frit areas on both sides of the housing, but I was not able to hide the camera there on either side without the housing obstructing the view, or the camera interfering with my own view of the road.

y4msmmR9K9-z9scM9CAnUjzKsJKZLOkXCyW7BWt-2KtFw9UWW4KveFJqyvJnUnk6gQCqLx4j7LcHU0yWytxl9vETFKupiaQhQOceVnhKsR3m1VIsYI5ucyEekYNQ9Ekz3ygZVZbXVbaXr2R5NNyrprHQWa9xDN5thG-R11n7jVA0gZW9GY2XbWvSNeM8wg63xSghlc_IGDiyaQvhytn68BSpQ

EDIT : I will try again to install the camera on the frit above-left of the mirror

Last edited:
Thanks for posting these images @TonyM. They confirm my initial impression and concern that the design is far less stealthy and problematic to mount than it otherwise could have been. After waiting fully two and a half years since this camera was first announced by jokiin the lens module design was, at least for me, (and a couple of other members) rather underwhelming. Then again, Street Guardian has never been known for design innovation. They tend to copy other cameras or use "public" housings in all their products. In this case they simply copied and slightly miniaturized the basic tube style design Blackvue first intoduced many years ago.

My concern was not the tubular design though, which I like, but the mounting plate seems to be a big part of the problem as I see it. It seems to virtually double the overall footprint of the camera, reduces the possible mounting options, prevents the cam from being mounted right up close to the very top of a windscreen and makes the installation less stealthy. In fact, the mounting plate literally makes its own very noticeable footprint on the glass, separate from the camera which I believe was entirely unnecessary.

I would have liked to have seen perhaps a slightly longer tube with swivels at both ends with the mounting plate behind the camera module, thus eliminating the big extraneous mounting plate. This would have been more stealthy and probably more secure. Cameras with a mount on only one side (like the mini 00X series, for example) have a tendency to vibrate on rough roads. Living on a rural dirt road on a mountain and having tested such cameras extensively, I've become keenly aware of this issue.

Something more along the lines of this older rear camera design from Lucas would have been more of what I was hoping to see.

tube cam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
as I've said before, there are compromises to any design, none are perfect, certainly not perfect for everyone, the Lukas design is small but wouldn't work with our choice of hardware

The Lucas design is just an example of a concept, You picked a different concept. No compromise needed.

Also a unconventional mount you will need for a CPL filter on that lukas design, though it might well be more suited than the K2S cameras.

It also look as if it is a 8 mm lens on that lukas, or at least not much glass on the front part of it, so with more glass even more of a challenge for CPL install.

Cameras with a mount on only one side (like the mini 00X series, for example) have a tendency to vibrate on rough roads. Living on a rural dirt road on a mountain and having tested such cameras extensively, I've become keenly aware of this issue.
I don't have your extensive experience with such cameras as the mini 00X series, my only previous tube camera being the much cheaper B1W. The DR mount though does appear to be stiff enough with a very close fit between camera and mount that noticeable vibration seems unlikely. I'll have trouble finding a mountain over here, but I can test driving on a dirt road.

My concern was not the tubular design though, which I like, but the mounting plate seems to be a big part of the problem as I see it. It seems to virtually double the overall footprint of the camera, reduces the possible mounting options, prevents the cam from being mounted right up close to the very top of a windscreen and makes the installation less stealthy.
When I first saw pictures of the DR one of my initial thoughts was whether the length of the mount plate would restrict installation of the camera in some locations. A shorter plate would be more susceptible to sag and vibration though.

If I had a frit/tint strip across the top of my windscreen then the visible footprint on the glass could be smaller. In my case I have mounted the camera out in the open, so it is certainly less stealthy than if I had mounted on or behind the frit area.

I may have another look at mounting the DR camera on the frit above-left of the mirror, approximately where I have the Mobius mounted in this image.
IMG_6001-02-01.jpeg

Hopefully other DR users will contribute to this thread and share the variety of their installations.

