SG9663DR update

I imagine the DR main unit will have one USB socket for power input, plus two more sockets for the remote cameras. If one of those was angled I could see it clashing with the other two.

Yes the housing itself or other adjacent plugs can make things clash.
I am thinking why SG not make the HW kit with a socket A output to the camera, that way all they had to provide was different wires depending on the model.
BUT ! maybe that just make things more expensive.

By that jokiin mean the USB plug that go into the camera, the DC have a angled plug as it connect to the right side of the camera, the DR i assume use a strait plug,,,,,, though on the DR with the main unit being "on the loose" so to say i cant imagine the angled plug being a problem ?
if it used a straight plug then we'd just use the SGX2HW instead, different setup on the DR through necessity, if you have something which is potentially going to be used hidden away then you have to think about cable management

Indeed.
My new PC look like a bird nest, will have to tidy it up tomorrow and bolt in the last few panels to hide the worst of it all, but just had to work fast as i got a sudden urge to go online on my stupid little phone.
It is working nice, but video editing power have not increased by much, probably due to me still having the old GFX card in the machine.

Due to brain melt down i had to install water cooling a #2 time, so drain again, redo and fill up again :oops:

there will likely be more mention of it here prior to release, we won't add details to our website until it's ready for release

Are there any pictures which can be shared?

ETA on the release to the market?

No pictures out yet.
But as i understand it, the camera will have a little main unit in line with what the K2 motorcycle camera have, so pretty small, and the cameras will be much like how current remote cameras look on SG and viofo dual channel products.
Dont think you will be able to get one for X mas present, at least not unless you are willing to put that off by a month or two ( guesstimate )

No pictures out yet.
But as i understand it, the camera will have a little main unit in line with what the K2 motorcycle camera have, so pretty small, and the cameras will be much like how current remote cameras look on SG and viofo dual channel products.
Dont think you will be able to get one for X mas present, at least not unless you are willing to put that off by a month or two ( guesstimate )

That is what I was wondering, if it will be out by X mas

Thank you!

you will have to wish for a gift card to the US seller then ;) and then cash that in a little later.
I think the plan was to have it out by X mas, but the guys ran into a little problems with a older model, so all available personnel was thrown at fixing that issue first.

I have been on the fence so long I have been getting saddle sores. With cooler weather about and not wanting to spend $ on winter tires, I am going to wait longer until I see this and some others. Been so close to a Viofo 129 Duo, and on the RD side a Uniden R3.

you can always get a 50 buck B1W to tie you over, pretty much any camera are better than nothing.

you can always get a 50 buck B1W to tie you over, pretty much any camera are better than nothing.

I do have a cheap one (gift) with VGA for the rear but didn't install it as I was waiting on a better one at the time (Waylens 360 and Blackview DR900 were under development). So I had planned to put el cheapo in our SUV when I put the mo' better one in my car. Yeah, I know.... I agree 100% something is better than nothing, and I/the universe can tell me I told you so should the impending accident happen.

we may have some ready by Christmas but not confirmed yet as it really depends on results of field tests which are not yet complete, appearance wise the standard cameras will look like the current rear camera from the SG9663DC, there will also be some external camera options coming, first type should be available soon, pending test results still

I've just been thinking about installation in my car. The cameras will be nice and easy and won't really matter where as I imagine the cable lengths will be more than sufficient for most vehicles.
The fun bit is the control unit. I may have missed it being mentioned but is it planned to have a screen?
If its planned to have WiFi then that removes most reasons to access the unit on a day to day basis.
For my use where I just like to install and go I would be looking to have it accessible but not necessarily visible.
Im thinking so far:
Either have it secured in the top of the glove box or;
Somewhere inconspicuous around the driver's footwell. Maybe in a hinged box arrangement so I can open it downwards to access the unit when needed. If it's in that area I'd like to keep it from being knocked or getting unnecessarily dirty.

Don't know if anyone else has had any ideas for how they would install it. Would be good to get some ideas (I plan way too far ahead for these things).

Having screen is a surprise for me because I expect the main unit to be hidden somewhere. Wi-Fi was expected because it will be used to setup the camera. If some people will put the main unit into the gloves box I expect some buttons to be touched by mistake sometime or the display to be scratched.

enjoy,
Mtz

Last edited:
I like the idea of a screen, even on a main unit with remote cameras. Much easier to set camera alignment and options. Perhaps a sliding LOCK button could prevent accidental keypress? I think I would want my unit fixed somewhere rather than rattling around in a glovebox.

it has a screen and has wifi
I like the idea of a screen, even on a main unit with remote cameras. Much easier to set camera alignment and options. Perhaps a sliding LOCK button could prevent accidental keypress? I think I would want my unit fixed somewhere rather than rattling around in a glovebox.
This goes with my idea of having it mounted in something that can be pulled down to view/use it from under the dash and then closed to keep things safe and tidy.
Depending on the unit size, shape, and cabling obviously but I guess it's nothing like the size of the old SGZC12RC.
I will certainly be doing some investigative poking a measuring once we've got confirmed details and dimensions.

Edit:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00ZNPWR58Something like this that can be easily drilled through for the cables and secured in place easily. Secure the lid piece to the dash. Have the unit in the main bit that can drop down when needed. I'd maybe look for something a bit stronger and black with magnetic closure and something to secure it in the open position.

Last edited:
1. I don't think the cables and connectors will be happy if you will take out the main camera from its place just to look at the screen, take the card out, etc.
2. That plastic box will make the camera too hot even you will drill some holes. @jokiin should already be aware that some users will try to use some boxes like in above post and the camera will be not cooled as he expects. I don't know how is looking the final product but maybe is better if it will contain some system to fix it in some hidden place and maybe some hard rubber band.

enjoy,
Mtz

Reactions: RLS
1. I don't think the cables and connectors will be happy if you will take out the main camera from its place just to look at the screen, take the card out, etc.
2. That plastic box will make the camera too hot even you will drill some holes. @jokiin should already be aware that some users will try to use some boxes like in above post and the camera will be not cooled as he expects. I don't know how is looking the final product but maybe is better if it will contain some system to fix it in some hidden place and maybe some hard rubber band.

enjoy,
Mtz
If you install it right with enough slack in the cables the tilting it to view won't be a problem. Easily done.

As for heat. Here in the UK I'm not really concerned. I had my mobius stuck to the actual roof metal of the first car I had that in and it was perfectly fine all summer.
I'm sure whatever unit this comes with will survive being hidden away below the dash whatever the weather.

I appreciate in warmer countries there's more to consider and I'm sure SG are doing what they can to cover all the bases as best they can.
They have a large customer base with plenty of feedback from all sorts of places so I'm sure they'll test units with people that would install and use them in a wide range of ways.

Back