SG9663DR Pics

travoltron

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are there any images/specs of this device? So far it seems like a perfect rig, but I have no idea what it'll look like

No this one are still shrouded in the mists of secrecy.

I would assume:

1: the back camera look like back camera for the DC model, the front might be different shape, i am not aware of the adjustability of these cameras as i dont have one yet.
2: remote main unit i belive will still have a screen so you can do your setup with it and then stash it somewhere ( dont bury it too deep you need to get hold of memory card once in a while )
Personally i think i would fab up some form of bracket to go on the back side of my glove box, so i could reach in over the open box and grab the unit in its "dock/ cradle and pull it out to do whatever.

Maybe a few months and we will get some teasers to make sure people looking in that direction are not too fast to go elsewhere.

If/when this gets a little closer to light, I'd love to get my hands on the CAD files so I can 3D print a cradle for it

I suspect the dual remote lens is just two SG9663DC rear dashcams, because the SG9663DC rear dashcams are in fact remote lens dashcams itself - so just a matter of having two of these units for a dual remote lens dashcam.

1.jpg

As for the main electronic box to be stashed away from sunlight in the glovebox etc, it will probably be a "boxier" version of the current SGZC12RC single remote lens unit.
The ageing SGZC12RC has a clamshell shape that is too futuristic for most tastes.

41xkjQ-0TOL.jpg

Here is the Koonlung K1S twin channel remote lens dashcam styling.
I don't think the forthcoming SG9663DR main control box would look too different from the Koonlung K1S below.

prod56251e6ea0535.jpg

the DC rear cameras will be one of the options, we also have another camera which is about half the size that is waterproof and can be used internal or external, the main unit is much smaller than the main unit of the SGZC12RC, probably about a quarter of the size

the DC rear cameras will be one of the options, we also have another camera which is about half the size that is waterproof and can be used internal or external
With the same/better image quality than DC rear? Sounds really promising. (cannot wait to order one :) )

I think the ability to add an external drive for recording would be neat, should last longer than the micro SD cards, more fault tolerant and more storage for the dollar. Maybe now as the DVR is being stored elsewhere, it can be an option?

Reactions: TNT
Not with the coming DR, but i do hope it is something that SG have on the roadmap, maybe in a model with a larger main unit so it can also support a better cooling and so higher bitrates,,,,,, a "race" version if you like.
In my perspective you can make the main unit as large as a cigar box as its size don't really matter much as most people will hide it from sight.

Depends on the cigar box. I don’t want it taking up my entire glove box.

I was thinking of 1 X 4 X 6 inches, or a lot larger of what we will get from SG this time around im sure.

Looks like I'll be ordering another SG camera once the DR comes out.

Depends on the cigar box. I don’t want it taking up my entire glove box.

It doesn't necessarily need to be in the glovebox or center console. Could easily mount under the front seat of most vehicles - either directly on the floor or hanging from the seat frame. I mounted a TON of remote dvd players in vans/SUVs that way back in the day, and even today most new vehicles still have plenty of space there, except maybe exotics and sports cars. advantage there is generally good airflow, completely shaded (and insulated) from direct sunlight, and the metal floor itself (if you can run screws that deep - which may be a bit risky in an EV like a Tesla) makes for a GREAT heat sink on hot days. Even if the DR main unit ends up being about the size of a deck of cards, i'll probably still mount it under the seat. Easy to get to the sd card, less wires in the dash (which is hard to deal with in most cars), and easy access to the B-pillars to run camera cables, and the lower sills for connecting power in the kick panel. Heck, depending on where your seat belt is, you might be able to mount the main unit near the bottom of the B-pillar for even easier access. Bottom of pillar might not be a good location for the main box in case of a hard t-bone wreck though... but under seat should be fine for everything except maybe a flood.