I have repositioned the DR front camera to the driver's side of the rear view mirror, and installed a Viofo A129 Pro on the passenger side.

y4mK9JVlMD9Ng-3XZuBKWvJAtpXW5UmJj2O1BG_mwz3KZEyArnFSn6-IOzi6zMb0XumxQ2pIJ84GdVhpHsasmXg7YhaatCx0qUVoPrn5y3l8XMHbpVqO20ZihEzz-yTiuzQ_2PER7IRff7GpbK8Ti1wdh-_sgmagxEpYXEzs9xMp6zB7FCal54zFfB51WKoDDrLOGKjYqjiHdUWebWKwvwazg

This is the view from inside the car
y4m7o3B3ItBO0kszQI9hbVRdutaapJ8_2tZ_ZkYv0_sWZephq_UHv95RPDqzUld4XEulJQmBSQUXHb7wiiRTfoR5Qf2oi8QMDOUW0bB3-CqY4RKGdK_AaqnZxLcPhkK0kWIaMs01slpCpNsYjepBZliGEsOvgAXgiGuO6JWRkunRqYZpDrUdhZ4eKEnyxc7bIteX_L7CoLxJAK9BwOn7b36rQ

Last edited:
On my 2008 Sienna, a large part of the upper area of the windshield is tinted and has a shade in the center. I'm thinking of mounting the camera below the shaded area for the best but lower perspective image, but the camera will be fully exposed to the sun. Horizontally, the mount point can be on the left of the mirror mount (spot 3 in photo), but then the mirror mount will block the camera from being pulled out from the clip (in case it needs servicing). Next will be spot the right of the mirror mount (spot 4), but the camera lens will be further from the center. Comments?

50065741467_7975ff843f_c.jpg

Also, I was surprised there is an AV output to the main unit so I'm thinking of getting a L-angle 3.5mm to rca cable so I can send the video to my car's center screen. I assume the AV out mirrors the output of the unit display. Is there a way to toggle the camera view from the remote button? Double-click? I think we need a cheat sheet of all the commands possible from the button.

What is the USB port on the main unit used for? An alternative method to power the unit? Is that a mini-usb connector?

What are the magnets in the package used for? I'm thinking of sticking a metal plate to the back of the main unit and so it can stick it to magnets mounted inside my glove box. Then with enough slack in the cable bundle, I can easily pull out the unit from the glove box and use it while still sitting in the driver seat (not while car is in motion of course).

Where should the ferrite cores be used? Or don't worry about them unless I get interference?

Horizontally, the mount point can be on the left of the mirror mount (spot 3 in photo), but then the mirror mount will block the camera from being pulled out from the clip (in case it needs servicing). Next will be spot the right of the mirror mount (spot 4), but the camera lens will be further from the center. Comments?

50065741467_7975ff843f_c.jpg
Take note of the direction of the cable exiting the camera when you change the camera orientation. I think locations 4 or 5 will work best. Not being exactly centred is not a big deal.

What are the magnets in the package used for? I'm thinking of sticking a metal plate to the back of the main unit and so it can stick it to magnets mounted inside my glove box
The pair of magnets stick to each other. They both have VHB tape applied. Stick one magnet to the back of the main unit, then stick the other magnet wherever you want to mount it.

What is the USB port on the main unit used for? An alternative method to power the unit? Is that a mini-usb connector?
I used this port with a powerbank as a temporary power supply whilst experimenting with camera and recording unit locations.

Yeah i think the USB port are for if you use a regular power source.

USB port is definitely mini-usb. I thought I read elsewhere that the usb connector on the cameras was non-standard. Had to borrow the charging cable from my daughter's TI-84 since that still uses that ancient connector.

I can't get the AV port to work. Used a 3.5mm sterero male to red/white rca female adapter to my ntsc TV and I can't get a signal. In settings, I have it set to 60hz and NTSC, but did try a combination of 50/60hz and NTSC/PAL in case the mention options are swapped. Tried both left and right rca cable in my TV. I wonder if it's needs a non-stereo connection. Now I regret throwing away all those 3.5mm to rca video-out cables that came with my ancient cameras.

Plugging something into the AV port does blank the unit's screen, but that is fine for my purposes since the main unit will be hidden in the glove box anyway.

Yes the Shape are USB alright, but the number of pins are not, the same have also been practiced in some dashcams with micro USB and lately USB C
+ and - 5 Volts are probably in the right place for a regular USB, but the rest are a roll of a dice.

...Now I regret throwing away all those 3.5mm to rca video-out cables that came with my ancient cameras.
Never admit publicly that you ever threw out any form of outdated/obsolete/useless geegaws or doodads. That's grounds for revoking your membership in the TechNerds club. :LOL:

Somewhere in one of my 'junk boxes' I think there's an unopened pack of 10 DSDD 5 1/4 inch floppy disks. Maybe I'll send them to the Smithsonian...

Back