SG9663DR recieved.

kamkar

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Dash Cam
10 years, many dashcams
So i got one of the DR systems to beat on, and after my inboxing video it have also been installed in my car.

Not a deep undercover install just yet, i really like to be able to see what is going on, so the main unit are on the side of the gap between my center console and the plastic console that cover the P brake and have a cup holder too.

So far i got some feel for the thing.
First of all both front and rear the way i have the cameras installed the angled plug are almost a major issue, i think it would be better if the plug in the camera was turned 90 degrees in relation to its current placement,
Second the length of the GPS antenna put quite a damper on where you can install the main unit, for instance under a seat, that's out of the question unless you lengthen the wire with a extension.

With the mount the rear camera, well it is as if SG designed it special just for my rear hatch, fits like a glove.
On the windscreen it also fit well and i could actually have installed it a bit higher on the dotted area, still it is about as stealthy as it get.

Installing the GPS antenna in the lower left corner of my windscreen i was just able to snake the wire down at the base of the A pillar, strait across above my pedals and the steering column and then down to the lower part of the center console.
If you want it up high on the glass, well that even more so put a limit on where the main unit can be placed.

Other than those little problems it was a nice product to work with, i do like the recessed USB plugs in the camera units, and i also like the multi-pin connectors and how they screw together ( metal and plastic versions )
After working with those inserting the GPS mini jack was sort of a buzz kill.

I did also snag some pictures, but when i was done the sun was setting so i will have to redo those tomorrow.
I did however drive a little trip around town to capture some video, but i have not looked at it yet

O BTW in the menus there was also a little ???? under resolution when you enter it you have one or two channel to choose from, and since both cameras was connected only dual was select-able, so i press OK and then resolution pop up, and here the only choice are 1080/30 - 1080/30, but if you the hit OK to that you get back to selecting one or two cameras, at least it did not feel right in that menu item, but it is also the one thing i have found in relation to the menus so far.

BTW 2.0. It would be nice if the 2 camera wires was marked with camera 1 and camera 2 ( i dont think they are ) so i of course had to switch the two around so camera 1 is the front camera and camera 2 is the rear camera.

Really looking forward to another summer day tomorrow, just got to gas up the little red lightning cuz it is very low on go juice.

O and reinstall the T3 rear camera, it had to make way for the DR camera, so will reattach it tomorrow albeit a little offset this time.

Okay i have just gone over the first video, which i wont even share, but due to the dead animals on the outside of my windscreen, so tomorrow the car will also get a trip to wash world.
And just to be sure while the washing machine do its thing i will clean the windscreen on the inside, though i have already dont that many times lately after i got the T3 to beat on, but one more shine never hurt anybody.

O and the microphone (y) you want to put it on something strong, a flimsy cheap plastic box with stuff rattling in a compartment are not so good, so will also have to do something about that tomorrow.

keep in mind this GPS mounts with the logo side facing up, it's not a window mount one for this model, extension cables are no problem if it needs to be mounted further away

.......First of all both front and rear the way i have the cameras installed the angled plug are almost a major issue, i think it would be better if the plug in the camera was turned 90 degrees in relation to its current placement,...............
.............With the mount the rear camera, well it is as if SG designed it special just for my rear hatch, fits like a glove.
On the windscreen it also fit well and i could actually have installed it a bit higher on the dotted area, still it is about as stealthy as it get.
So are the 90s good for you or not? "Almost a major issue and fits like a glove" are a bit different. How are they almost a major issue? Maybe if the cams were mounted on a steep angle glass the 90 would be hitting the glass? @jokiin If the 90 is in the way of the glass would a straight USB Type Mini-B Male-USB to Type Mini-B Female USB fix the issue?
temp.jpg

Last edited:
Almost a major issue and fits like a glove" are a bit different

The bend in the plug are a issue in regard to how i have it installed, so the plug / wire are hard up against the glass.
BUT ! the plug fit in the camera like a glove

I will have pictures of the issue later.

you can not use a USB wire like that, they are normally 5 pin where as these have many more pins.

keep in mind this GPS mounts with the logo side facing up
well i put it on the glass anyway, and it work fine, otherwise i would have to put it under my home made dashmat.

The bend in the plug are a issue in regard to how i have it installed, so the plug / wire are hard up against the glass.
BUT ! the plug fit in the camera like a glove
you can not use a USB wire like that, they are normally 5 pin where as these have many more pins.

my bad. sure looked a Mini USB (5-pin) B-type on the camera from the photos I saw posted though I see the 8 pin on the main unit.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

I viewed it as a good thing the way the camera cables have the 90 degree plug. It keeps the wire close to the glass, neat and tidy. Not sticking out where it can get snagged by something (esp on the back hatch), and quickly goes up into the trim. And yes, the recessed plugs make the connection feel a lot more solid, and really do fit the cables like a glove.