Around 1999, I installed a baby-AT computer mainboard (might actually have been this board i found while searching for dimensions) under the driver seat of my 95 Camry as a dedicated MP3s player. In that setup, I actually had a 17gb 3.5" IDE drive hanging from springs in my center console, with a long IDE ribbon cable going out under the edge of the console to the mobo below. It ran a stripped down version of win95 so boot time was about 10 seconds (including POST!) and defaulted to a playlist of all MP3s on shuffle. LCD text display (40x4 chars - almost exactly single-din size, so it fit perfect below my single din head unit) running from the parallel port, and a numeric keypad on an old carphone stand for controls - ff/rew, changing tracks, play/pause, and toggling shuffle. If I remember right, it was something like an athlon 200mhz, maybe 16 or 32 megs ram and just used onboard sound to minimize height of the board. Onboard sound was fine - I'm no audiophile and my car had too much road noise to tell the difference anyway. Tiny little 120w psu (AT so it had an actual power switch, not the soft-power ATX stuff), and a simple 100W 12v inverter to power that via a few relays and its own power circuit (probably 12-14awg). Since it was basically read-only, I disabled any sort of caching to prevent errors from "improper shutdowns" and disabled scandisk on boot, and used some winamp plugins to help keep track of what song was playing and its position, so that when i parked the car, it would basically start at the same place again when i got back in. I even had a website with what we'd now call a blog (i called it a build diary), but it's not online anywhere anymore, since i don't host my own website anymore, and space on the free blog sites is limited.

Last edited:
I always wanted a car PC but i never got around to it, nowadays i have a cheapo tablet which don't really do all the things i would like from a car PC.
On the other hand many new head units have pretty much all i need, i got a taste of that on my POS old win CE head unit, which i sorely would like to replace.

So a nice new 2 DIN head unit, with a quadcore or better, recent Android, and a mobile data hot spot standalone or as part of the head unit, and i think i am done for in this regard.

Around 1999, I installed a half/mini-AT computer mainboard (a little less than 12" square if i remember right) under the driver seat of my 95 Camry as a dedicated MP3s player. In that setup, I actually had a 17gb 3.5" IDE drive hanging from springs in my center console, with a long IDE ribbon cable going out under the edge of the console to the mobo below. It ran a stripped down version of win95 so boot time was about 10 seconds (including POST!) and defaulted to a playlist of all MP3s on shuffle. LCD text display (40x4 chars - almost exactly single-din size, so it fit perfect below my single din head unit) running from the parallel port, and a numeric keypad on an old carphone stand for controls - ff/rew, changing tracks, play/pause, and toggling shuffle. If I remember right, it was something like an athlon 200mhz, maybe 16 or 32 megs ram and just used onboard sound to minimize height of the board. Onboard sound was fine - I'm no audiophile and my car had too much road noise to tell the difference anyway. Tiny little 120w psu (AT so it had an actual power switch, not the soft-power ATX stuff), and a simple 100W 12v inverter to power that via a few relays and its own power circuit (probably 12-14awg). Since it was basically read-only, I disabled any sort of caching to prevent errors from "improper shutdowns" and disabled scandisk on boot, and used some winamp plugins to help keep track of what song was playing and its position, so that when i parked the car, it would basically start at the same place again when i got back in. I even had a website with what we'd now call a blog (i called it a build diary), but it's not online anywhere anymore, since i don't host my own website anymore, and space on the free blog sites is limited.

from back when mp3car.com was a thing

My car is so old the radio only works in morse code with headphones, and for music I have to keep a small chamber orchestra in the trunk. None of them like the upright bass player- I wonder why? :ROFLMAO:

Phil

It doesn't necessarily need to be in the glovebox or center console. Could easily mount under the front seat of most vehicles - either directly on the floor or hanging from the seat frame. I mounted a TON of remote dvd players in vans/SUVs that way back in the day, and even today most new vehicles still have plenty of space there, except maybe exotics and sports cars. advantage there is generally good airflow, completely shaded (and insulated) from direct sunlight, and the metal floor itself (if you can run screws that deep - which may be a bit risky in an EV like a Tesla) makes for a GREAT heat sink on hot days. Even if the DR main unit ends up being about the size of a deck of cards, i'll probably still mount it under the seat.

I had to mount my SGZC12RC in the glove box, so that the LCD touchscreen is both accessible and visible.

I tried to mount my Cellink Neo FePO4 battery pack under the front seats, but there is simply not enough vertical space under certain models, especially if the front seats have air conditioned seat bases.
In any case, even if I did manage to mount my Cellink Neo under the front seats, the switches and LED indicator would neither be visible nor accessible.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Street Guardian 44
Back