SG9663DR new install Questions - GPS, ferrite cores, GPS Shark Fin interference and mounting the head unit.

Steve_Parry

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Many over 10 years. Currently 1 x SG9663DCPRO, 1 x SG9663DR
Hi everyone,
I've nearly completed the install of SG9663DR new install on Australian Hyundai i30 PDv4 (2021 version). All has gone smoothly (actually very easy on a PD i30) and I'll post some photos later if I get time.

Just waiting for Micro2 fuse Taps (thanks SG Australia - great service as always!), and to fit the GPS.

I need an extension cable for the GPS antenna - it is woefully short for reaching the head unit. I'll get that tomorrow. Suggestion to SG that they extend the GPS lead for the DR as the head unit in many cases could be in the back of the car.

My questions are:
  1. The instructions say that the GPS module must be mounted with the label facing up. I've always mounted them attached to the front windscreen which means they were kind of facing down. What's the impact of sticking them to the windscreen (sort of angled down) instead of on the dashtop facing up (Wife doesn't want the dashboard top to have 'gadgets' on!)?
  2. Where do the 4 x ferrite cores go? At the each end of the camera leads?
  3. I've read (forum post and after I installed the rear camera) that the rear camera can be badly affected by the cars' GPS shark fin. It's about 20cm from the shark fin. Will this be a problem? How do I fix?
  4. I've mounted the head unit horizontally under the driver seat on a plastic air duct (well away from any kick risk!). Then I read (forum post) that it needs to be mounted vertically and on a solid surface for the G-sensor to work properly. Advice please!
  5. I've got a tint on the rear window. Obviously this will impact the rear camera. Any suggestions of setting adjustments to help compensate?
Many thanks - super excited to see the DR in action!

Cheers
...Steve

1: the DR GPS unlike most others are made for on dash mounting VS the norm which are on windscreen, but i have my DR GPS antenna mounted upside down on the windscreen in the bottom L corner and i cant say it is any slower than i have seen GPS be
2; the ferrite chokes are to put on the camera wires ( near the ends of them ) in case you might suffer from RF noise issues to SAT or DAB radio. But you do not have to use them, just a extra SG provide knowing they might be needed.
3: I have not heard about car items affecting dashcams, normally it is the other way around with the dashcam cameras giving problems to SAT - DAB radio and there have also been one case where it interfered with the build in GPS of a Subaru. In this case alternative / different routing of a wire might be needed.
4: No how you mount the main unit are not a problem, but what you mount it on can be somewhat of a problem, for little G sensor events to reach the main unit and get detected it would be best if it is mounted to something very rigid, but we also have to realize that that will be pretty hard to do and still have a reasonable access to the camera, and i am sure it will also pick up any harder event on your car while parked.
Normal cameras that go on the windscreen are better suited for this as it is firmly attached to the body of the car, so little events can better reach it VS say going thru interior trim plastics that i assume work sort of like a shock absorbed.
I tested my DR ( which is just draped in its wires over my transmission tunnel ) and i was not able to trigger the G sensor when parked by kicking any tire of the car, and this have worked with other conventional cameras.
But dropping a match stick on the main unit it did trigger alright, so i am sure it is working just fine.
The fact yours is mounted VS mine will probably also make things better for you, i would use high sensitivity for parking G sensor, but do play around with it once you got it installed, kick tires with sole of foot - push car body hard on roof line where you do not make a dent in the car - when changed to parking mode "slam" doors with varying degree of force, maybe have trunk open when you turn of car, and then "slam" it when parking mode are on.
If you dont use the delay feature the change to parking mode are instant.
5: you can compensate for the tint by changing the EV setting for the rear camera, but how much you will have to experiment with

Back