Here's a photo on my back hatch
IMG_20200625_221842.jpg

Day #2

So today started up a mess, i managed to make the unit lock up totally, not even pulling power to it worked ( at first )
But it is of course also all my fault, cuz i have never used hard wire kit before so after the car wash i parked my car, and then to clean the windows inside i pulled off both cameras ( assuming while the unit was in parking mode )
And a harsh treatment like that the camera did not like, so to tell me it was not enjoying being treated like that it locked up ( screen frozen red dot in screen frozen and constant red LED )

But after pulling power a #2 time, and realizing what i had done i assumed i would have to press the reset button, but after the #2 power pull the camera booted up as normal.

Right now the car is parked in the sun in the back yard all buttoned up, just wonder if the 1 hour timer cut off are too short for the car to really heat up, it is 29 deg C outside and sunny with a few clouds and a slight haze up high.

A few install pictures.

c166f2a22e6fde3d19480f3f846c40ff0c490bb3.jpg

e391315d5e92287b5b04b16173ef49f15d8629ee.jpg

8fd856f1d36146f047871963e5211e10258c831a.jpg

aa77bd511362a5664dcf5c588d8729fb11c8d12f.jpg

2f22a921c848a715839d6f207512ad394ddb3dc1.jpg

9e6abd3db47464ea342b0ff97acc06b8705f0271.jpg

Okay if the camera mount was a little taller it would not hurt, as it is it is only it can peek out the glass, 3- 5 mm more would not hurt, but for now this will do.
If i dont use the magnets to install the main unit more permanent later on, then one of those will fit the bill for the rear camera, but just unsure of pretty small bend in wire will push camera around.

@jokiin will have the sure answer, but in my experience you can somewhat heat a cable/connector to gain a smaller bend radius. Not too much though, as the wires inside can be broken. I think it would work here since little is needed, and maybe even sunlight alone can provide the heat.

I do like how it 'hugs' the mounting surface which in most installs will be a plus. Sloppy wiring can greatly reduce the 'stealth' factor of a cam as factory installed stuff never has that, so it kind of draws attention to the place where you don't want attention drawn to.

Phil

The way things are installed in my car now, the fact the cameras have the USB plugs recessed are a big +

Okay this time around i have a few videos.

First video demo the MIC performance ( i think it have auto gain ? )
As i leave my favorite gas station and turn right, you will hear bird chirping thru the open windows, and in the end of the video i let my cghina headunit and factory speakers rip with music.

Second video are just some rural highway / small town and a little bit of oncoming traffic.

Finally for my own viewing pleasure, i have always had my doubts if low bitrate could do enough detail regarding plates if you are parked curb side on a "fast" ( 60 kmh / 37 MPH ) road.
This one i have mixed up and inserted some freeze frames, but other than that no fancy stuff in the editor.

Bonus parking mode file ( all of one ) from the back yard where i park my car, but the thing here is listen to the audio level.
But that level ( if it is MIC gain or what ever ) it reset to 0 with every new file and then slowly ramp up, i would assume if it was intended the level should stay up.
Also my car was totally sealed up, and as you can see on the tree it was not that windy today.

Okay ! that's strange on the youtube video i dont hear it, but playing back the raw file with potplayer the audio level slowly increase until 75% or so where it max out.

Just tried the 2 other windows players, and its also not as loud / prominent with those, maybe i have screwed up some setting in pot player, will look for a reset to default for that player.
No just reset pot player to default but it is still much louder ( only have crappy monitor speakers ) the other players including youtube i can barely hear anything though all my volume toggles are set to MAX.
And its not like the computer are super loud playing any old youtube video or file on my computer.

Okay ! that's strange on the youtube video i dont hear it, but playing back the raw file with potplayer the audio level slowly increase until 75% or so where it max out.
I've noticed the same with potplayer on a few different files from some of the cameras now

Day #2

So today started up a mess, i managed to make the unit lock up totally, not even pulling power to it worked ( at first )
But it is of course also all my fault, cuz i have never used hard wire kit before so after the car wash i parked my car, and then to clean the windows inside i pulled off both cameras ( assuming while the unit was in parking mode )
yeah pulling the cameras out while it's running would do that, need to manually power off before disconnecting anything, while the screen is on you can press and hold the OK button for 6 seconds to manually power off

Back